• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know a lot about traditional African religions?

sovietchild

I'm assuming African religions have something to do with paganism and statues. This is how most of religions used to be.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You should probably seek some form of qualified accademic in order to obtain such info as worded in the OP.

Still, it is said that some of them are a strong influence in Santeria, Voodoo, Candomblé and Umbanda. The last two are Brazilian creeds and fairly well-known here, so I assume I have a general awareness of their characteristics.

Still, it stands to reason that traditional African religions were probably never very homogeneous. It is a whole continent, after all.

You probably tried these already.

Category:African traditional religions - Wikipedia

Yoruba religion - Wikipedia

Joshuachasseur

I had a question about a specific belief. In a book, dominique zahan said this:

There is a rather widespread concept in Black Africa, according to which human beings, before “coming” into this world, dwell in heaven, where they are white. For, heaven itself is white and all the beings dwelling there are also white. Therefore the whiter a child is at birth, the more splendid it is. In other words, at that particular moment in a person’s life, special importance is attached to the whiteness of his colour, which is endowed with exceptional qualities (Dominique Zahan 1974)

I wanted to know if it was true.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

There is a rather widespread concept in Black Africa, according to which human beings, before “coming” into this world, dwell in heaven, where they are white. For, heaven itself is white and all the beings dwelling there are also white. Therefore the whiter a child is at birth, the more splendid it is. In other words, at that particular moment in a person’s life, special importance is attached to the whiteness of his colour, which is endowed with exceptional qualities (Dominique Zahan 1974)

That sounds like Christian colonization that influence tribal religions to mimic (or die preserving) native to a said country and area.

My friend, who is Philippine, said it was a blessing (can't remember the term) to have whiter skin. She'd put a certain soap to make her skin whiter. I don't know the history of her country specifically; but, I know it is predominately Catholic in the main parts. I don't know about the outskirts. The "white skin" idea she had, now that I think of it, came from when she was raised in Hawaii. I think it was a Hawaiian thing. She said they still have their native practices through dances.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm assuming African religions have something to do with paganism and statues. This is how most of religions used to be.

Actually, Africans aren't Pagan (European). They are pagan, though since some not most since Christianity took over are not Christian, Muslim, or Jew.

Some African Dispora religions do use statues. Fortunately, just because they are pagan (not Christian, Muslim, or Jew) doesn't means they use statues.

There are a lot of stereotypes. I'm going by what I learned from a Lukumi practitioner. Other than that, I have no knowledge that I can confirm.

caesar1009

HI

.I'm an initiate in Orisha..and IFA...I'm not at all an elder..but I'll let you know a few things
.in Lucumi Branch. .the.Egun..ancestors are.depicted as white, while some of the Orisha traditionally in Africa are called white Orisha. .:Obatala(figuratively and Literally ),Oddudua,Orunmila (the latter 2 white more in terms of purity and energy ). Olofin..is also seen as white.This has to do with white . .signifying purity and divinity from.what.ive.read.and.been told...Also albinos are considered sacred and spirituallypowerful. .protected by Obatala.. . I used to have more knowledge of the Yoruba myths answer such..White is general in diaspora and Traditional Africa signifies purity. .and at least in Lucumi. .is often worn during cleaning rituals. ..Afterwards ..etc