• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any NewAgers in the house?

Renji

Hey guys!:) As you all might probably know, I'm a Catholic Christian, though most sects don't really recognize it as Christian :D, anyway, I'm not planning to convert to anything just yet, but I think I'm kinda interested with this New Age Movement? Are there any members here who are New Agers and tell me what it is? Didn't post it on the DIR because I think I'm kind of exploring/seeking here other than just asking... Thanks guys.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, because Neopaganism often gets conflated with the New Age movement, I made it a point to know a few things about it. There is a fair amount of cross-pollination between New Agers and Neopagans, and I myself have attended a few workshops and gatherings that were sponsored by New Age groups. Those experiences reinforced for me that Neopaganism and the New Age movement are distinctly different, in spite of sharing some common practices. *laughs*

The primary thrust of New Agers is to advance or evolve spiritual consciousness and usher the world into a new era of enlightenment (aka, the "new age"). There's a pervasive optimistic tone to it; lots of sparkles and rainbows. That appeals to a lot of people, as does the fact that it looks forward to the better horizon for inspiration. I usually see New Age beliefs and practices being overlaid onto the person's pre-existing religious background (typically Christian). So you will see quite a bit of things related to Christianity within the New Age movement like working with your holy guardian angel and such to promote spiritual advancement.

There are some not so good things I've noticed about the movement. There is a strong aversion to anything that smells "dark," or taboo, so forget LHP New Agers; it's a contradiction in terms. I've also run into many nut-jobs in the New Age movement. All of that I can respect or forgive as a difference of perspectives. The anti-science attitude present in the New Age movement is considerably more difficult for me to give a free pass.

All that aside, if you like mystical woo-woo, you'll find it in New Age. If you like Eastern woo-woo, you'll find that too. If you like paranormal woo-woo, you'll find that. You'll even find some Neopagan tree-hugger woo-woo mixed in. It's kind of a smorgasbord.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think Quintessence summed it up nicely. Pretty eclectic. Traditional Hindus like me certainly separate ourselves from it, although it might grab certain things from our faith, so some of what you encounter may have eastern overtones. Quintessence's comments about Christianity being a strong influence albeit not ordinary Christianity, seems spot on.

Aum_425

Disciple
As far as I can tell it is an unbounded movement that is guided mainly by a mix of Eastern thoughts and philosophies. It's nothing new to me, but it is nice to see Vedic and Buddhist thoughts being represented and discussed in the West. If I had not found my Guru it may have been a great outlet for me to grow, alas, I did find Her!

Overall it seems to be motivated by good intentions :)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hey guys!:) As you all might probably know, I'm a Catholic Christian, though most sects don't really recognize it as Christian :D, anyway, I'm not planning to convert to anything just yet, but I think I'm kinda interested with this New Age Movement? Are there any members here who are New Agers and tell me what it is? Didn't post it on the DIR because I think I'm kind of exploring/seeking here other than just asking... Thanks guys.
I was raised in a Catholic New Age environment, actually.

-My father was a Roman Catholic.
-My mother was and is a New Age believer.

I went to church and received the sacraments, but my primary belief system was that of my mother's New Age beliefs, and I had kind of the awkward cognitive dissonance of trying to interpret Catholic theology in a way that matched what I really believed. I broke away from the church and researched New Age greatly, but then went onto a more agnostic, skeptical, non-theist worldview.

'New Age' is an incredibly broad umbrella of beliefs with a few fairly common (but not necessarily universal) themes. New Age and tangential worldviews are my original worldview, and therefore the one I'm most familiar with and the one in which I tend to use as a yardstick in which I examine other spiritual worldviews or belief systems (other than the standard 'show me the evidence' empiricist approach).

If you have any questions, I can try to answer them from the worldview I was raised in, which will not necessarily be the answer that other self-described New Agers would answer (much like how a Catholic and a Baptist might give different answers on Christian theology, but probably even more different). I can also reference different viewpoints if asked- my mother's beliefs were more of the all-in "contact angels for healing sessions" and "law of attraction" New Age variety, while mine was more of an abstract, syncretic, panentheistic, view that focused on forging an internally consistent metaphysical framework that did not conflict with science, or was willing to yield and adapt if it did (which eventually resulted in me dropping the entirety of it for lack of evidence).

