• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apocalypse

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So what could be more earth shattering than to discover you are God pretending you're not? What if you were to wake up to such a dream. Would love be enough?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"pretending" that's interesting, intentional.

What is the divine purpose for "pretending" you're not God?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So what could be more earth shattering than to discover you are God pretending you're not? What if you were to wake up to such a dream. Would love be enough?
No. I am not a God, instead I am Brahman. Brahman is what constitutes all things in the universe. Brahman is how we Hindus term it, it is 'physical energy'. You too are that. God is an imaginary idea which many people including other Hindus believe. It is a scientific question. How does love come in? That is a separate question - love what? To fool others?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am i, a wife to my husband, a mother to my children, a goddess to my cats.

If the cats had opposable thumbs to operate the tin opener I'd be out of the goddess job

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

… to go down into a world and live a life through the eyes of those within it.

I would not call it pretending, but maybe “suspension of disbelief” (if godhood is ignored for the sake of immersing one’s self in the world) or maybe even divine amnesia (if godhood cannot even be recalled, for the sake of immersing one’s self in the world).

Humans do something similar when we experience videogames. Who we are in this world is put on pause as we become another person within another world. In a way it is like stories of gods descending to earth by incarnating in avatars. We use technology to descend into created worlds of our own.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No. I am not a God, instead I am Brahman. Brahman is what constitutes all things in the universe. Brahman is how we Hindus term it, it is 'physical energy'. You too are that. God is an imaginary idea which many people including other Hindus believe. It is a scientific question. How does love come in? That is a separate question - love what? To fool others?

different culture, different word, basically the same idea

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No. It is not the same idea. Brahman is not a God.
god as understood in the nt as spirit; which is mind. brahman is consciousness and bliss. god is love and light. divinity means absolute being. that is what is understood from the gnostic, monist. it is understood simply as being; which doesn't exclude anything.

Truth in love

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:

The Soul that rises with us, our life’s Star,

Hath had elsewhere its setting,

And cometh from afar:

Not in entire forgetfulness,

And not in utter nakedness,

But trailing clouds of glory do we come

From God, who is our home:

Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

Shades of the prison-house begin to close

Upon the growing Boy,

But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,

He sees it in his joy;

The Youth, who daily farther from the east

Must travel, still is Nature’s Priest,

And by the vision splendid

Is on his way attended;

At length the Man perceives it die away,

And fade into the light of common day.

~ William Wordsworth

We are not God, but we are a lot closer to Him than most will admit.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
god as understood in the nt as spirit; which is mind. brahman is consciousness and bliss.
No. It is none of that. Plain and simple it is 'physical energy', heat, light, electromagnetism, etc. Brahman is the Hindu word for it, since that is what constitutes the whole universe.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No. It is none of that. Plain and simple it is 'physical energy', heat, light, electromagnetism, etc. Brahman is the Hindu word for it, since that is what constitutes the whole universe.
and that is also what god is understood to be in the gnostic, monist sense too.

jeremiah 23:24

isaiah 66:1-2

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
and that is also what god is understood to be in the gnostic, monist sense too.
Then gnostic and monist views are different from mine because I have no evidence of existence of God and reject such a view. I am neither a gnostic nor a monist, I am an strong atheist.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Then gnostic and monist views are different from mine because I have no evidence of existence of God and reject such a view. I am neither a gnostic nor a monist, I am an strong atheist.
God isn't something besides evething. It is everything. It is a being, a verb, an action.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I would not call it pretending, but maybe “suspension of disbelief” (if godhood is ignored for the sake of immersing one’s self in the world) or maybe even divine amnesia (if godhood cannot even be recalled, for the sake of immersing one’s self in the world)
If so, then God would not want us to realize our true self? God wants the suspension of disbelief to continue in perpetuity?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
the word person, literally comes from the word mask, or false face
Yes, I remember you saying this before. But it doesn't answer the question. What's the purpose for pretending?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes, I remember you saying this before. But it doesn't answer the question. What's the purpose for pretending?
to know all about self. that either i'm a result of chaos or i chose to play the game. it isn't so much about losing/winning but about playing. just learning from it and being happy to be in the game. who wants only to be a spectator; when you can live forever and be all? to be or not to be in being.

https://genius.com/Alan-watts-the-n...s-ii-part-2-captivated-by-the-drama-annotated

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
to know all about self. that either i'm a result of chaos or i chose to play the game. it isn't so much about losing/winning but about playing. just learning from it and being happy to be in the game. who wants only to be a spectator; when you can live forever and be all? to be or not be in being.

https://genius.com/Alan-watts-the-n...s-ii-part-2-captivated-by-the-drama-annotated

I read the article and watched the video. Thank you. But I'm still confused about "pretending". Can't the purpose you describe be accomplished without pretending? Why the deception?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe I would be able to identify a dream as fantasy.

I am not a big U2 fan but the lyrics are interesting. I do disagree that there is only one life though.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Perhaps it is this: Mat 25:39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,6 you did it to me.’