• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any ideas for prayer?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What are some intentions that a person should pray for if indeed a God or Supernatural entities exist?

I want to see if you guys have any ideas that I have not come up with yet. I fill up note books full of prayers. Scripture says, you have not because you ask not.

But I don't really trust scripture, because scripture says "ask anything of the father"( in the name of Jesus)" and it will be given."

I need to see some evidence that that verse is true.

However, some of my prayers have been answered, and I'm convinced that prayer does have power. I'm just not convinced at all that the Bible contains no error.

So please give some ideas of what you would pray for if indeed you knew that God exists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What are some intentions that a person should pray for if indeed a God or Supernatural entities exist?

I want to see if you guys have any ideas that I have not come up with yet. I fill up note books full of prayers. Scripture says, you have not because you ask not.

But I don't really trust scripture, because scripture says "ask anything of the father"( in the name of Jesus)" and it will be given."

However, some of my prayers have been answered, and I'm convinced that prayer does have power. I'm just not convinced at all that the Bible contains no error.

So please give some ideas of what you would pray for if indeed you knew that God exists.

Id list all the things I'm grateful for and who I am as a person and as god to strengthen me to be a better person.

What you could do is read the bible first, say in the morning, and then pay attention to things that mirror what you read. Then, you are more mindful and if something good happens because of it, you can thank god.

There are many ways to communicate to god. Do your own thing.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Id list all the things I'm grateful for.....

You mentioned that first! That is totally awesome!

We don't want to ask, ask ask all the time, but mostly show ourselves thankful. -- Colossians 3:15; Philippians 4:5-6.
You are so right! You must be so sweet.

You do seem like it.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I like to pray for the spiritual and material well being of my family :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You mentioned that first! That is totally awesome!

We don't want to ask, ask ask all the time, but mostly show ourselves thankful. -- Colossians 3:15; Philippians 4:5-6.
You are so right! You must be so sweet.

You do seem like it.

Thank you. Catholicsm taught me a lot about spirituality that I would have never known if I wasnt Christian. A lot of lessons stick with me.

It's hard to find and actually internalize things we are grateful for. Reflecting is a good way to find that. (And of course reading your bible).

Thanks.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If God exists, then this supernatural deity doesn't seem to respond to anybody's thoughts or prayers, because prayers evidently don't solve any of our problems.

A well-known scientific study shows prayer doesn't work. This study is widely available for everyone to see.

Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certai... - PubMed - NCBI

1(4):934-42.
Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer.
Benson H1, Dusek JA, Sherwood JB, Lam P, Bethea CF, Carpenter W, Levitsky S, Hill PC, Clem DW Jr, Jain MK, Drumel D, Kopecky SL, Mueller PS, Marek D, Rollins S, Hibberd PL.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

17 I pray that the Father of glory, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, would impart to you the riches of the Spirit of wisdom and the Spirit of revelation to know him through your deepening intimacy with him.

18 I pray that the light of God will illuminate the eyes of your imagination, flooding you with light, until you experience the full revelation of the hope of his calling—that is, the wealth of God’s glorious inheritances that he finds in us, his holy ones!

19 I pray that you will continually experience the immeasurable greatness of God’s power made available to you through faith. Then your lives will be an advertisement of this immense power as it works through you! This is the mighty power 20 that was released when God raised Christ from the dead and exalted him to the place of highest honor and supreme authority in the heavenly realm! 21 And now he is exalted as first above every ruler, authority, government, and realm of power in existence! He is gloriously enthroned over every name that is ever praised, not only in this age, but in the age that is coming!

22 And he alone is the leader and source of everything needed in the church. God has put everything beneath the authority of Jesus Christ and has given him the highest rank above all others. 23 And now we, his church, are his body on the earth and that which fills him who is being filled by it!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gandhi's advice on this was the best suggestion I ever had, namely that God often "speaks" to us through strong feelings that we should do or not do something. But first, he said, we must judge hese feelings to make certain that they're moral, and then if we judge they are then we must do it and not make excuses not to.

I've followed that advice for over 40 years now and it opened so many doors that I never could have imagined.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
BTW, to the above, let me give just one example.

Back in 1991, I got pamphlet in my mailbox at work for an opportunity to go study the Holocaust in Poland and Israel, but I threw it in the trash. But then I had this feeling that maybe I should consider it, but I wasn't sure if I even could.

The more and more I thought about it, I felt this was a golden opportunity, so I approached my wife on this and asked her what she thought while expecting back from her "I don't think we can afford this". Instead she insisted I go for it because I had encouraged her to to back to her village in Sicily for five weeks in the 1980's which was a "game-changer" for her (she came to the U.S. when she was six).

So, I went, and let me just say that this was a BIG TIME "game changer" for me that has influenced me and my wife and my kids and even my grandkids through this day.