• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Buddhists want to be my friend?

Dalia

Mahayana Zen Buddhist and some Shinto
I asked a question on Y!A with the following caption:
"I'm a 14 year old Buddhist girl. Why I am asking this is because I live in a Muslim country. Where there are NO Buddhists except me. I feel like I need some Buddhist friends. Can anyone BUDDHIST help me?"
All I get is insults and people saying I'm a "troll". But I was being honest ;(

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
"I'm a 14 year old Buddhist girl. Why I am asking this is because I live in a Muslim country. Where there are NO Buddhists except me. I feel like I need some Buddhist friends. Can anyone BUDDHIST help me?"

Unfortunately there are not many Buddhists here on RF. I would like to recommend some other forums but RF rules prevent this, so please PM me if you want further advice.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Dalia ji

I have read some of your other posts here so I understand your question , .....

please do tell me a little more about how and why you have become attracted to Buddhism , there are many different schools of thought in Buddhism , ...

...and please do not worry about your freind , the reaction karmicly for what she said will be very little as she is still young and under influence of her cultural background , many Muslims will be scared that it will be harmfull to you , they just dont want you to leave a faith which is tied in to family and culture , even if they are wrong in what they do or say , if they say something out of concern even if it is not the best thing to have said they will not suffer a bad reaction , it is only when a person acts ignorantly or selfishly and in full knowledge that the action is wrong that they will suffer a heavy reaction ....

so please do feel free to ask any questions , ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Sirona ji

Welcome to the forums! To my knowledge, Buddhists should rely on themselves :cool:. Maybe you should stay around the Buddhist forum and ask some questions. Have you introduced yourself in the introduction forum yet? ( http://www.religiousforums.com/forums/are-you-new-to-religiousforums-com.21/ )

in Buddhism sangha is very important , it is best to keep good company , that is company of those dedicated to keeping the practice , ...it is only when one becomes advanced that one goes into solitary meditation , true that we should rely upon our selves , but that means that we should rely upon our own efforts not the efforts of others , ......

Tom Tran

I am 16 years old and I am also a Buddhist. I am currently living in Canada and is finishing my last year of high school. Sometimes, I wonder why there are so few devoted young Buddhist followers and practitioners these days as if I should be listed in the 'Red Book' of the world. The number is just too scarce. Personally, I think there's a tremendous cultural and social pressure on a young person to stray from the path of Buddhism. It is certainly not evident in daily life but because of the radical difference in the sets of ideologies and lifestyles between a Buddhist and a normal guy living in Canada. Luckily, I received great support from my family and the Sangha that I am practicing with. However, I still find it quite uncomfortable to break these barriers. Guess I have to practice more diligently :))) Btw, I am very surprised and delightful to know that's there's another young Buddhist friend out there. Cheers!

Dalia

I am 16 years old and I am also a Buddhist. I am currently living in Canada and is finishing my last year of high school. Sometimes, I wonder why there are so few devoted young Buddhist followers and practitioners these days as if I should be listed in the 'Red Book' of the world. The number is just too scarce. Personally, I think there's a tremendous cultural and social pressure on a young person to stray from the path of Buddhism. It is certainly not evident in daily life but because of the radical difference in the sets of ideologies and lifestyles between a Buddhist and a normal guy living in Canada. Luckily, I received great support from my family and the Sangha that I am practicing with. However, I still find it quite uncomfortable to break these barriers. Guess I have to practice more diligently :))) Btw, I am very surprised and delightful to know that's there's another young Buddhist friend out there. Cheers!
Hey! I'm glad I finally found a Buddhist here :) If you want to be my friend, you are more than welcome. I believe in Japanese Pure Land Buddhism, a Mahayana branch. What about you?

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
I'm a Buddhist too ! But I'm too old at 55 to befriend you, but I do see that there are other Buddhists here offering advice and friendship.

