• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any fans of Wil Wheaton, a.k.a. Wesley Crusher?

pearl

For me none lived up to the original but;
A review of the new Stark Trek

If you’re of a certain age or like science fiction, you know of Wesley Crusher. He was the genius-level teenager on the 1980s “Star Trek: The Next Generation” reboot, a rather obvious attempt by the franchise to appeal to its own next generation. This “Star Trek” was so cool, it even had room for kids like us! You may also know of Wheaton because of his gorgeous performance at age 14 as Gordie in Rob Reiner’s 1986 coming-of-age film “Stand by Me.” The show couldn’t have cast a more talented and authentic kid.

But Wesley was a complete disaster. While his character was apparently modeled on the young Gene Roddenberry, the beloved creator of “Star Trek,” the writers leaned into all the things that would make him the least likable and most problematic for audiences—the fact that he didn’t fit in, have friends or act like a normal kid; his desperate insecurity; and worst of all, the fact that he was so much smarter than everyone else.

“Star Trek” has been around for almost 60 years. And while it has presented itself as a show about exploring strange new worlds, at its heart it has always been about elevating those who society has ignored or shunned—women, people of color, members of the L.G.B.T. community, immigrants, refugees, even national enemies (in the middle of the Cold War, Roddenberry included the Russian Chekov)—and insisting that they matter. We are the aliens for which we seek, and this beautiful and fragile existence would not be what it is without each of us. Thank God we continue to have “Star Trek,” and characters like Wesley Crusher, to help us see that.
The new ‘Star Trek’ has moments better than my best homilies | America Magazine

Heyo

Veteran Member
For me none lived up to the original but;
A review of the new Stark Trek

If you’re of a certain age or like science fiction, you know of Wesley Crusher. He was the genius-level teenager on the 1980s “Star Trek: The Next Generation” reboot, a rather obvious attempt by the franchise to appeal to its own next generation. This “Star Trek” was so cool, it even had room for kids like us! You may also know of Wheaton because of his gorgeous performance at age 14 as Gordie in Rob Reiner’s 1986 coming-of-age film “Stand by Me.” The show couldn’t have cast a more talented and authentic kid.

But Wesley was a complete disaster. While his character was apparently modeled on the young Gene Roddenberry, the beloved creator of “Star Trek,” the writers leaned into all the things that would make him the least likable and most problematic for audiences—the fact that he didn’t fit in, have friends or act like a normal kid; his desperate insecurity; and worst of all, the fact that he was so much smarter than everyone else.

“Star Trek” has been around for almost 60 years. And while it has presented itself as a show about exploring strange new worlds, at its heart it has always been about elevating those who society has ignored or shunned—women, people of color, members of the L.G.B.T. community, immigrants, refugees, even national enemies (in the middle of the Cold War, Roddenberry included the Russian Chekov)—and insisting that they matter. We are the aliens for which we seek, and this beautiful and fragile existence would not be what it is without each of us. Thank God we continue to have “Star Trek,” and characters like Wesley Crusher, to help us see that.
The new ‘Star Trek’ has moments better than my best homilies | America Magazine
For those who remember usenet, Google has adopted much of it into google groups, including
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die

vulcanlogician

He was a little annoying sometimes. But I don't think his awkwardness made him fail as a character. Maybe in 1990's viewers' minds it did...

What I don't like is the abrupt turn into left field the writers took with Crusher at the end of his story arc. Like, couldn't you just let him graduate from Star Fleet like a normal Star Trek character.

The show never really handled kids very well. If you ask me, Alexander was the REAL disaster. And speaking of Disaster, the TnG episode Disaster was also a fail.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I am a great STTNG fan, watched every episode when it was fresh and new. Currently watching the series repeat.
I have met most of the cast but not Wesley... Thank goodness, his character really bugged me though he did have some redeeming moments.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I loved Will Wheaton as Wesley once he was run through by bayonets.

