• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any 'Seveners' or 'Fivers' here?

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Most folk who know the differences between Sunni and Shi'ite know of the majority shi'ite school called the "twelvers" But is anyone In this forum a "sevener" or a "fiver?" Would you be willing to tell us your stories

AbuQuteiba

kiwimac said:
Most folk who know the differences between Sunni and Shi'ite know of the majority shi'ite school called the "twelvers" But is anyone In this forum a "sevener" or a "fiver?" Would you be willing to tell us your stories

I'm not a "sevener" or a "fiver" but i have studied the shi'i sect. and know about it (alhamdulillah).

If you study the shi'i belief system, you'll understand that the shi'a believe in whats called an "imam", which basically means leader. They believe that every time period has an "imam" appointed by God. But of course God cannot appoint one in person, so they say that they have recieved guidelines from God to point him out. The "imams" started with Ali to all of them, and the next five were agreed upon by all, but after the fifth imam died, and they had to choose a sixth, many disagreed with the sixth imam, so they split (at the fifth imam, who was if i remember correctly Zaid, the fivers are also called Zaydiya). The same happened with the seventh imam and they split again (the seventh i believe was Isma'il, so the seveners are also called isma'iliya).