• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Atheists Ever Had A "Spiritual" Experience?

David T

Premium Member
No nowhere near it, its just natural that everything is one, its nothing to do with religion, its just that many who have had this or similar experience have made it into a religion, separating themselves from the experience.
Agreed.

minorwork

Destroyer of Worlds
Premium Member
I'm wondering if any other atheists here have ever had a "spiritual" experience. I've put the word "spiritual" in quotes because as atheists, we don't tend to believe in spirits. But, I don't know of another word to describe the feeling or experience that I mean.

I had the opportunity to go on a brief meditation retreat yesterday. It was 6 hours of varying types of meditation, all in silence. During one of the walking meditations, I became a little irritated. There I was on my day off of work walking through the grass barefoot on a cold afternoon, unable to speak, and unable to connect with my wife who was there as well. I wanted to walk with her. Then, it occurred to me that I really was walking with her. We just were not side-by-side nor were we communicating. But we were both walking, together in a way. And it occurred to me that I was walking with everyone at the retreat, and really everyone in the world. I began to feel a deep sense of connectedness. I thought of theists who describe their "walk with god," and it occurred to me that maybe I understood what they mean. I felt that I was walking on a spiritual journey with all of humankind, and really, all life and all concepts. It was a profoundly spiritual experience.
Does experiencing existence independent of the body count? There be a physical explanation involving similar as synesthetes in that the sense of gravity is absent for a bit and the feelings that lead to sensing gravity are temporarily "indisposed." Spiritual? Oh boy, like nothing else but it does have a non-spiritual explanation in the rewiring of the brain thru concentration exercises.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I'm wondering if any other atheists here have ever had a "spiritual" experience. I've put the word "spiritual" in quotes because as atheists, we don't tend to believe in spirits. But, I don't know of another word to describe the feeling or experience that I mean.
Whether you are religious or not, it is not a matter of "believing in spirits" but of believing in your own spiritual/intuitive senses.

vijeno

I began to feel a deep sense of connectedness.

I tend to view spirituality as so ill-defined as to be almost useless.

Almost.

There are no good alternative words, so we have to go with what we have.

Yes, I had that sense of connectedness. I hope to have it more often, as I try to meditate on a daily basis. :)

It doesn't mean that there "is something out there", or that "religion was right, after all". It means that we can have those experiences because they are rooted in our brains, for whatever reason.

I happen to think that they make me a happier, more relaxed, better person. So I want more of that.

If anyone has a better word for that, pray do come forward!

Actually, I think I might start a thread for that....

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
"House: If you believe in eternity, then life is irrelevant - the same as a bug is irrelevant in comparison to the universe.

But his premise is wrong. If this is a test, the test is how each individual with full self-awareness (which excludes bugs), exercises the moral free will that self-awareness provides. We can't exercise that free will if there is evidence that God exists (thus the rational, natural universe with the Big Bang as a firewall between us and God). And if there is no God/eternity/hereafter, then free will is pointless.

Eve: If you don't believe in eternity, then what you do here is irrelevant.

Of course our belief in eternity is irrelevant. The ultimate Truth is all that matters.

House: Your acts here are all that matters.

True enough, but only if there is a test, and a reward for doing well on it. Worst case: if you were locked in a hell hole by yourself for your entire life, what could you possibly do or think that would matter in an atheistic universe with nothing but oblivion to follow?

Eve: The(n) nothing matters (if) there are no ultimate consequences. "

The patient expresses the idea that if this life is all there is, then what's the point? But for House, if this is all there is, then what we do here is the only thing that matters. In fact it makes it matter all that much more."

...The only thing that matters to who what--oblivion? Mattering or meaning has to have an object on which it acts. What does anything matter if we all die and that's it, some living a life of misery without even an opportunity to matter in a vacant atheistic universe?

So in his own way he really does care.

It still comes down to House being offended by the idea of him being tested without his consent. But he never stops to think what the test might be, or why he's being tested, and he dismisses the possibility of there being a tester with an unjustified certainty.

Equilibrium

Priest of his own Order
I used to be a hardcore atheist, until I started experimenting with my mind (hypnosis) and practicing the occult.

I had some pretty interesting experiences, if I can say so myself.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I was born into Christianity, became an Atheist, and later a spiritual person. I didn't really understand my subjective reality in my youth to the extent where I could embrace it and not second guess it, so therein lies the crux of the dilemma. It's hard for me to say "theist" as a defining term in my life because I don't really view I, us, or "them" as independent beings in the way that most people commonly do. I'm aware of the connected-ness of things, and from there I leave it to others to sort out. You want to take that as some spiritual thing? I don't know if spiritual or just natural, people often draw the distinction but to me they are one in the same. For something to be mystic, supernatural, or spiritual is a strange way of looking at it...

