• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any non Catholics pray the Rosary?

Do any non Catholic Christians here pray the rosary or just use rosary beads for general prayers? If so, why? And if you're not using them to pray to Mary, as is done in the rosary, then how are you using them? Just curious because I just bought some rose scented rosary beads the other day and I want to use them, to pray to Jesus or God only, if that is possible.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's prayer "through Mary" as the prayer asks Mary to "...pray for us...". Catholics believe that the living can pray for those whom had died and ask them to help, thus "...the communion of saints...".

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Do any non Catholic Christians here pray the rosary or just use rosary beads for general prayers? If so, why? And if you're not using them to pray to Mary, as is done in the rosary, then how are you using them? Just curious because I just bought some rose scented rosary beads the other day and I want to use them, to pray to Jesus or God only, if that is possible.
You can say the Jesus Prayer on any of the beads that you would normally assign a Hail Mary to. The Jesus Prayer is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner." This is a very famous Orthodox/Eastern Catholic prayer, and it has been used for centuries. Or you can pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You can say the Jesus Prayer on any of the beads that you would normally assign a Hail Mary to.
Yep, and it also is often used like a "mantra", namely saying the Rosary while meditating on some other aspect of faith at the same time.

The unfortunate thing is all too many Christian denominations, including the Protestant church that I grew up in, got away from the use of meditation on things spiritual that relate to Christian teachings. John the Baptist, Jesus, the prophets, etc. used meditation as we read in the scriptures.