• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Shin Buddhists here??

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There were a few Pureland temples around my area, but not involved with the school. I see it as accommodating for those who might have some difficulty practicing Buddhism due to attachment like a belief or similar and has a hard time letting go. It's interesting to note the founder was Tendai.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken the OP is asking about Jodo Shinshu, founded by Shinran Shonin, who was indeed initially a member of the Tendai school.

I frequented a Shinshu temple for a length of time back in 2000 or so.

I was particularly impressed by the wisdom in the Shoshinge. The teachings of Amithaba's Primal Vow were certainly inspiring as well, but sometimes I felt the Temple weighted down by a certain... lack of ambition might be a good description.

I was disappointed to see it giving way too much space to a Spiritist lay speaker as well. He co-opted the teachings like they had been found uncared for in some dark alley.

So, in a nutshell, it can be a beautiful practice if you are lucky enough and/or bold enough. But a lot depends on having the good fortune of connecting with sufficiently skilled teachers and practicioners, of which unfortunately there are never quite enough.

DanielR

If I am not mistaken the OP is asking about Jodo Shinshu, founded by Shinran Shonin, who was indeed initially a member of the Tendai school.

I frequented a Shinshu temple for a length of time back in 2000 or so.

I was particularly impressed by the wisdom in the Shoshinge. The teachings of Amithaba's Primal Vow were certainly inspiring as well, but sometimes I felt the Temple weighted down by a certain... lack of ambition might be a good description.

I was disappointed to see it giving way too much space to a Spiritist lay speaker as well. He co-opted the teachings like they had been found uncared for in some dark alley.

So, in a nutshell, it can be a beautiful practice if you are lucky enough and/or bold enough. But a lot depends on having the good fortune of connecting with sufficiently skilled teachers and practicioners, of which unfortunately there are never quite enough.

yes thanks, I was thinking about the Jodo Shinshu :).

I was mainly interested if this school was a legit approach and what members of other school think of Shinjin for example ;)