• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any good books?

Jumi

Are there good books, websites or documentaries that properly represent Native religions?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Are there good books, websites or documentaries that properly represent Native religions?
I can't speak to Native religions, but Graham Harvey has edited a volume called The Handbook of Contemporary Animism, which I find a very good approach in bringing a variety of perspectives on indigenous beliefs. Beyond that, I like Vine Deloria (God is Red and The World We Used to Live In) I think are very good and I've heard good things about. There are some others, but I haven't read them recently so I'd have to hunt them up to get authors/titles right.

GoodbyeDave

For a general survey of Native American beliefs, the classic work is
Religions of the American Indians by Åke Hultkrantz. 1979.

Steve Lee

Hi, not specifically about Native American religious beliefs, there is a great book named Hanta Yo, following the oral stories handed down through a Lakota community, by the nominated story teller. It certainly outlines the Native American connection with then creator, their community and the land on which they depend.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
The only one I've ever read was The Navajo - Meditations and Short Stories. That was pretty good, though I can't remember the author