• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone decide not to convert in spite of disconnect with your faith tradition?

Karolina

That's where I am currently. I've been a seeker on and off all my life. I've researched most religions multiple times, and I've always returned to the faith community I was brought up with. Last year, after three years of being very dedicated to making my faith work for me, I just woke up one day and realized that it didn't. That I had been faking it, hoping to make it ("fake it till you make it" was a mantra we used in the military for presenting a good attitude).

Again I've returned to delve deeper into several religions, and again I'm coming up unconvinced. I read somewhere there are three components to one's religions identity: beliefs, practices, and fellowship with others who share these beliefs and practices. Well, I enjoy the practices of my original faith, but I can't reconcile the beliefs. Yet whenever I find a religion whose beliefs jive with me, I can't stay bc their practices don't hold any meaning for me. The dilemma I'm left with is, where then can I get that fellowship that would make me feel like a full fledged member of a religious group?

In the past I've envied insular groups like the Amish or Mormons or Hasidic Jews or Muslims (in the US). But I know that's not where I belong.

For many people I know, they simply disagree privately with the beliefs of their religion and don't think anyone has to know about it, or they're even unapologetically vocal about it. I'd like that to be me. But it irks me that I can't find everything I need in one group, that I have to compromise one way or another. I've actually brought this up with a therapist!

Anyone else settled on staying with an imperfect match after a period of seeking? Any advice for making that work?

sciatica

Notable Member
I came home to Catholicism. It sure isnt perfect but I feel a connect. A connect to my Catholic heritage.. I dont understand all the theology but I trust some very smart people have chosen it too. But in the end its not about intellectualism. Its about living a virtuous life imo and trusting God , the CEO.
I fully understand Jews choosing Judaism and Muslims choosing Islam. Its familiar. Its cultural. Buddhists choosing Buddhism. Its what feels right for you. Listen to your gut.

Iymus

In regards to your title; whether good or bad often

Pro 22:6 KJV Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
-------------------

Living is having the right mindset and having the discipline required to achieve intended goals.

Encouragement and or Incentives; perhaps one of those two or both will help.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That's where I am currently. I've been a seeker on and off all my life. I've researched most religions multiple times, and I've always returned to the faith community I was brought up with. Last year, after three years of being very dedicated to making my faith work for me, I just woke up one day and realized that it didn't. That I had been faking it, hoping to make it ("fake it till you make it" was a mantra we used in the military for presenting a good attitude).

Again I've returned to delve deeper into several religions, and again I'm coming up unconvinced. I read somewhere there are three components to one's religions identity: beliefs, practices, and fellowship with others who share these beliefs and practices. Well, I enjoy the practices of my original faith, but I can't reconcile the beliefs. Yet whenever I find a religion whose beliefs jive with me, I can't stay bc their practices don't hold any meaning for me. The dilemma I'm left with is, where then can I get that fellowship that would make me feel like a full fledged member of a religious group?

In the past I've envied insular groups like the Amish or Mormons or Hasidic Jews or Muslims (in the US). But I know that's not where I belong.

For many people I know, they simply disagree privately with the beliefs of their religion and don't think anyone has to know about it, or they're even unapologetically vocal about it. I'd like that to be me. But it irks me that I can't find everything I need in one group, that I have to compromise one way or another. I've actually brought this up with a therapist!

Anyone else settled on staying with an imperfect match after a period of seeking? Any advice for making that work?

I had over five years searching for truth until I tentatively joined my current faith nearly 30 years ago. During that search I tried three churches, Buddhism, Hinduism, new age, the occult and atheism. If I hadn’t become a Baha’i I probably would have continued with the Baptist Church I had attended for nearly a year knowing I wasn’t completely comfortable and would most likely be on the fringes.

The period of searching was an intensely difficult time in my life and sometimes I despaired that I would find what I was looking for. I was inspired by the words of Jesus, ‘the truth shall set you free’ and ‘seek and you shall find.’ I really did step out in faith believing I would be guided to my spiritual home.

Although I didn’t grow up Catholic, I can identify with most of what you have written. Of course if you were content with the faith you had grown up with you wouldn’t have been searching and that’s an important aspect of your journey. I believe if we cultivate spirituality within ourselves we are more likely to be able to respond appropriately to what our innermost self is saying.

All the best.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Have you prayed for God to show you more about Him?