• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody home?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
HopefulNikki said:
Where are all the Deists? If you're around, let me know.

I am not but would like to hear your position as a deist.
Is it in relation to a prior expereince with God or just your own reasoning behind it all?
Do you believe that a supernatural encounter or revelation from God is possible?

robtex

Veteran Member
Nikki, you will find a few of the deists in the UU section of RF or in the taoist section. For the record, and I have been on RF for two years, we don't have many deists on RF.

HopefulNikki

roli said:
Is it in relation to a prior expereince with God or just your own reasoning behind it all?
Do you believe that a supernatural encounter or revelation from God is possible?
Deists typically would say that their belief in a God stems from reason and nature. That is, they see evidence for God all around them in the natural world. Most of them would typically also favor any number of philosophical arguments for the existence of God. I agree with both of these viewpoints in how I come to the conclusion that God exists. In terms of supernatural revelations from God, I don't really think they're necesary to learn things about God. I don't need a book to tell me that God exists. I don't need to view supernatural miracles, when the natural world is so miraculous as it is.

HopefulNikki

robtex said:
Nikki, you will find a few of the deists in the UU section of RF or in the taoist section. For the record, and I have been on RF for two years, we don't have many deists on RF.
Well that stinks:( . The UUs seem nice enough, though;) :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
HopefulNikki said:
Deists typically would say that their belief in a God stems from reason and nature. That is, they see evidence for God all around them in the natural world. Most of them would typically also favor any number of philosophical arguments for the existence of God. I agree with both of these viewpoints in how I come to the conclusion that God exists. In terms of supernatural revelations from God, I don't really think they're necesary to learn things about God. I don't need a book to tell me that God exists. I don't need to view supernatural miracles, when the natural world is so miraculous as it is.

If that is an accurate description of a deist, I guess that makes me one as well.:)

HopefulNikki

michel said:
If that is an accurate description of a deist, I guess that makes me one as well.:)
Maybe, although to be honest I've never heard a Deist called him/herself "a follower of Christ." Deists don't believe in revelation from God like through prophets, holy books, etc. If you want to be sure, you can always go to places like www.deism.com to see if it truly fits your beliefs.

Epsilon

HopefulNikki said:
Maybe, although to be honest I've never heard a Deist called him/herself "a follower of Christ." Deists don't believe in revelation from God like through prophets, holy books, etc. If you want to be sure, you can always go to places like *insert site here because it won't let me even quote one* to see if it truly fits your beliefs.

Yup I was right I am also a Deist. I just had to look at the definition on that site. Took me until now to find a decent definition. In otherwords: Hi! I'm here just joined too...

HopefulNikki

Epsilon said:
Yup I was right I am also a Deist. I just had to look at the definition on that site. Took me until now to find a decent definition. In otherwords: Hi! I'm here just joined too...
Hi!! :D :foryou: I don't know about Ciaran, but I was starting to feel lonely here on RF with no other like-minded people to talk to! Thanks for making yourself known. Deism really needs to have more of a presence here, it's practically non-existant at this point. :help: :)

uumckk16

HopefulNikki said:
Well that stinks:(. The UUs seem nice enough, though:D
Thanks! :D I'm not sure if I would necessarily classify myself as a deist anymore but I do have deistic tendencies. I guess you could say I'm a deist who's open to the idea of God communicating to us (though only internally - not through external means such as miracles).

And I do adore Thomas Paine :bow:

roli said:

I believe in a Cosmocrator{cosmos creative force}/GoDevil as PROBABLY either first cause and/or prime mover behind the Universe/Multiverse; I am deistically based, but am often of a more PanDeistic/PanenDeistic mindset as well. It is impersonal from what I can tell, and perhaps not even aware of us...and IF it is it seemingly probbaly views as nothing more than we as humans may view a single skin cell or a cluster of them in a petri dish, or how we feel towards or see or "know" a sub-atomic particle.

To answer your other questions:

roli said:
Is it in relation to a prior expereince with God or just your own reasoning behind it all??