So, I guess to answer your question -- as an "Atheist" (whatever assumptions that involves) I had many experiences which convinced me that _it_ doesn't really provide an accurate model in that it is evidence based and limited by that initial presumption. Humans are anything but evidence based... :D We are not creatures of cold logic, but rather subjective and impulsive ones capable of briefly pretending to be as such.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I have had "spiritual" experiences as a christian and as a pagan. The pagan ones were a lot more convincing and meaningful.

Jedster

• "I choose to believe that the white light people sometimes see... they're all just chemical reactions that take place when the brain shuts down.... There's no conclusive science. My choice has no practical relevance to my life, I choose the outcome I find more comforting.... I find it more comforting to believe that this isn't simply a test." Dr Gregory House
I think I should say what motivated me to put up this quote, bearing in mind the op.
I have been a mediator most of my adult life and one of the meditations I do is on inner light which I see. When I started I was a theist (and probably a Gnostic theist). I firmly believed that I was seeing God and had wonderful meditations. There came a time when I completely lost my god-belief and became a strong atheist for some time.
However, I never stopped meditating and I still had the same experiences.
My point was that many people can have the same experience, yet associate completely different beliefs to said experience.
I chose the House quote because he is an atheist and gives an atheist's view of 'the light'.
My choice has no practical relevance to my life, I choose the outcome I find more comforting....
He has decided there is no god and carries on with what is in front of him. He doesn't want to procrastinate on the subject. Often procrastination can take one to much into one's mind and one can miss what is in front of us. Right? :>)

It still comes down to House being offended by the idea of him being tested without his consent. But he never stops to think what the test might be, or why he's being tested, and he dismisses the possibility of there being a tester with an unjustified certainty.
Good point, which I missed.
I should have left out the last line in the quote.
Cheers.

Equilibrium

Priest of his own Order
Pray do tell!

Oh, boy, where do I start...

One time I fell into a trance/hypnotic state where I was experiencing the life of a girl I had dreams of when I was younger. It's no one I've ever seen, let alone know. Nor do I know her name. But, during this trance, I've seen through her eyes, as if I was inside of her body. I've also see another familiar face in that trance which was her sister, whom I have dreamed of only once.

Long story short, a lot of the events that girl has experienced align with what I have experienced throughout my childhood. The parallels were uncanny - and one particular event explains my odd behavior when I was a baby.

Now, I can't say what I believe in past lives or reincarnation. The first thing I do when I have such experiences is try to come up with a rational, scientific explanation. If I am unable to do so, then I'll chalk it up as something I can't quantify - maybe it was a flashback from a past life, maybe I've somehow received/awakened information of my ancestor, maybe it was just a dream-like state where my brain came up with a symbolic explanation for some of the things I've done and experienced. There's no way for me to know what it was, nor do I particularly bother to explain it nowadays. All I know is that it was a unique, wonderful experience.

Another experience I had goes beyond the realm of coincidence. When I first got interested in the occult, I've noticed that everywhere I went, or looked, I would find books on the occult. First my father's drawer which is really odd as he is a Christian, and he in fact steers clear from this subject. Then, when I went to visit my grandmother, I found some brand new books on the occult there as well, which is really, really odd because she's an atheist, and thinks the occult is bunk.

...Not to mention that the books were in English (my grandmother doesn't like English), and she never saw those books in her life. She was really surprised when I found them.

And it didn't even stop there; I received suggested pages and invitations to occult-related discussion groups on facebook, even though I've never, EVER browsed anything about this topic on facebook. THEN, I started meeting people in real life who are interested in it. THEN, I'd hear my professors at college mentioning a few things related to the subject.

It eventually stopped after a while.

Then there are experiences I had during my meditations & rituals, and results I received after them. They were pretty successful. I won't go into any more details, as my rituals are very private and dear to me. All I can say is that during the rituals, I've experienced what I can only describe as "awakening/embracing a particular archetype."

Sorry for the long wall of text, by the way.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

I had the opportunity to go on a brief meditation retreat yesterday. It was 6 hours of varying types of meditation, all in silence. During one of the walking meditations, I became a little irritated. There I was on my day off of work walking through the grass barefoot on a cold afternoon, unable to speak, and unable to connect with my wife who was there as well. I wanted to walk with her. Then, it occurred to me that I really was walking with her. We just were not side-by-side nor were we communicating. But we were both walking, together in a way. And it occurred to me that I was walking with everyone at the retreat, and really everyone in the world. I began to feel a deep sense of connectedness. I thought of theists who describe their "walk with god," and it occurred to me that maybe I understood what they mean. I felt that I was walking on a spiritual journey with all of humankind, and really, all life and all concepts. It was a profoundly spiritual experience.

