• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOC once again caught maskless in crowded drag bar hooping it up..

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You want to catch COVID to gain natural immunity to protect you from catching COVID? Isn't that a bit like torching you house to stop the forest fire burning it down?

Also, natural immunity plus vaccination is better than natural immunity alone so even if you've already had COVID, vaccination will improve your overall protection (from both infection and severity of symptoms in the event of infection).
It's my way of saying the odds of me dying from Covid are low.

I wouldn't want any virus lethal or not, with exception to beneficial viruses of course, but if I had a choice of vaccination immunity or natural immunity I'll take natural immunity anytime of the week, day or hour. However I don't discourage vaccination, but I don't put as much stock in it as much as natural means of immunity.

That's what I meant by that.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I'd rather get covid.

Nothing beats natural immunity.

Nothing.
Something, actually:

• The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a report on Oct. 29, 2021, that says getting vaccinated for the coronavirus when you’ve already had COVID-19 significantly enhances your immune protection and further reduces your risk of reinfection.
  • A study published in August 2021 indicates that if you had COVID-19 before and are not vaccinated, your risk of getting re-infected is more than two times higher than for those who got vaccinated after having COVID-19.
  • Another study published on Nov. 5, 2021, by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) looked at adults hospitalized for COVID-like sickness between January and September 2021. This study found that the chances of these adults testing positive for COVID-19 were 5.49 times higher in unvaccinated people who had COVID-19 in the past than they were for those who had been vaccinated for COVID and had not had an infection before.
  • A study from the CDC in September 2021 showed that roughly one-third of those with COVID-19 cases in the study had no apparent natural immunity.
COVID Natural Immunity: What You Need to Know
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If you've had COVID-19 before, does your natural immunity work better than a vaccine?

The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.

• More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
  • Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
  • Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination
The takeaway: Get vaccinated, even if you've had COVID-19. Vaccine immunity is stronger than natural immunity."

COVID-19 natural immunity versus vaccination

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How about looking at the science instead of an editorial? This person's opinion that "natural immunity" is more robust than immunity from vaccination doesn't seem match the available science.
He also seemed to think "we’re done with the surges" back in October 2021, so there's another of his opinions that didn't pan out.

Oh and he also went on to say this, apparently, "When I talked to doctors nationwide, it’s pretty clear that the vaccine-related complications are exceedingly rare and the vaccines we have are safer than any other vaccine we’ve ever had in the past. And I think if you if you’re on the fence about getting vaccinated, you want to do it right now, like today, because we are getting to a point where it’s so contagious, it’s ripping through the population pretty quickly.”

So he also thinks you should get vaccinated.

The rest of the article is peppered with partisan crap.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I wouldn't want any virus lethal or not, with exception to beneficial viruses of course, but if I had a choice of vaccination immunity or natural immunity I'll take natural immunity anytime of the week, day or hour. However I don't discourage vaccination, but I don't put as much stock in it as much as natural means of immunity.

That's what I meant by that.
What you're saying is you'd rather get COVID than get vaccinated.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That’s a very heavily slanted OP Ed piece. Like the wording in it is very clearly political and has a very specific agenda. Do you have perhaps an actual study that you can link to instead?
I won’t pretend to be an expert on this by any means. I freely admit that I’m an idiot.

But I know enough to back away from any pieces that have an obvious political slant to them. Doesn’t matter from which side of the aisle. Left, right, I don’t care. Just the science please

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First....
Makary is a surgeon, not an epidemiologist or immunologist.
In his profile, he lists no such expertise.
Martin Adel Makary, M.D., M.P.H., Professor of Surgery | Johns Hopkins Medicine
Johns Hopkins has one of the best public health grad
schools in the country, so it does have epidemiologists,
& they operate JHU's Covid 19 resource website.
I've not seen Makary present supporting research confirmed
by peers in appropriate fields.

Second....
The Johns Hopkins website doesn't support the views
attributed to Makary. (Was he accurately represented?
The sources claiming this look non-mainstream.)
COVID Natural Immunity: What You Need to Know
Excerpted....
If I have natural immunity do I still need a COVID vaccine?
Yes, the COVID-19 vaccines are recommended, even if you had COVID-19. At present, evidence from Johns Hopkins Medicine and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) supports getting a COVID-19 vaccine as the best protection against getting COVID-19, whether you have already had the virus or not.
:
Johns Hopkins has conducted a large study on natural immunity that shows antibody levels against COVID-19 coronavirus stay higher for a longer time in people who were infected by the virus and then were fully vaccinated with mRNA COVID-19 vaccines compared with those who only got immunized. (The results of the study were published in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association on Nov. 1, 2021.)

Third....
Vaccine immunity differs from natural immunity
The former can enhance the latter.
How Immunity Generated from COVID-19 Vaccines Differs from an Infection
Excerpted....
These findings suggest that natural immunity and vaccine-generated immunity to SARS-CoV-2 will differ in how they recognize new viral variants. What’s more, antibodies acquired with the help of a vaccine may be more likely to target new SARS-CoV-2 variants potently, even when the variants carry new mutations in the RBD.

Finally, regarding conflicting info....
With SARS Cov-2 being a novel virus, expert understanding
of Covid 19 is evolving. You needn't presume that differences
of opinion are due to "lying". In such an informationally dynamic
situation, I approach info with caution....take the safest course.
For example, vaccinations are low risk with great potential
benefit. So even if an unvaccinated person had Covid 19, it
makes sense to get vaccinated because it would be likely to
provide optimum immunity.

HonestJoe

The odds of any of us dying from COVID is relatively low. The fact remains that, even if you've already had COVID and thus have some level of natural immunity, the risk will be further reduced by also getting vaccinated.

It's a moot point though. It isn't a simple binary choice and they're not mutually exclusive. Comparing vaccination alone to natural immunity alone is meaningless and only ever came up as a tool to try to dismiss vaccination (even if that wasn't you direct intent here).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That’s a very heavily slanted OP Ed piece. Like the wording in it is very clearly political and has a very specific agenda. Do you have perhaps an actual study that you can link to instead?
I won’t pretend to be an expert on this by any means. I freely admit that I’m an idiot.

But I know enough to back away from any pieces that have an obvious political slant to them. Doesn’t matter from which side of the aisle. Left, right, I don’t care. Just the science please
I regard the CDC as a political arm way more than it is a medical arm.

All their doctors are mouthpieces and are not allowed to express their own professional opinion or risk getting de credentialed by them.

It's why I look to independent physicians and surgeons to tell the truth without fear of the CDC interfering their credentials.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

All their doctors are mouthpieces and are not allowed to express their own professional opinion or risk getting de credentialed by them.

It's why I look to independent physicians and surgeons to tell the truth without fear of the CDC interfering their credentials.
Physicians & surgeons don't necessarily have any
expertise in the area. More qualified are virologists,
immunologists, & especially epidemiologists.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Alright someone other than the CDC then. If that makes it any better for you

A different country’s medical arm, since other countries have universal healthcare.

And always go for immunologists specifically. You quoted a physician. Not good enough I’m afraid. You can go to a physicist to ask a chemistry question, but it’s always better to go for the chemist in the first place.

So, you have anything from someone with relevant credentials?

Last edited: