• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any foods, drinks or drugs you avoid for spiritual reasons?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Most Muslims and Jews avoid eating pork, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists avoid alcohol and drugs like joints and tobacco.

Which foods, drinks or drugs (if any) do you try to avoid for spiritual reasons?
Is it a part of your spiritual path or a personal thing for you?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically I'm not allowed oysters, but that's fine because they are gross.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Most Muslims and Jews avoid eating pork, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists avoid alcohol and drugs like joints and tobacco.

Which foods, drinks or drugs (if any) do you try to avoid for spiritual reasons?
Is it a part of your spiritual path or a personal thing for you?
I avoid alcohol on days with an 'X' in it. Luckily, I've not come across on yet.

Marcion

About a half year after starting meditation I adopted a sentient or yogic diet which also excludes alcohol and non-prescribed drugs.
Sattvic diet - Wikipedia

This is the same diet that many Brahmins (such as the members of ISKCON) follow.

Since about ten years I started avoiding dairy as well for ethical and health reasons.

One small difference is that I will take some cacao in wintertime and the odd cup of coffee in some social situations.

Before starting the diet I experimented for a while to test the effects of the items that were not allowed to see for myself how they affected my purity and calmness of mind.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Technically I'm not allowed oysters, but that's fine because they are gross.

I have eaten exactly two oysters in my life. The only reason I ate the second one was to make sure I couldn't stand the first one. Never saw the attraction. To me, if you walk to the end of a long fishing pier, jump into the water, and lick the bottom of the pier, then you tasted an oyster.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have eaten exactly two oysters in my life. The only reason I ate the second one was to make sure I couldn't stand the first one. Never saw the attraction. To me, if you walk to the end of a long fishing pier, jump into the water, and lick the bottom of the pier, then you tasted an oyster.
Brave is the person who first ate an oyster.
Or starving.

I hate mint.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Nope, there's nothing that I won't eat for spiritual reasons.
Oysters are pretty gross though.

Marcion

Nope, there's nothing that I won't eat for spiritual reasons.
Oysters are pretty gross though.
Plus they ain't kosher?

My sentient diet has so many restrictions that eating from a stall or snackbar is practically impossible. Who would think of avoiding nutmeg, leeks or soya-sauce?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. I can eat or drink whatever I please. However, Dionysus has not called on me so I probably shouldn't get too wild in terms of trying out various substances.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'm typically kosher, meaning I avoid pork,rabbit, shellfish, catfish and shark, and birds other than turkey, geese, duck, and chicken. I used to buy only those meats which were kosher slaughtered, but I cannot find them where I live. Thus I am almost entirely vegetarian. Finally, I don't combine birds or animals with dairy products, so no cheesburgers! :)

Apart from those guidelines, I enjoy eating as diverse and exotic foods as I can. I look for exotic recipes, and have a full cabinet of spices. For example, I just made a twice baked beaten cauliflower with spices, cheddar and cream cheese, etc. I have the ingredients for a "chicken" meat substitute stir fry ready for my "Chinese" Christmas Day dinner. I live near Loma Linda, the headquarters for the SDA's so I can buy meat substitutes galore.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
If I'm being serious about it and going by the ideal monastic-style rules, I should be avoiding all meat, dairy, olive oil and wine for about half the year. I do adhere to that strict level of abstention for at least part of the Lenten, Nativity, Dormition and Apostles' Fasts, but I'm not up to fasting on regular Wednesdays and Fridays outside of those fasts yet.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying to be a bit healthier as of late. But my path doesn't prohibit anything. In fact it actively encourages mind altering substances in order to truly connect with everything the Universe/God has provided.

Though I also confess my hate of oysters. Terrible things.

The combination of seafood and milk products also does terrible things to my stomach. Which is a shame since I've had a couple of meals using that combo (the second was to confirm the consequence) which were absolutely delicious.

Shantanu

Anything that hinders survival should be avoided: there, I have said it. The objective of life is to live to a grand old age.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Yes, raw (live) oysters are not pleasant to eat, imo.

But please eat one more oyster, only this time you open it and boil it for three minutes. Now eat it and discover a completely different food altogether. Boiled oyster is actually sweet to the taste.

I have been collecting oysters off the foreshore for several decades and have always boiled them. They are simply a different food.