• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any Thoughts on this?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
God created all there is, of Himself. So nothing existing is without a form of godliness. Everything has authority, and all authorities are always subject to the supreme authority - God.

Levite

Higher and Higher
The verse itself is actually rather difficult to render-- the standard translation is highly questionable, being based on the interpretation of the Septuagint and one of the minor Aramaic targumim, since one of the key words (an apparent verb) in the verse is a hapax legomenon. Nonetheless, the basic idea of the standard translation is probably more or less in the right area.

A better rendering might be something along the lines of "I leap up toward the heavens, and there You are; I stretch myself out in the grave, and You are there also."

The idea here, as the master commentator Ibn Ezra points out, is a poetic dualism, paralleling the far heights of the heavens with the low closeness of the earth, indicating by metonymy that there is no place-- the psalmist wishes us to comprehend-- wherein God is not to be found.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Ahh... I believe pantheism is where the deity actually is everything, panentheism is where the deity resides in everything

[edit] yes it's a little confusing
Pantheism--God is Nature, all that is composes God
Panentheism--Nature is in God, but God is also outside Nature.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I interpret it as a very holistic view of God, which is weird being paired with the concept of Hell as I rarely see Christianity using a holistic idea of God over the divide, all good not evil deity they tend to believe in. This still does not make sense to me though, as it defeats the whole idea of being with or against God.