• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone a fan of The Waltons

Messianic Israelite

I've been a big fan of the Waltons. Seems they aren't many series to watch anymore that show good old fashioned family values and that aren't steeped in immorality. I have all 9 seasons of the Waltons on boxset, and I enjoy watching them as and when I have free time. Are they any other fans of the Waltons and if so what is your favorite episodes? Mine are probably The Literary Man, The Minstrel and The Roots.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Yes, it portrayed wholesome values!
Be happy with that.

(Don't do any research on who played the Grandpa, Will Geer!)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've been a big fan of the Waltons. Seems they aren't many series to watch anymore that show good old fashioned family values and that aren't steeped in immorality. I have all 9 seasons of the Waltons on boxset, and I enjoy watching them as and when I have free time. Are they any other fans of the Waltons and if so what is your favorite episodes? Mine are probably The Literary Man, The Minstrel and The Roots.

John Boy is now playing a FBI agent in "The Americans".
Not a wholesome show.

Goodnight John Boy.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If you like The Waltons try finding Little House on the Prairie and The Andy Griffith Show. Maybe you'd also like Leave It to Beaver, but that one is a slightly different variety. Wonderworks films are generally very 'Clean' as are Masterpiece Theater shows and the 1980s ABC Specials where they'd take a movie and put it on, cut out anything that was too kissy and add in some commercials.

Keep in mind that Leave It to Beaver portrays a bit of a fake way of life. Its that 1950's kind of lifestyle which an entire generation felt to be something put onto them as an ideal which was impossible to maintain. It represents something like the American version of puritanical or Victorian ideals.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the Waltons and the Andy Griffith Show. I like the pace of life they portray. I don’t know how Mayberryites would react to a non-Christian gay citizen, but I’d like to live there.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I grew up watching 7th Heaven, does that count?

Also something I always associated with good old fashioned family values is The Brady Bunch. But as the opening song helpfully points out it’s literally about two divorced (or at least newly single) people mixing their families together and trying to make it work. Surprisingly progressive for a show that is so shmaltzy it could be produced by Disney.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have a little different take on the Waltons. I agree it promoted exemplary values. Only to me, exemplary values mean things like kindness, compassion, empathy, resilience, moral courage, integrity, honesty, and so forth. Things in that vein.

I recalled when it aired that people focused more on its sexual chastity than anything else when speaking of the values they were grateful to it for encouraging. They almost always gave the nod to other positive values, but they saved their focus for chastity, innocence, modesty. Things along those lines.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a little different take on the Waltons. I agree it promoted exemplary values. Only to me, exemplary values mean things like kindness, compassion, empathy, resilience, moral courage, integrity, honesty, and so forth. Things in that vein.

I recalled when it aired that people focused more on its sexual chastity than anything else when speaking of the values they were grateful to it for encouraging. They almost always gave the nod to other positive values, but they saved their focus for chastity, innocence, modesty. Things along those lines.
Ironically, the book it was based on didn't exactly have chastity highly regarded.

Messianic Israelite

If you like The Waltons try finding Little House on the Prairie and The Andy Griffith Show. Maybe you'd also like Leave It to Beaver, but that one is a slightly different variety. Wonderworks films are generally very 'Clean' as are Masterpiece Theater shows and the 1980s ABC Specials where they'd take a movie and put it on, cut out anything that was too kissy and add in some commercials.

Keep in mind that Leave It to Beaver portrays a bit of a fake way of life. Its that 1950's kind of lifestyle which an entire generation felt to be something put onto them as an ideal which was impossible to maintain. It represents something like the American version of puritanical or Victorian ideals.

Good evening. Thanks Brickjectivity. I have been meaning to watch Little House on the Prairie. I'll keep my eye out for it. I may have to get it on dvd. Leave It to Beaver I have never heard of. Sounds interesting, although you mentioned it portrays a bit of a fake way of life. I guess what I like about the Waltons is it seems quite true to how things were in late 30's and 40's.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think shows like the Waltons were extremely well written and wholesome.

Personally the Waltons were ok, I watched some episodes, but I preferred to watch Little House on the Prarie back in the day.

Messianic Israelite

I think shows like the Waltons were extremely well written and wholesome.

Personally the Waltons were ok, I watched some episodes, but I preferred to watch Little House on the Prarie back in the day.

Good evening Twilight Hue. I see. Yes, I have heard good things about Little House on the Prairie. I guess I'm hesitant to start watching a new series and investing myself in new characters and a totally different story. I've very much grown to like all the characters in The Waltons, from the Baldwins, to Ike Godsey, to even the infamous Yancy, haha. Still in all, I will be certain to look in to trying out Little House on the Prairie.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Good evening Twilight Hue. I see. Yes, I have heard good things about Little House on the Prairie. I guess I'm hesitant to start watching a new series and investing myself in new characters and a totally different story. I've very much grown to like all the characters in The Waltons, from the Baldwins, to Ike Godsey, to even the infamous Yancy, haha. Still in all, I will be certain to look in to trying out Little House on the Prairie.
I think most people are familiar with the poetically inclined John Boy Walton. :0]

Sad mainstream shows like that are not made anymore. Its all that shallow and tasteless garbage reality TV now.

I miss standardized television like after school and family hour. Its structured, but it had a wonderful charm. Something I think that will never come back.

Messianic Israelite

I think most people are familiar with the poetically inclined John Boy Walton. :0]

Sad mainstream shows like that are not made anymore. Its all that garbage reality TV now.

Hi Twilight Hue. I agree. I don't have the internet, but I do share a Netflix account with members of my family (I download them when at the library) and it's very difficult to find a series without profanity, or sex, or violence in it. I totally agree, 'garbage reality TV' exactly describes how I feel about shows today.

In terms of John Boy, yes, it's really great to have the main character of a show aspiring to be a writer, writing down his thoughts and sharing them with the audience in a poetic and beautiful way.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Good evening. Thanks Brickjectivity. I have been meaning to watch Little House on the Prairie. I'll keep my eye out for it. I may have to get it on dvd. Leave It to Beaver I have never heard of. Sounds interesting, although you mentioned it portrays a bit of a fake way of life. I guess what I like about the Waltons is it seems quite true to how things were in late 30's and 40's.
In certain parts of the country, yes; however the Waltons are a little less churchy than most. They don't talk about church all the time.