I wrote a post once where I summarized the New Age beliefs I used to have as a kid and teen:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3145800-post43.html

Renji

I was raised in a Catholic New Age environment, actually.

-My father was a Roman Catholic.
-My mother was and is a New Age believer.

I went to church and received the sacraments, but my primary belief system was that of my mother's New Age beliefs, and I had kind of the awkward cognitive dissonance of trying to interpret Catholic theology in a way that matched what I really believed. I broke away from the church and researched New Age greatly, but then went onto a more agnostic, skeptical, non-theist worldview.

'New Age' is an incredibly broad umbrella of beliefs with a few fairly common (but not necessarily universal) themes. New Age and tangential worldviews are my original worldview, and therefore the one I'm most familiar with and the one in which I tend to use as a yardstick in which I examine other spiritual worldviews or belief systems (other than the standard 'show me the evidence' empiricist approach).

If you have any questions, I can try to answer them from the worldview I was raised in, which will not necessarily be the answer that other self-described New Agers would answer (much like how a Catholic and a Baptist might give different answers on Christian theology, but probably even more different). I can also reference different viewpoints if asked- my mother's beliefs were more of the all-in "contact angels for healing sessions" and "law of attraction" New Age variety, while mine was more of an abstract, syncretic, panentheistic, view that focused on forging an internally consistent metaphysical framework that did not conflict with science, or was willing to yield and adapt if it did (which eventually resulted in me dropping the entirety of it for lack of evidence).

I wrote a post once where I summarized the New Age beliefs I used to have as a kid and teen:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3145800-post43.html

Cool. A'right, I'm actually interested about that stuff in which a person connects with his guardian angel or an archangel stuff, I mean how/what method do they use for that? And since you kinda know about the Catholic faith, having a Catholic on your parents, how different would that be in praying to once angel?

And yeah, I was also able to watch a video about a newager talking about these 'nature people' (you know, those elves, dwarfs and the like). They say that these nature spirits can be incarnated into humans, same time humans can be reincarnated to these nature spirits.. How does that cycle of reincarnation happen? Thanks, I'm really curious..

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Cool. A'right, I'm actually interested about that stuff in which a person connects with his guardian angel or an archangel stuff, I mean how/what method do they use for that? And since you kinda know about the Catholic faith, having a Catholic on your parents, how different would that be in praying to once angel?
Well this is going to end up being a long post. Sorry for that.

To answer this first part, depending on what variety of belief a person has in the New Age umbrella, these beings could be considered guardian angels, spirit guides, higher selves, or other things. The word 'angel' tends to be used in New Age varieties that have ties with Christianity (Unity Church, for example), whereas varieties that have less to do with Christianity seem more likely to use the phrase 'spirit guide' or 'higher self' (which are not quite identical concepts, but called upon for essentially identical reasons).

This is where it's useful to mention some of the roots for where the umbrella of New Age beliefs comes from.

As a first root, there is Shamanism and Spiritualism. Shamanism is basically the world's oldest known form of spiritual practice, dating back to paleolithic periods. In Shamanism, a tribal shaman is thought to have the ability to contact spirits and/or ancestors, as well as do things like spiritual healing. Spiritualism is the more modern practice (from the 1800s and 1900s in Europe, and continuing today in New Age varieties) where mediums contact spirits or deceased people.

As a second root, there are philosophies like Idealism and Transcendentalism, which are related. These roots require a lot of explanation (hence all these links), but the short idea is that consciousness is the ground of all being, and your consciousness shapes your perception of the world rather than the other way around. This Idealist/Transcendental root builds some of the metaphysical architecture that is rather common in various New Age varieties.

A third root consists of Dharmic religious concepts (specifically the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita in particular, which were influential on American Transcendentalism and contribute ideas of reincarnation/rebirth as well as certain forms of panentheism into the mix of New Age beliefs).