Welcome to the forum, if your interested in dreams check out my thread Dream within a dream in the Paranormal section of the forum.

Blessings to you all.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Welcome. Check in the forum which was in the past quite active. I hope it is only a phase and Buddhists will wake up again. Start a thread or two. Please note, there are many half-Buddhists as well. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not exactly a Mahayanist so I should not really post here in this DIR, but welcome to RF, @Dalia. I hope you enjoy the premises. Try posting a bit around, and best of luck with your acquaintances.

Tom Tran

Hey! I'm glad I finally found a Buddhist here :) If you want to be my friend, you are more than welcome. I believe in Japanese Pure Land Buddhism, a Mahayana branch. What about you?
I used to practice with Mahayana and Zen for 2 years (mostly influenced by my sister) and now I am leaning towards Tibetan Vajrayana these days. However, both are equally effective pathways to practice :))) I sometimes travel to India in the winter with my family for pilgrimage. I am just curious, what draws you towards Buddhist philosophy in the first place?

Tom Tran

I'm a Buddhist too ! But I'm too old at 55 to befriend you, but I do see that there are other Buddhists here offering advice and friendship.

Welcome to the forum, if your interested in dreams check out my thread Dream within a dream in the Paranormal section of the forum.

Blessings to you all.
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll check that out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In spite of differences, it's all dharma. Its not a bad idea to have a Buddhist cafe' around for friendly banter for everyone of all ages. In not a dogmatic type of person, but I do put Zen Buddhism into practice and apply those practices off and on the cushion.

Pureland is an interesting school. Usually well suited for those having difficulties letting go of theism. There's a few temples in my area. Mostly within the city.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Welcome. Check in the forum which was in the past quite active. I hope it is only a phase and Buddhists will wake up again. Start a thread or two. Please note, there are many half-Buddhists as well. :)

Pff Half. :) I think maybe a lot of us are sniffing around the Hindu forum. Hopefully, it picks up.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, half. Buddha is my guru. I agree with many things that he says. Do not agree in some other things. Therefore, half.

Ana.J

Dalia, I am more close to Buddhist than to any other religion....and if you are the same, please remember that we are no fighters. We are peaceful warriors of love. Stay calm and believe in yourself! You are not alone! ;)

Dalia

I used to practice with Mahayana and Zen for 2 years (mostly influenced by my sister) and now I am leaning towards Tibetan Vajrayana these days. However, both are equally effective pathways to practice :))) I sometimes travel to India in the winter with my family for pilgrimage. I am just curious, what draws you towards Buddhist philosophy in the first place?
Well, I feel Buddhism is the path of peace. What about you?

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
At 12 I years of age I read a book by Lobsang Rampa titled 'The Third Eye' and ever since then I have been closely affiliated with Buddhism. I am now 55 and I remain closely affiliated with Buddhism.

Here is a beautiful video which I hope you will enjoy, from Zen Buddhism.

Tom Tran

At 12 I years of age I read a book by Lobsang Rampa titled 'The Third Eye' and ever since then I have been closely affiliated with Buddhism. I am now 55 and I remain closely affiliated with Buddhism.

Here is a beautiful video which I hope you will enjoy, from Zen Buddhism.

Thanks for the video. When I was 14, I participated a Plum Village Meditation course with Thich Nhat Hanh in Thailand. My entire family used to have a strong connection with Plum Village. In fact, most of what I learned about Zen came from Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings. I was extremely sad when Thay got ill several years ago. I hope Thay's recovering fast and strong.

Cheers,

Tom Tran

Well, I feel Buddhism is the path of peace. What about you?
That's also the primary reason which draws me towards Buddhism initially. However, later on, after I switched to Vajrayana where Buddhist practice and philosophy, just my personal opinion, is presented in a more forceful/wrathful manner. It's kinda like you are confronting the negative emotions within yourself in order to draw yourself closer to the true meaning of compassion and wisdom. I don't know really, but yeh, just some thoughts.