• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any evidence for God or a god?

Alexrandell

I am a sceptic and as such require evidence to believe in anything. With that in mind, to any theists, what evidence can you show for God or a god.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
What would you consider evidence? Pictures? Video? Audio? Text, perhaps? Logic? Reason? Rationale? All of the above? One of the above? Some of the above?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Good point, reason I suppose. Obviously physical evidence would be best but that would be unlikely.

Reason is good enough? Well, that's easy then.

The reason (well one reason) there must be a god is because I insist the universe must be as interesting as It can be. As the inclusion of god is more interesting than the opposite... it follows that there must be one.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Most gods are more boring than the people who made them up.

I'd have to agree, but it's reality itself I'm concerned with. The more stuff reality contains, the more interesting it is. Even if some of that stuff is relatively boring compared to other stuff.

As an aside, I'd say gods are probably one of the more interesting things about people, boring as they are.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am a sceptic and as such require evidence to believe in anything. With that in mind, to any theists, what evidence can you show for God or a god.

Seriously, do you think you're going to hear evidence you haven't heard before? And any evidence anyone gives will not just spark a round and round debate that ends where it started?

Being an atheist or a theist comes from things deep in the psyche and another debate of the evidence isn't going to change that.

Sorry, I'm just getting a bit cynical and crabby in my old age.

But in a burst of youthful exuberance let me say; the atheist belief that matter that came from ????? organized itself into such mind-boggling complexities and then organized itself into unbelievably complex biological organisms with so many different complex biological processes going on in one organism; and then creating consciousness to be aware of itself in a way we don't understand; all happening without any thinking intelligence in the universe is a bit challenging too swallow.

To quickly also mention that the mystical/spiritual/religious/paranormal experiences throughout the history of mankind might imply something is trying to tell/show us something.

Alexrandell

Seriously, do you think you're going to hear evidence you haven't heard before? And any evidence anyone gives will not just spark a round and round debate that ends where it started?

Perhaps it will, but I'm interested to see what evidence people might have.

the atheist belief that matter that came from ????? organized itself into such mind-boggling complexities and then organized itself into unbelievably complex biological organisms with so many different complex biological processes going on in one organism; and then creating consciousness to be aware of itself in a way we don't understand; all happening without any thinking intelligence in the universe is a bit challenging too swallow.

Well there are scientific explanation for how complex things could come about without an intelligence, e.g. evolution and the big bang. As for the parts we don't understand yet, e.g. conciousness, what came before the big bang, what caused the big bang, etc. science will progress and one day explain them. Who knows maybe that explanation will be a god, but for now we should to do is carry on theorizing, researching and experimenting to answer those questions, not fill the gap with God.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Now, that's just depressing.

Oh come on, you don't log in to be depressed.

If you were most people, than there would have to be less than two whole people.

So am I less than a whole person because I'm divided between everyone else? Or are you less than a whole person because you aren't made of lots of people like me?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
But in a burst of youthful exuberance let me say; the atheist belief that matter that came from ????? organized itself into such mind-boggling complexities and then organized itself into unbelievably complex biological organisms with so many different complex biological processes going on in one organism; and then creating consciousness to be aware of itself in a way we don't understand; all happening without any thinking intelligence in the universe is a bit challenging too swallow.

Emergence is a difficult and counter-intuitive concept for many people to grasp.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you get right down to it, gods are simply that which some person or culture has deemed worthy of worship (or substitute words like celebrating, honoring, valuing, and revering; it's the same basic idea). In order for something to be deemed worthy of worship by people, it has to be known by people. For something to be known, it must exist in some fashion. That existence could be a literal object, an archetype, an abstraction, an ideal... whatever. For the purposes of finding something worthy of worship, they all exist and are very self-evident to those who worship them. In that spirit, finding your evidence is extremely simple:

Quit listening to what other people tell you about what gods are, and ask yourself what YOU find worthy of celebrating and valuing. That's your sacred stuff, your "gods" if you want to put that term to it. When you name those things, you'll probably find the question for evidence is silly, because these named things obviously and apparently exist to you. Maybe you value your human ancestors; your family and kinfolk. Maybe you find great inspiration from philanthropists and lovingkindness. Perhaps you see the awe-inspiring beauty of nature and find it worth celebrating. What it is doesn't matter, but when you find it, the realness of these things is obvious.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Perhaps it will, but I'm interested to see what evidence people might have.

I'll bet none of the evidence will be considered really impressive by you.

Let me know at the end of the thread though if I lose the bet. :D I can admit when I'm wrong which our RF buddies here will tell you happens so rarely.

Well there are scientific explanation for how complex things could come about without an intelligence, e.g. evolution and the big bang.

I also accept evolution and the big bang. But they do not resolve the question of God.

As for the parts we don't understand yet, e.g. conciousness, what came before the big bang, what caused the big bang, etc. science will progress and one day explain them. Who knows maybe that explanation will be a god, but for now we should to do is carry on theorizing, researching and experimenting to answer those questions, not fill the gap with God.

I'm also all for theorizing, researching and experimenting. I'm not one of those to say 'God did it' and stop.

My belief comes primarily from the type of human experiences I mentioned in the previous post.