A fourth root consists of Abrahamic religious concepts, particularly Christianity. A lot of Americans and Europeans have Christian influence in their culture, so some of these beliefs are strongly tied into Christianity as part of syncretism or to make them more comfortable or to use as examples. Jesus, for example, is often put forth as an individual that mastered timeless metaphysical techniques like the law of attraction or a mastery of transcendentalism/idealism, rather than being a uniquely divine individual. The main contribution of Abrahamic religious concepts to New Age beliefs are symbolic- examples of Jesus and concepts like angels are a distinctly Abrahamic contribution.

Other roots often try to draw from science, other religions, technology, UFOs, various cultural practices, etc. Different subsets of 'New Age' beliefs, which may or may not identify as such, will generally focus more heavily on certain roots than others.

After all of that, a short answer to your guardian angel question in some New Age beliefs is essentially that you can contact a being for help simply by asking for it, much like any prayer. They're always there, according to the belief. Various groups of New Agers may have specific methods or rituals to do so, and if you have interest in that area you can seek out specific information on search engines, but essentially, a common idea is that you have all the power anyway. Much like how praying to gods, angels, or saints in other religions won't generally lead to a literal 'answer' but rather it's expected that the being is helping or sending 'signs', the response you'll get from a New Age perspective from one of these beings is the same. Signs, help, etc.

Other methods are things like:

-Seeking out mediums. Some of them claim to be able to contact the dead. The basic idea here is that you and they have the same power, but they're gifted at it. Like a pro athlete compared to you at a sport; you can both do it, but they're more practiced and talented at it. Some claim to be able to contact spirit guides, angels, higher selves, etc. The general situation here is that a person pays them money because this is what they do for a living, and the person uses their talents to contact a spirit directly and then offer guidance to you based on what the spirit guide says. Some people find this helpful, but from an an analytical view, especially with money involved, this would trigger a lot of empiricism/skepticism. The roots go all the way back to Shamanism.

-Use church programs or courses. My mother does this. Compared to the mediums, this option is generally free or less expensive, but also less direct and more group oriented. Some people belong to spiritual groups like churches that are essentially New Age, or New Thought, or other varieties, and they teach people how to do certain things like create miracles or contact spirit guides. My mother does group phone calls where they learn about contacting angels, and also takes classes on learning law of attraction techniques.

-Using the law of attraction. The idea here is that, as a part of the Divine, all of the power that you believe you're getting from external sources is essentially coming from yourself. You tap into your higher self to actualize your desired outcomes, with the principle example being someone like Jesus who was thought to heal on the spot due to his power. Since it's a syncretic set of religious beliefs, examples like the Buddha or Hindu gurus or other examples are often given. In other words, rather than asking for a certain outcome, you'd assert to yourself and the universe that a certain outcome is going to happen (or similarly, you thank the universe for already delivering it to you), because the idea is that you create what you think. The idea here is that whether you know it or not, you're always creating your own reality. The ideal situation is to raise your consciousness, realize that you're creating your own reality, and then take conscious control of it rather than allow to to act subconsciously or to come from your higher self without your direct awareness. This comes strongly from the aforementioned Idealist/Transcendental roots, and is an area of focus on the New Thought subset of beliefs.

There are some similarities and differences between a Catholic angel or saint, and a New Age angel, spirit guide, or higher self.

-As a similarity, these beings from both religions are called on to help. In Catholicism they can be understood as external beings that can help you. In New Age, they can be loosely understood as external beings, but really they're just part of a panentheistic framework where all is one.

-As a difference, Christianity generally frowns upon the idea of divination in general. Catholicism generally doesn't provide a framework to literally contact an angel and get an answer, but it's thought that prayer to angels and saints can help. In New Age, with mediums or other methods, it's thought that in some cases, these spiritual guides or angels can give literal answers.

