• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any ideas on why some people lend so much meaning to the Theory of Evolution?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Big mistake, fat people are easier to shoot.

Bawwwwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwwwwww.

When I was a cop I never objected at all to an over weight partner.
I could out run him and he'd be beaten by the savages.:D

I had a fat partner once that ran away and left me being shot at.:mad:
I'd have shot HIM but he was too far away.

jeager106

Premium Member
"Stepwise formation of the bacterial flagellar system."

Wasn't that an episode from Star Wars the Phantom Menace????:shrug::shrug:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
And the article was speculative, IMO.
"There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. ."

rusra02

Premium Member
"There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. ."
The whole ToE is how biochemical systems did occur or even might have occurred. I think clearly Behe was not speaking of unproven hypotheses in his quote regarding the lack of real evidence for evolution.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The whole ToE is how biochemical systems did occur or even might have occurred. I think clearly Behe was not speaking of unproven hypotheses in his quote regarding the lack of real evidence for evolution.
We're not speaking of "unproven" hypotheses now either.

Nice attempt to wiggle out of the quote though. We're talking about the evolution of biochemical systems.

Behe's criteria has obviously been met. Now we can wait for him to back up his "irreducible complexity" assertions with some real evidence.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That does not really make sense, you know?

GoodbyeDave

It's worth remembering that the idea of evolution predates Charles Darwin and, to some extent, biology. The idea of biological evolution was first suggested by Erasmus Darwin, grandfather of Charles, in 1794. It was probably a reflection of the metaphysical concept of progress which was born in the 18th century and dominated the 19th. For the 19th century, everything evolved: society, language, science, the natural world. It just so happened that biology was the one area where the theory actually worked, although many philosophically-naive intellectuals cherish the concept to this day.

It's also misleading to think that evolution has been opposed by "priests/ministers/imams". In both Christianity and Islam, Creationism is confined to fundamentalists and the uneducated (not exclusive categories, or course!)

jeager106

Premium Member
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. We insist on leading miserable lives despite wonderful potential.

Yes. I get that.^^^^
One wonders?
Is making war something innate in mankind?
Having served 22.5 years as a police officer I still can't fully explain the
misbehavior of many.
All homicides I investigated were completely senseless.
Often I can't get the images out of my tortured mind.
How 'bout the rather heavy set retired school teacher who was stabbed over and
over, and over, with a pocket knife with a 2" long blade and raped while still
struggling to breath?
Some might wonder why police officers often commit suicide or drink heavily?
The best estimate of suicide in the law enforcement profession is 18.1 per 100,000. This figure is 52% greater than that of the general population.

The prevalence of alcoholism among law enforcement personnel is more than double that of the general population.

I no longer drink nor am I suicidal. :>)

I love waking up in the morning.
Why?
Because I wake up. :>)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The "theory" of evolution makes more sense to me than "special creation".

Both require a leap of faith.
Isn't what one believes a matter of faith in absence of scientific evidence?

I have faith that the Cleveland Browns will win a Super Bowl.

Now THAT is a prime example of faith!:confused:
It seems that you don't quite understand what a "scientific theory" is, as opposed to a "hypothesis" or "theory" outside of the scientific method.

scientific theory (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/scientific-theory)
noun
1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experimentation or observation:
the scientific theory of evolution.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Logically, there is little sense in proselitizers of theism bothering to attempt to "refute" evolution. It is about as reasonable as discussing "belief" in sexual reproduction, thermodynamics, the water cycle, electromagnetism or gravity. Yet the mistake just won't die.

I assume this is because evolution makes a creator redundant, and creation myths irrelevant.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The ToE is simply that, unproven theory.
It isn't just a "theory", it is a "scientific theory". One that has been repeatedly confirmed thousands of times through observation and predictions.

scientific theory (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/scientific-theory)
noun
1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experimentation or observation:
the scientific theory of evolution.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I assume this is because evolution makes a creator redundant, and creation myths irrelevant.
I don't think it necessarily makes a creator redundant. Some creator could have come up with evolution and put it into motion.

I agree that it makes creation myths irrelevant though.