• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Watch The Billie Eilish Doc?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Billie just moans all the time. Aahh...wooooooo..

I still can't believe she was on the cover of The Rolling Stone.

I'm still in shock and might require extensive therapy as the modern era of talentless crokners* and moaners takes center stage.

*Those are all the autotune people who think they are talented. The only one who could get away with it is Cher because she can actually sing.

PureX

Veteran Member
So basically capitalism corrupts art?
I don’t disagree.
Yes. I just think they just have two fundamentally different agendas, and two fundamentally different conceptions of value. It makes it very difficult for the arts and artists to survive or thrive in a capitalist economic environment.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. I just think they just have two fundamentally different agendas, and two fundamentally different conceptions of value. It makes it very difficult for the arts and artists to survive or thrive in a capitalist economic environment.
Agreed

PureX

Veteran Member
Well can’t you say that about any entertainment medium?
Yes, because entertainment is an "industry" in our culture. Which is why it has become so rare that a real artist manages to survive the greed machine for more than minute. And is why when I see it happen, it warms my heart.

Everyone is complaining that there have been others since the mid 60s to mid 70s. Yes, of course there have been. But they have also been rare. Very rare. And they should also be celebrated for their originality and courage in the face of an "industry" intent on exploiting the crap out of them by any means available.

I'm rooting for Billie's continued survival, but she's so young, and open, and the greed machine is so powerful ...

anna.

but mostly it's the same
For me, it's not about whether I like the music or not. Billie Eilish is not making music for old men like me. What I find interesting is the connection she has to her own generation. To how they are thinking and feeling. And how incredibly good she and her brother are at creating and articulating their songs. On the one hand there is so little to them, and on the other there seems to always be another surprise to find each time I listen.

The 'industry' is full of highly paid professionals that cannot grasp what these two teens (a little older, now) have grasped, innately. Real musicality. Because these kids are artists, not trained pop performers. And they write real song about real things, not wanna-be pop hits. Keep in mind there were no "boy bands" before the Beatles did it. And all of those that followed were mostly derivative hacks intent only on becoming rich and famous by riding a vacuum that the Beatles created and then left behind long ago. And it's the same today with the endless chain of wanna-be 'Modonnas' prancing around in their bras and panties and mimicking sex with near-naked dancers. These are all corporate generated copycats out to cash in on some sick corporate view of 'teen girl fantasies'. To me, they don't count. It's not art, and it's not even creative. it's just a big money machine exploiting whatever gimmick it can for maximum profit.

I watch out for the real thing; that comes along rarely, and creates a whole new 'genre' of it's own. When I was a teenager (late 60s early 70s) there was an explosion of that kind of creativity, and I thought it was the norm. But it wasn't. And by the mid to late 70s music had become a wasteland of derivative wanna-bes looking for the big pay-out. So I'm pleased to spot a spark of the real thing in Billie Eilish and her brother Fineas. And happy to pass it on to anyone that might also be interested in something more than nostalgia and corporate generated schlock.

I first learned of her from her Bond theme song, No Time to Die. Her latest that I've listened to many times over:

I like her a lot. :)

anna.

but mostly it's the same
That isn't something I expected to see gain any traction at all among young people, who's attention span these days have to be measured in milliseconds.

Now you sound like an old curmudgeon. :) Give the kids a little more credit.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, because entertainment is an "industry" in our culture. Which is why it has become so rare that a real artist manages to survive the greed machine for more than minute. And is why when I see it happen, it warms my heart.

Everyone is complaining that there have been others since the mid 60s to mid 70s. Yes, of course there have been. But they have also been rare. Very rare. And they should also be celebrated for their originality and courage in the face of an "industry" intent on exploiting the crap out of them by any means available.

I'm rooting for Billie's continued survival, but she's so young, and open, and the greed machine is so powerful ...
Eh. People have been saying stuff like this for centuries. Literally centuries (I have their writings to prove it lol.)
I’m sure Billie will be fine. She seems to have a brain and a good head on her shoulders.
Besides independent artsy films are gaining traction in the mainstream from what I can tell. Which is interesting and tells me there is still a market for art, for lack of a better word

PureX

Veteran Member
Clever, fresh, fun, and really well produced ... it actually does remind me of those early Beatles pop songs.