• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any practitioners of Voodoo/Vodun or Hoodoo?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Does RF have any Voodoo/Vodun or Hoodoo practitioners? Yes I know they're different things, but I assume they won't gain much traffic so I'm combining them into one thread for convenience. Their practices are so diluted by the media that it's hard to find valid sources today.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You might want to move this to the indig sub-dir or the pagan because where it is a lot of people can't help you including me. :) DIRs basically are "faith only" and the top level DIRs are more syncretic. A lot of people are using those methods outside of the faiths which they are related to.

lovesong

Premium Member
You might want to move this to the indig sub-dir or the pagan because where it is a lot of people can't help you including me. :) DIRs basically are "faith only" and the top level DIRs are more syncretic. A lot of people are using those methods outside of the faiths which they are related to.
Anyone can post in the DIR respectfully if they have knowledge about it. :D

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Does RF have any Voodoo/Vodun or Hoodoo practitioners? Yes I know they're different things, but I assume they won't gain much traffic so I'm combining them into one thread for convenience. Their practices are so diluted by the media that it's hard to find valid sources today.

Anyone can post in the DIR respectfully if they have knowledge about it. :D

Nope, technically this is faith only. It has nothing to do with methods. :) I am posting here with the mercy of the mods, and the fact that I merely trying to assist a new person on the rules. :)

If your post is about methods then take it to the pagan or magic dir. If it's about spirituality or religion here or the pagan as a lot of people are doing retcon stuff along those lines. Anyway, just trying to help. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My great grandfather practices Hoodoo (which I don't think its called that. My aunt calls it Wiki-Wiki -not to be confused with Wiki-). I found out recently he is from Louisiana and some of the things he did. Their are two types of Vodun: Haitian and New Orleans (as so I learned). Haitian is the one from Africa. Hoodoo is mixed with Catholicism and is in the south eastern states of the US.

My family practices it I just found out but the little bit I know are basic things that pagans do in their rituals. All African faiths that I'm aware of are private and community oriented.

Here is some info:

Santeria Church: Differences between voodoo, hoodoo, and santeria

and this is good:

Conjure Library

Excerpt:

The Holy Bible is a must have if you are going to work Conjure or Hoodoo as some folks call it. As much as some folks on-line hate the idea most conjure workers are Christians and they are not on-line. You want find them advertising their wares on the streets or any where else it is mostly word of mouth. The bible is full of Conjure work. I wrote the first book ever written that I know of that gives folks works the can do working with their Bible "Working with the Bible". Although it is not the only one out now, but the fact still remains mine was the first. Just in the last few years have folks stated talking about working with something other than the Psalm.​

Create a thread in indigenous traditions. I'm probably one of the only few "allowed" to post here. However, not many know much and what I'm learning from family is, well, held within the family.

lovesong

Premium Member
My great grandfather practices Hoodoo (which I don't think its called that. My aunt calls it Wiki-Wiki -not to be confused with Wiki-). I found out recently he is from Louisiana and some of the things he did. Their are two types of Vodun: Haitian and New Orleans (as so I learned). Haitian is the one from Africa. Hoodoo is mixed with Catholicism and is in the south eastern states of the US.

My family practices it I just found out but the little bit I know are basic things that pagans do in their rituals. All African faiths that I'm aware of are private and community oriented.

Here is some info:

Santeria Church: Differences between voodoo, hoodoo, and santeria

and this is good.

Conjure Library

Create a thread in indigenous traditions. I'm probably one of the only few "allowed" to post here. However, not many know much and what I'm learning from family is, well, held within the family.
Is there anything you can tell me about the correspondences used in their practice? For example, what certain fetishes do, what various objects/plants represent?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is there anything you can tell me about the correspondences used in their practice? For example, what certain fetishes do, what various objects/plants represent?

I cant speak intelligently of Haitian Vodun. Those two sites seem the closest I can find; but, the religion is not public.

Since its mixed with Christianity, we do (or least my grandmother did and my mother relayed) is simple things like the use of salt, holistic means of healing (which I'm still learning), and things like that. Colors mimic those of Catholicism. White for purity. Read (as so told) for protection. Purple for purity in Santeria.

I don't know if Hoodoo uses animal sacrifices. My living family are protestant Christian down south, so any mention of that is taboo and they keep it hushed up from us Northerners. I assume most African traditions and religions have animal sacrifice. You could find raw meat like chicken or beef and use the blood as a means of washing yourself clean spiritually. If you post this on the Pagan boards and learn about what Blots are, that can get you a jump start on practices similar to what you are looking for. Again, though, its not public; so, I'm just going by what I learned and know.

I hate saying all, but Id say most traditions are community oriented. Santeria, for example, you cannot just practice it alone. You have to get a reading, start with your ancestors, find a godparent, probably get another reading (not sure), go into initiation which is a full ceremonial process and I looked up the prices.. it can be over 200 dollars.

I mention Santeria (Cuban/African) because its (Lukumi) an African tradition and I wouldn't be surprised if the morals are similar in regards to initiation.

With Vodun, learn about the Christian faith especially Catholicism. They use a lot of Christian prayers during their rituals etc. Like some things I do for my ancestors, I try to use Christian prayers (though I'm not Christian) since my recently deceased are Christian and I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Learn about the different saints. A lot of Vodun spirits were mixed with the role of the Saints. Learn the history.

Specific practices are not public. Its a good topic for the Pagan or comparative religion forums even. You get more idea of what they practice.

Also, the practices aren't isolated. A lot of them overlap with other religious practices. Explore some more.