• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any ideas on why some people lend so much meaning to the Theory of Evolution?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Any ideas on why, or better yet, on how to put the matter to rest so that more relevant subjects may be discussed?

A large part of the why question is rooted in your own observations, most notably one that isn't quite right:

In reality, Evolution is simply a biological mechanism, ...

Evolution is not simply a biological mechanism. Humans are creatures of myth and story; we see greater meaning in things. While it's true that the science of evolution simply is what it is, the meaningfulness humans derive from it can hardly be simplified to a "biological mechanism." Biological evolution teaches particular lessons about the nature of humanity and its relationship with the rest of the biosphere, if not the cosmos. Those are really, big, meaty questions that are among the essentials that religions of the world address. The mythos that comes out of biological evolution conflicts with the mythos of prevailing stories of Western culture. It directly threatens the meaningful stories people tell themselves about humans being a special apex with dominion over the earth. So does ecology, honestly, and I wager the anti-evolutionists don't throw the same fuss about ecology only because they are so ignorant about it that they don't know it poses the same threats to their worldview.

There is no putting the matter to rest, that I can see. Not unless you kill the stories, and I do not see that happening. Humans are always telling stories and myth-making, seeing meaningfulness and life lessons in things. There will always be competing stories, and people who think their story is better than someone else's story. There will be people who want to ruin someone else's story. Maybe the best way to put the matter "to rest" is to listen to each other's stories and celebrate them all - value the diversity and embrace pluralism?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
OK give me a few to find some good ones.

Would they all be from such reputable websites? Here are some other headlines from one of your links:

"Underground bases and cloning centers"
"Hitler escaped to Argentina and died old"
"Phillip K Dick claimed that time stopped in 50 AD and didn't progress since then"
"NASA's 1986 Challenger team is still alive - they haven't even bothered hiding"

I'm sorry my man, but no one is going to take an article refuting evolution seriously when it comes from a source that also claims Crista McAuliffe is walking around in plain sight and Hitler died doing the tango in Argentina.

Hey! I watch Ancient Aliens on T-V so it MUST be true.:D

jeager106

Premium Member
Humans are the only creatures that can solve complex problems.
When was the last time you saw an elephant doing algebra?
Or built a house, or...........................................

Please. No trained chimps.
Everyone KNOWS they are smarter than we are.
Chimps train us to feed and care for them.
Same with a house cat.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Many intelligent people, including biologists and other scientists, strongly disagree with you that there is " little sense...bothering to "refute evolution." Professor Michael Behe, for example, wrote regarding evolution; "Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” “There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. . . . The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.” I believe evolution supporters have tried mightily to quell any dissent from their theory, and have failed. In fact, it seems the voices of dissent grow louder.
Behe is just flat out wrong.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/17/7116.full
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/9/2069.full
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/3/171.full

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Humans are the only creatures that can solve complex problems.
When was the last time you saw an elephant doing algebra?
Or built a house, or...........................................

Please. No trained chimps.
Everyone KNOWS they are smarter than we are.
Chimps train us to feed and care for them.
Same with a house cat.
Sure, abstract thought hasn't been well demonstrated in other animals. It was an important part of our competitive advantage in natural selection.

That is no more remarkable than, say, the existence of so few acquatic mammals, though. Ecological niches are varied and adaptations to same are just as varied.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Notice that Behe spoke of "assertions", which are different from real evidence.
There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. . . . The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.

He's wrong.

I just posted three random journal papers. There are plenty more. Many of which were provided to him at the Kittzmiller v. Dover trial. You and Behe should take a look around some time.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Any ideas on why some people lend so much meaning to the Theory of Evolution?

I think in the mid to late 1800's it became the flashpoint in general thinking contrasting God-based creationism and nature based evolution {that in simple thinking implied no God). The simplistic thinking was God/Genesis/Bible/Creationism versus Atheism/Science. And the evolutionary debate has carried on from that contrast and IMO still gets undue attention.

jeager106

Premium Member
Sure, abstract thought hasn't been well demonstrated in other animals. It was an important part of our competitive advantage in natural selection.

That is no more remarkable than, say, the existence of so few acquatic mammals, though. Ecological niches are varied and adaptations to same are just as varied.

Dolphins are smart but can't build houses.
Something to do with no having hands or some such.
I've never seen a dolphin holding a gun either.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????????
That ain't so bad is it?:D
Chimps, however, have been filmed murdering other chimps. Baboons are notorious for killing
other species including people.
Then baboons usually eat them.
I have no idea if there is a point to any of that.:eek:

jeager106

Premium Member
There was a fat kid in my high school math class, does that count? :eek:

A bit off topic but I recall when taking my physical for the draft back when being drafted
meant a one way ticket to the big green, man eating, machine.
The fat, pasty white, kid claimed he had a heart problem thus was not eligible
for military service of any kind.
The military docs put him in a room on a cot and hours later checked his heart
and pronounced him 1-A and he did get drafted, sent to "Nam" to never
be heard from again.
Still M.I.A.
My b.i.l. refused to even go for his physical. The gov't somehow missed that felony
and he never was bothered.
I passed 1-A and waited to get drafted. I'm still waiting.
Go figure?

rusra02

Premium Member
There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. . . . The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.

He's wrong.

I just posted three random journal papers. There are plenty more. Many of which were provided to him at the Kittzmiller v. Dover trial. You and Behe should take a look around some time.
All three of which contain unproven theories, not real evidence.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
All three of which contain unproven theories, not real evidence.
No, they contain exactly what Behe is looking for in the quote you provided. Look them over. There are many, many more that both you and Behe could find, if you'd bothered to look.

Behe is wrong. Pretending he is right isn't helpful to anyone, especially yourself.

rusra02

Premium Member
No, they contain exactly what Behe is looking for in the quote you provided. Look them over. There are many, many more that both you and Behe could find, if you'd bothered to look.

Behe is wrong. Pretending he is right isn't helpful to anyone, especially yourself.
I did look them over. I am fairly confident Behe has also. Speculation, not evidence.

Demonslayer

A bit off topic but I recall when taking my physical for the draft back when being drafted
meant a one way ticket to the big green, man eating, machine.
The fat, pasty white, kid claimed he had a heart problem thus was not eligible
for military service of any kind.
The military docs put him in a room on a cot and hours later checked his heart
and pronounced him 1-A and he did get drafted, sent to "Nam" to never
be heard from again.
Still M.I.A.
My b.i.l. refused to even go for his physical. The gov't somehow missed that felony
and he never was bothered.
I passed 1-A and waited to get drafted. I'm still waiting.
Go figure?

Big mistake, fat people are easier to shoot.

jeager106

Premium Member
They don't build atomic weapons either.. And we do not have built-in sonar. So what?

Every adaptation has its consequences. We got sort of lucky, that is all.

Lucky? You mean lucky so far that we haven't entered into no win WW 3?

Yet.