-As another difference, in New Age beliefs, there is often a belief in panentheism or monism; the belief that all is one. Rather than calling on a truly separate being (like how in Catholicism there is a separate transcendent god, and then separate souls, which are not called "one"), you're calling on an aspect of yourself, which at your level for practical purposes, is viewed as another being. In panentheism, there really is only one being here, at the highest level of understanding.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And yeah, I was also able to watch a video about a newager talking about these 'nature people' (you know, those elves, dwarfs and the like). They say that these nature spirits can be incarnated into humans, same time humans can be reincarnated to these nature spirits.. How does that cycle of reincarnation happen? Thanks, I'm really curious..
You didn't indicate specifically whether you read that link I put into my first post in this thread where I described my beliefs. In that post, I tried to describe concisely what the architectural framework of my belief system was. So the point is, if you read it then that's cool, and if you haven't read it then I'd suggest doing so because most of what I answer here is just a more detailed description of that overall framework.

In my earlier New Age belief system, which is panentheistic, there is only one being here: God. God shattered herself into an infinite number of seemingly separate souls (us) while also retaining an infinite whole ('God') in order to experience everything worth experiencing.

With that view, animals, humans, natural spirits, angels, spirit guides, beings from other planets, and any conscious being in the infinite multiverse, is a manifestation of God. There's nothing permanently and fundamentally different between you and a nature spirit; it's just God temporarily manifesting as different characters in order to experience different things. All of life is a great play, and god is all of the characters.

When you die, there are different New Age beliefs on exactly what happens. They may be understood to contradict, or they may be understood as different levels of understanding of what occurs.

Generally, it's thought that at death, you encounter spiritual beings in the spiritual world, and often experience a life review. This is where various levels of understanding come into play. Keeping in mind the idea of the panentheistic framework that only god exists and you are it, you can do whatever you want at any time, if you're fully consciously aware of that fact. You and/or your higher self and God as a whole can allow you to experience whatever it is that would be good for you to experience next, whether it's another human lifetime, some other sort of life, or a supernatural sort of life.

There are various nuances of beliefs here. For example:

-Some beliefs assume that at death, the person quickly expands to their more conscious higher self, and that therefore they'll have a conscious way of choosing their next experience.

-Some beliefs assume that at death, the person is still essentially at the level of consciousness that they're at now, and so what happens to them will depend on their level of consciousness and what would be good for them, as directed by their higher self, and/or God, (it's all one) etc. This could include a period of healing followed by a reincarnated state, possibly as another human or possibly a some other being.

Something worth mentioning here is that religions often offer various paths for different people. For example, in what westerners often call 'Hinduism', there are Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, and Jnana yoga (the paths of devotion, action, and knowledge, respectively) among others. The idea is that they all lead to Moksha, but different individuals will respond best to different approaches. There are more emotional people, more analytical people, and more philosophical people.

In New Age, this often occurs as well, and is part of why this post was so long. One can contact spirits and ancestors and things of that nature. One can focus on the law of attraction. One can focus on just 'being' and 'experiencing'. One can seek to understand the panentheistic nature of the universe, and derive all other aspects from it, and control it. So questions like "what happens at death" or "how does reincarnation work" or "who are spirit guides" generally depends on the level of understanding of the individual, rather than being thought of as contradicting concepts. A useful illusion is that spiritual guides, human souls, and god, are separate beings, but at the highest level of a panentheistic framework after passing through the illusions, all is one, and that answers everything.

So for example, my mother always tended to focus on spiritual healing, contacting angels, etc. In contrast, my primary focus as a kid and young teenager was to understand the highest concepts of the metaphysical framework and learn how to apply the idea of panentheism in practice in order to have conscious control over my experience.

Hopefully that answers some of the questions. I can try to answer any further questions or responses to these posts. As a disclaimer, this is my view of the viewpoint of New Age beliefs I was raised in and then studied. It is an attempt to be an objective description of the metaphysical concepts I was raised with, am familiar with, and/or know about. It does not necessarily represent my current individual view of what is true and I purposely avoided injecting my opinions into these posts whenever possible (as readers of many of my other posts on this forum would gather). The goal was to provide a detached description of the New Age metaphysical beliefs that I know about.

Last edited: