• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apostumus who burned the Torah

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
A famous mishna states that five significant events occurred to our forefathers on the 17th of Tammuz and five on the 9th of Av. One of the five of the 17th of Tammuz is "Apostumus burned the Torah [scroll]". To this day, this event has yet to be properly identified and there are many different opinions about who this person was and when the event took place.

Here's an article that summarizes the issue nicely. Suggestions range between a Roman officer in various eras of Roman rule and a Greek officer, in various eras of Hellenistic rule. I once read a suggestion that the word Apostumus (אפוסטמוס) is a scribal error and should be Apostatus (אפוסטטוס), as in "apostate". The author then suggested this refers to an even older event, from the time of Achaz, king of Yehudah.

This subject sparked my interest recently when it suddenly occurred to me that Apostumus was the Latin name Postumus with an added Hebrew/Aramaic alef at the beginning, as we find in some other Hebracized/Aramaicized Greek and Latin words. However, there doesn't appear to be any well-known person by that name who may have been associated with such an event.
So, still a mystery.