Reasoning. It just seems likely that there was some sort of intelligent first cause force.

roli said:
Do you believe that a supernatural encounter or revelation from God is possible

Yeah Sure, anything is "possible". The question is whether it is "probable", to which my answer is ,No,probably not.

Allthough I should clarify a bit of a differnence between supernatural encounter and revelation. I do think a supernatural...or rather "extranatural" encounter with occult energies that originate from the first cause cosmocrator is something that can be probably experienced, but a direct revelation from the very personality of said cosmocrator force...not likely.

In Reason:
Irreverand Bill

;)

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Good to see some Deists in here!!! As a Monist I feel your pain in not finding many (or any others) of like beliefs. Be patient, they will come around. It is a good site and people find it eventually.

How did you all come to be Deists?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Hi Comet. I ended up that way using the same tool most of us do, reason. I was raised as a fundamentalist Southern Baptist very fervent in my beliefs.

As I matured during my college years, I began to question as so many do. The first major lynchpin to fall for me was Biblical inerrancy. Once that went, the rest swirled away quickly behind. The more I thought about it, the more I concluded that the beliefs of my youth painted a terrible image of God. There were too many oddities, such as absurdity of thinking an omnipotent being would use second-hand revelation or agents, the absolute evil of eternal Hell, ethical issues around selective intervention, and the list goes on.

However, I couldn't get past the belief that there must be a single first cause, so *poof* I'm a Deist - though I didn't know there was a category for it until some research. It was a process that took years, with lots of pain and guilt, but afterward I have much more inner peace.

It's nice to have a belief system that aligns with reality as I see it, without a capricious and rather human-looking god setting up disastrous consequences for a decision but forcing us to make it on faith alone.

chipg

Hi, I'm glad I found this site, although it's too bad that there is little activity on it. I am Jewish although my specific belief coincides exactly with Deism. I do not believe in any of the "miraculous" fables of the Bible, and I believe that organized religion is an effort to understand God and the afterlife in ways we simply can't know. It is also used as a means of power and control, and what bothers me most of all is that people "of faith" are elevated to such high status as good people, while I, who use the intelligence and reason that God provided for me, draw my own conclusions and am thought less-of because I do not have "faith". Somebody with faith acknolwedges that an event is without any reason, yet believes it anyway. Isn't it an insult to our creator not to use our own minds. I don't need to change religions, because as a Jews I can question all I want (and I believe that most Jews, begin reform, are quietly Deists anyway).

Random

chipg said:
Hi, I'm glad I found this site, although it's too bad that there is little activity on it. I am Jewish although my specific belief coincides exactly with Deism. I do not believe in any of the "miraculous" fables of the Bible, and I believe that organized religion is an effort to understand God and the afterlife in ways we simply can't know. It is also used as a means of power and control, and what bothers me most of all is that people "of faith" are elevated to such high status as good people, while I, who use the intelligence and reason that God provided for me, draw my own conclusions and am thought less-of because I do not have "faith". Somebody with faith acknolwedges that an event is without any reason, yet believes it anyway. Isn't it an insult to our creator not to use our own minds. I don't need to change religions, because as a Jews I can question all I want (and I believe that most Jews, begin reform, are quietly Deists anyway).

Interesting. I take it you mean generic Deism: that God created the Universes and set their laws in motion (life to evolve etc) then abdicated His throne, so to speak, and abandoned Creation having no further interaction with it?

Am I to seriously believe Reform Jews accept this explanation? :areyoucra

Mavrikmind

HopefulNikki said:
If that is fairly accurate then that would describe me as well :p
To furhter explain myself, I don't really need a "supernatural" explanation of God, After being raised in a babtist environment where nothing made alot of sense, I've come to my own conclusions and let my own idea's lead me.
Although I don't discount suprnatural occurances that people might have.

Yes, deism is a belief in a sort of abstract god, not a personal god with human-like emotions (theism). A Diety does not interefere with natural cause and effect.

So, for that reason, it is practical to include deists, pantheists, agnostics and atheists all within the single term Free Thinkers. I like this way of classifying them because the designation includes all those who believe in science and whose beliefs do not interefere with their science.