• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any compromosing between Christianity and Buddhism?

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
I started my spiritual walk as a Zen Buddhist. I followed the eightfold path and the five lay precepts to the best of my ability and meditated quite frequently, especially with koans, as well as read a lot of books about the topic. But then because of various events in my life I converted to Christianity and eventually abandoned Buddhism entirely. But then once more, due to various life circumstances that I won't get in to, I became attracted to Buddhism once more, especially meditation due to a troubled mental life.

I don't feel like God would punish me for practicing Zen meditation because it really helps my mind to calm down and it helps me deal with my Bipolar illness as well as my religious delusions that people with Bipolar commonly experience.

But I'm interested as to whether you people believe that there is some way that you can somehow be both a Christian and a Buddhist. I miss the overwhelming feelings of compassion I felt from Buddhism and the peace of mind I would experience meditating in the park. But I also feel a strong commitment to Christ and to serve Him and sometimes I feel like I'm dishonoring Him by practicing anything grounded in Buddhism.

However, when you get right down to it, it seems as if these two religions have some things in common. The biggest thing to me that I see in common between the two is the denial of fleshy urges for the sake of spiritual development.

Anyway, what is your opinion on this?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm a Christian of sorts. I was meditating sporadically before, but recently I have started meditating regularly to stay on top of some stuff I have going on.

My opinion is - if anything makes you feel better and is harming no-one, go for it.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It doesn't bother me at all. It's not something that would work for me, as I don't feel any sort of connection to Christianity, but if it works for you, no problem.

Philosopically (or doctrinally), there are core disagreements, but these don't necessarily affect one on the practice level.

Dunemeister

There is an honored place in Christian tradition for meditation. The history of Christianity is literally littered with mystics and so forth who focus on such practices. You could easily spend a lifetime learning and mastering their techniques. I recommend finding a well-respected Roman Catholic, Anglican, or Greek Orthodox priest or layperson to help you sift the tradition if you've never had opportunity to. Once you've had a chance to see what sorts of things are going on in the Christian tradition, you'll be equipped to answer your question yourself.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A lot of Buddhist beliefs are the same or similar to Christian faith. Since I see Buddhism more as a philosophy and a way of life than a faith or religion, then I think someone could practice both.

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
I'm LHP and a big part of my belief is that everyone should find their own path and follow it. What i mean by that is find what speaks to you and go with it. If part of one religion speaks to you but another doesn't, then don't worry about the part that does not. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with practicing something from one belief and something from another if both of those things really help and speak to you.

I admit I am not any kind of authority on either Christianity or Buddism but it it improves your quality of life it can't be a bad thing.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
Thanks for the replies guys. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I can't imagine God punishing me for doing something that seems to benefit me as well as others by improving my state of mind, so I think I'll continue to practice Buddhist meditation and still keep my faith in Christ.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thanks for the replies guys. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I can't imagine God punishing me for doing something that seems to benefit me as well as others by improving my state of mind, so I think I'll continue to practice Buddhist meditation and still keep my faith in Christ.
Upon closer examination, I am going to echo the thoughts of Engyo and Dunemaster. You could simply take the practice of meditation from Buddhism and give it a Christian flavor. On the whole that may be the best approach. Have you, for example, tried meditating on the Christ personality, making him the object of your meditation?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
But I'm interested as to whether you people believe that there is some way that you can somehow be both a Christian and a Buddhist.
In Asia, such conversations do not dominate the way they do in the West. People do what works. And if they pray to different deities at different times, they assume that the deities will understand.

But if, as you said you feel you would "dishonor Christ" by identifying as both, then be Christian. I don't see it written anywhere in the bible that you cannot be Christian and still meditate to calm your mind. In fact, what do you think Jesus was doing in the desert? (And to actually *be* Buddhist would require more than just meditating; it requires a commitment to the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.)

The biggest thing to me that I see in common between the two is the denial of fleshy urges for the sake of spiritual development.
That's not exactly what Buddhism says. Nor do all branches of Christianity think that way. Not even.

Dunemeister

Upon closer examination, I am going to echo the thoughts of Engyo and Dunemaster. You could simply take the practice of meditation from Buddhism and give it a Christian flavor. On the whole that may be the best approach. Have you, for example, tried meditating on the Christ personality, making him the object of your meditation?

That's more or less the practice of Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), except that he didn't focus on "the Christ personality" (I assume you meant "Christ's personality"). He focussed on the stories in the gospels.

Jordan St. Francis

I too once considered myself a Buddhist, but as time went on its more notable deficiencies contributed to my theism and eventual conversion to Christianity. The primary problem of Buddhism, from a Christian POV, is that it denies a Creator God, is agnostic towards deity in general and denies the reality of the self.

That being said, it is still an entierly profound religion that gives us very practical methods for mental refinement, inner strength and acquiring compassion.

I still have my Buddha statue, which I keep in honour of the Buddha, though it he is now removed from my home shrine. I still, at certain times, take a break from more typical Christian devotions and attempt to meditate with no imagery in mind.

I find a good focus is on the breath. Remember that God breathed into clay and created life. You can meditate on the breath with this connection in mind. Or sit in silence, pondering the ineffibility of God or the divine silence itself. As Dunemeister said, there are rich Christian traditions of the sort, unfortunately of which I know little. The Orthodox Hesychasts come to mind.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
In my opinion most (if not all) religions are about getting rid of the ego... so they're quite similar in that regard. I don't think Jesus would have a problem with you meditating or doing anything that makes you a better person.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
And how dissimilar. Funny, that.

Haha, that's very true; I've always thought it would be interesting to hear a conversation between the Buddha and Christ. I've read the book "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A. Kempas and found that it stressed the denial of urges of the flesh and the denial of the self for the sake of helping others and following Christ. "The Imitation of Christ" is probably the most widely read book about Christianity besides the Bible, so I doubt the views proposed are extremely misguided. I've also read books about Christian forms of meditation and have started practicing those and they do seem to benefit me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Did you ever read Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh? That is a good comparison between Buddhism and Christianity. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
Did you ever read Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh? That is a good comparison between Buddhism and Christianity. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.

Yeah, I've read the book. I've read a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh's works actually; he was my favorite religious writer for awhile. I really enjoy his style. For some, it appears redundant, but in my opinion he is just able to express the same ideas in a lot of different ways making his style more "full" and easily able to comprehend, which I enjoy.
I really enjoyed his closing statements in that book which I won't try and reiterate because it has been so long since I've read the book, but it ended on a positive note claiming that yes you may love the apple, but nothing prevents you from also loving the mango.

Kcnorwood

Buddha:Hatred do not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love; this is an eternal truth... Overcome anger by love, Overcome evil by good. overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth.

Jesus: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. From anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again.

Buddha: One who acts on truth is happy, in this world and beyond.

Jesus: You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.

Buddha: One is the way to gain, the other is the way to Nirvana, knowing this fact, students of the Buddha should not take pleasure in being honored, but, should practice detachment.

Jesus: No slave can serve two masters For a slave will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth

All of this some 400 to 500 years before Christ.