• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Watching New Documentary, "American Gods"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's the premise?
The old gods from multiple traditions who live in Americastan are waging war against upstarts.
Shadow Moon, our protagonist, is unknowingly enlisted in the service of Mr Wekdnesday (one
of his many many names), a god of war, in the fight against Mr World, Technical Boy, & others.
It's violent, strange, exotic, creepy, amazing, & entertaining.
There are Vikings, Africans, gods, bunnies, zombies, buffalo, jinn, homos, heteros,
lassies, hammers, checkers, leprechauns, guns, swords, sacrifices, cars, & more!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the premise?
Old gods coming to America on the backs of migrants try to survive in a new world where a shadowy cold war between the old gods and the new is occurring. The new gods, such as technology, media, globalism, have all of the power and none of the experience.
The show (and the Neil Gaiman book it's based off of) is in poetic style, very imagery focused and over the top.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It seems a mix of The X-Files, The 300, Thor, The Twilight Zone, & Deadwood.
The last one is because of Ian McShane's delivery of Deadwood style writing.
American Gods (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb
I'm hooked!

Durn your hide, @Revoltingest. I just got through watching the first episode and now there's another series I've got to keep up with. I'm going to name my first born Shadow Moon...oh....wait...nevermind.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If you Google the name, you can find out everything you want about the series except what station it's on and when. :thumbsup:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I watched the first episode, but I couldn't really get into it. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

suncowiam

The old gods from multiple traditions who live in Americastan are waging war against upstarts.
Shadow Moon, our protagonist, is unknowingly enlisted in the service of Mr Wekdnesday (one
of his many many names), a god of war, in the fight against Mr World, Technical Boy, & others.
It's violent, strange, exotic, creepy, amazing, & entertaining.
There are Vikings, Africans, gods, bunnies, zombies, buffalo, jinn, homos, heteros,
lassies, hammers, checkers, leprechauns, guns, swords, sacrifices, cars, & more!

Interesting. I tend to like the shows you like so I'll give this a try.

Thanks

suncowiam

Old gods coming to America on the backs of migrants try to survive in a new world where a shadowy cold war between the old gods and the new is occurring. The new gods, such as technology, media, globalism, have all of the power and none of the experience.
The show (and the Neil Gaiman book it's based off of) is in poetic style, very imagery focused and over the top.

Nice... I'm gonna give it a try.

Mrpasserby

Do not just Believe 'Become', I am Sufficient.
'Old gods coming to America on the backs of migrants try to survive in a new world where a shadowy cold war between the old gods and the new is occurring. The new gods, such as technology, media, globalism, have all of the power and none of the experience.'

What! is somebody a psychic or something, in the world of spirits that stuff is all supposed to be kept in the shade, and this thread is sayen that it's on TV! :confused:
I have even had spirit side toughs threatening to push my face in if I posted one of my journal writings about a mage who went around collecting spirit side adventures and then whispered them to talented writers during the night while they slept. :eek:
Just letting off steam, I am finally going to get to thread up my journal, and also I'll try to catch that show it sounds like it is right up my...:)

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, just binge watched 8 episodes online.
Protagonist gets entangled in a mercurial, alternate reality superimposed on America, past and present; a bizarre dreamscape of gods and demi-gods. Old gods created by the devotion of ancients fading into a forgotten oblivion as they're supplanted by the persons of America's new gods of technology and globalization.
Things are not as they appear, motives are unclear and the picture of what's going on unfolds only gradually.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Protagonist gets entangled in a mercurial, alternate reality superimposed on America, past and present; a bizarre dreamscape of gods and demi-gods. Old gods created by the devotion of ancients fading into a forgotten oblivion as they're supplanted by the persons of America's new gods of technology and globalization.
Things are not as they appear, motives are unclear and the picture of what's going on unfolds only gradually.
I know.
Ain't it grand!
Ian McShane is da man!
And it's good to see Kristin Chenoweth (Easter) with her bunny minions getting all powerful & malevolent.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I know.
Ain't it grand!
Ian McShane is da man!
And it's good to see Kristin Chenoweth (Easter) with her bunny minions getting all powerful & malevolent.

Please, easy on the spoilers. I've just watched episode one (please don't tell to not read these posts because you know I'm an RF ho).