• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ANyone drink coffee?

whirlingmerc

I love it but have not had the time or money to buy a coffee maker. Im getting oen thi week with cinnamon coffee and sweetner in it.I am so so so addicted to coke ca cola, its unbelievable. I cant stop it so i'm having to replace it. I'm gonna put ice in it yummy and Im hoping to replace coke with coffee.

I'm not getting decaf either I'm addicted to caffeine and staying that way, I'm hoping it will help get rid of my addiction to coke help me lose weight.

There are allot of health benefits from coffee
You can also put a little grass fed butter in the coffee for 'bullet coffee' which is supposed to help with mental acuity

Riders

My point was related to the effects of caffeine not sugar. More so the OP is switching to other sweet products so that does not mean sugar is actually being cut if she adds it herself

I wont use sugar i use aspertain for coffee. You might wonder why I don't drink diet drinks, I hate diet coke. But I like aspertain in coffee for some reason. so getting rid of the sugar and calories helps!

whirlingmerc

I wont use sugar i use aspertain for coffee. You might wonder why I don't drink diet drinks, I hate diet coke. But I like aspertain in coffee for some reason. so getting rid of the sugar and calories helps!

I can't stand diet coke either
I just put milk in coffee no sugar

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I’ve switch to herbal tea is the evenings. Rooibos red in the evening after dinner and chamomile before bed.

I sleep like a baby.

Afternoon teas with friends are so civilised ;-), usually with black tea, sometimes a green, occasionally a tisane.

In the evening its iced water for me unless we are eating out then for desert i order a cafe gourmand for desert if available.

Green tea reminded me of a little trick i learned from a chinese friend. When dining in a chinese restaurant, rather than ordering whatever alcohol with your meal order a pot of green tea. Its like magic for getting preferential service.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If you have any tendency to high blood pressure, be careful of French press. The process fails to remove some of the oils in the coffee bean that can *significantly* raise blood pressure.

Don't get me wrong. If I didn't have HBP issues, I'd be drinking French press. But it added about 40 points to my systolic pressure.
Good thing I drink french press coffee. Last time I had my BP checked it was 89/58. (I think the BP cuff was malfunctioning, though. The first time she measured it it was like 70/49, and I told her it must be malfunctioning. She switched to a different one and it was 89/58, so I think it's a defective brand. My normal BP is usually 98/64.)

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Good thing I drink french press coffee. Last time I had my BP checked it was 89/58. (I think the BP cuff was malfunctioning, though. The first time she measured it it was like 70/49, and I told her it must be malfunctioning. She switched to a different one and it was 89/58, so I think it's a defective brand. My normal BP is usually 98/64.)

I looked over my history again. The problem was cholesterol and not blood pressure. And it depends on genetics of the individual--how rapidly they metabolize the oils in coffee that increase the cholesterol.

@Subduction Zone, sorry for the misinformation....but still be careful.

How Coffee Raises Cholesterol

"In fact, cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known, said Dr. David Moore, professor of molecular and cellular biology at BCM, and Dr. Marie-Louise Ricketts, a postdoctoral student and first author of the report. Cafetiere, or French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso contain the highest levels of the compound, which is removed by paper filters used in most other brewing processes. Removing caffeine does not remove cafestol, however."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
well...my cholesterol level is very low:)

I mean...maybe it doesn't affect Mediterraneans:p

And, like I said, there is a genetic aspect to this: how readily you metabolize those oils and to what extent they encourage cholesterol to form for you.

I don't know if they've done cross cultural studies of this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I looked over my history again. The problem was cholesterol and not blood pressure. And it depends on genetics of the individual--how rapidly they metabolize the oils in coffee that increase the cholesterol.

@Subduction Zone, sorry for the misinformation....but still be careful.

How Coffee Raises Cholesterol

"In fact, cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known, said Dr. David Moore, professor of molecular and cellular biology at BCM, and Dr. Marie-Louise Ricketts, a postdoctoral student and first author of the report. Cafetiere, or French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso contain the highest levels of the compound, which is removed by paper filters used in most other brewing processes. Removing caffeine does not remove cafestol, however."
No problem, I did find one source that made the same claim that you did, though no points were given. But one has to drink far more coffee than I do.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I got one from amazon for 65 bucks cheap electric one hope it works well.
if it doesn't......

find a container of the amount of coffee you want
fill that container with water and then pour that amount into a stainless steel pan
place on stove top
gently cover that water with coffee grinds
they will float
heat the water to a low boil for a minute or two
let the grinds sink on their own
do not stir

using a tea ball as a strainer
ease the coffee into the cup

most of the grind will stay in the pan
what flows over the edge of the pan will be caught in the strainer

this is about as straight up as it gets
some people call this cowboy coffee