I think his character as Wesley kind of destroyed his acting career making him a b actor at best.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I always thought of Wesley as an unliked nerd, a bit like me when I was young ;) So what bothered other people did not bother me.

I also truly loved the cameo appearance in the last episode of Picard, Season 2.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Big fan of most all of the Star Treks. Potential spoiler alert ahead !!!

In the last episode of "Picard" that we saw, Wesley had gone thru some transformation and had been elevated to some sort of "time lord" status. He welcomed a new comer to the ranks.

Spin off potential here? I think that would be GREAT!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I never had a real problem with Wesley Crusher while watching TNG, although the Wesley Crusher bashers were kind of funny.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the early episodes featuring Wesley was "Justice," which was so bad I almost stopped watching the series altogether. They visit a planet where the inhabitants have sex at the drop of a hat - any hat. But they also have a strange legal system which leads to Wesley being sentenced to death for accidentally wrecking some plants. They wanted to just beam Wesley out of there, but God prevented them from doing so. Strange episode, but I guess one could say that Wesley was saved through God's mercy.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am a great STTNG fan, watched every episode when it was fresh and new. Currently watching the series repeat.
I have met most of the cast but not Wesley... Thank goodness, his character really bugged me though he did have some redeeming moments.
So it wasn't just me. I did not get into STTNG largely because of that character. I don't think that it was him, personally. It was morel likely the writers since I never had a problem with him on The Big Bang Theory.

pearl

So it wasn't just me. I did not get into STTNG largely because of that character. I don't think that it was him, personally. It was morel likely the writers since I never had a problem with him on The Big Bang Theory.

That's really my only familiarity of Wheaton is through The Big Bang Theory. He seemed to really irk Sheldon.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's really my only familiarity of Wheaton is through The Big Bang Theory. He seemed to really irk Sheldon.
In the earlier episodes. Eventually they became friends of a sort and it was Sheldon that sometimes irked Wil by being Sheldon.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

70SeJF1.gif

The Big Bang Theory is by far my favorite sitcom.

I always loved the play between Sheldon and Wheaton.

I didn't really like the Crusher character on Star Trek, but I blame that primarily on poor writing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
“Star Trek” has been around for almost 60 years. And while it has presented itself as a show about exploring strange new worlds, at its heart it has always been about elevating those who society has ignored or shunned—women, people of color, members of the L.G.B.T. community, immigrants, refugees, even national enemies (in the middle of the Cold War, Roddenberry included the Russian Chekov)—and insisting that they matter. We are the aliens for which we seek, and this beautiful and fragile existence would not be what it is without each of us.
That is why I love Star Trek. It was decades ahead of its time and still is ahead of its time in many regards. And it's inclusion was long before it become faddish and trendy and a must for an award. And it shows with it appearing more natural and fitting in well, rather than it being thrown in to make money and win brownie points.
Out of all our moral teachers and guides, Roddenberry isn't even considered one but he showed us reaching the Stars and beyond by working together in mutual cooperation. Even concepts like Heaven and Hell are too divisive and too heavy a burden to lug around (though I do not doubt for a moment the Klingons literally killed their gods). He's probably the most suitable moral teacher for today's age.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
View attachment 62835

The Big Bang Theory is by far my favorite sitcom.

I always loved the play between Sheldon and Wheaton.

I didn't really like the Crusher character on Star Trek, but I blame that primarily on poor writing.
I agree. I was a bit disappointed with the last season ,but the actor that plays Sheldon had wisely decided to go out on a high note and had announced that it was his last season. They tried to wrap up too much too quickly.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I agree. I was a bit disappointed with the last season ,but the actor that plays Sheldon had wisely decided to go out on a high note and had announced that it was his last season. They tried to wrap up too much too quickly.

True.

Although the whole thing about the "competition" with that other team for the Nobel prize was quite funny.

I did love how it ended though, with that speech of his when he got his Nobel. Even though it was also kind of a bit atypical for the Sheldon character. It was a nice wrap-up.