Congratulations! Are you familiar with TM meditation? I am a theist but before I become a Christian I was trying on Buddhism, the person that was mentoring me urged me (while mediating) to try and achieve the oneness you experienced. You are another step closer to 'enlightenment' ! I also think to the chagrin of at least one scientific minded member here that all things are entangled not just quantum level (ie local level)_ but both macro and micro objects are 'entangled' and maybe that is what we are tapping into when in deep meditation. There are quantum processes in the brain that we are only now beginning to discover and understand, maybe the entire human race is on the verge of oneness?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am sure that at some time or other we all experience thought so deep and profound that it is immensely comforting and meaningful. The source of that thought can varied, a new born child, the spring greening of a valley, a lucky escape from near accident...

People can label thought as spiritual if that's how they bend, personally i see it as a chemical reaction in my brain and i don't need theism or atheism to brand it as anything other than the human condition.

Reverend Real

My dear brother, what you felt was a joyful surrounding of friends and love ones. It had nothing to do with God. I used to be an Atheist and only after my encounter with God did I know God existed. Now, I know that you must think that I am crazy, as I would think before my encounter, that you were if you told me that you encountered God.
God did not create any religion, let alone the bible or any religious book or document. What created was the Ten Commandment and that is the only word of God. The bible is not a good book, for there is none good be it man, woman, child, or a book or graven image that is good, except God. God is a spirit, not something that you can see. Many have claimed to encounter God, but God would not encounter you to say hello. God had me write a book so that people will understand God and not be confused with stupid man-made religions that contradict the word of God, which I repeat is only the Ten Commandments. Remember that Jesus said there shall be many who shall come in my name and they shall deceive you. In the book I talk about why Jesus said pick up the Serpent and drink all deadly things. Remember Jesus said that to the first Mitt Romney (LOL) Don't call me good master for there is none good but God in Heaven. He never told Mitt to read a bible (created by man) let alone join a church. Especially one where you are taught to disobey the Ten Commandments ( to foolishly believe that you will be forgiven) and then instead of giving to the needy, you are taught to give to the church so the preacher can buy a new jet plane. The book explains that Jesus was God's chosen one, that is why he told me people do not praise me, for no man can serve to masters. For if you love one, you must hate the other. Jesus was crucified not so you could sin, but because he allowed Satan to take him upon the mountain and Satan trick him by making him to want people to praise him. On the cross Jesus cried out, God why have you betrayed me. This is written in the bible, but what is not written is what God's answer. God told Jesus, I sent you to lead the people, but to lead the people to me, instead you have lead them to yourself. They do not praise my name, they praise yours! What is my first Commandment? That they shall never have any God but me, yet you have they calling out your name instead of mines. It is not I who have betrayed you Jesus, it is you who have betrayed me. This is why you must be crucified, so that the people know that they only worship God (the holy Spirit) not some mere man. Just like you said, Jesus, no man can serve two masters. They call out your name and serve you not me. So I must crucify you so they know that you are no God. I am the only God. The God can moves, who hold back the seas for Moses to cross, when you a weak mere man cannot even pull tiny small nails from your hands, but yet you have them see you as a mighty God. No, I have not betrayed you Jesus, you betrayed me and that is why you are being crucified. The book explains the bible which consist of fiction and non-fiction, truths, lies, and partials truth. It explains why some children are born at birth with mental and physical disabilities, why there are tsunami, hurricanes, nature disaster. My dear brother I am not religious and neither is God. For I say to you if you would not commit sin in a man-made church of wood and stone, then why would you commit sin in God's house of flesh and bone. Thy body is they only Temple. To God be Thy Glory. Also when I was with God, the spirit (not man) spoke of the lost sheep. Being an atheist, I ask if it is I you speak of? God replied No, for there are many atheist in my Heaven, for one do not show their love to me with words but only through their actions.
You can go to any prison and ask, how many are you are atheist then ask how many of you are religious. I assure that the religious ones will win hands down. Words means nothing to God, it is what you do that show your love. A heathen can go to a million churches and pray all he wants, but if he commits sins by foolishly listening to hippocrits who tell him it is all right to sin by asking forgiveness than obey what Jesus said, obey the ten commandement and give t the needy. Then let me just say you must get away from those false prohphet. God is always within you myself , the spi reside in no church but yours, that is why your body is your temple,

I think of 2 different causes or meanings of your spiritual experience.

First, I think you might have connected to the Namaste god which is everything all at once. But you could only comprehend the thoughts that Namaste thinks through your immediate surroundings. However, you did say that you were walking with everyone in the world. Did you see people walking down a sidewalk you could not see? Tell me more about these feelings of world connectedness.

Second, this could just be a crazy delusion similar to those experienced by Delsym-abusers. Humans are very proud in nature and sometimes we feel like being ourselves and seeing a few other people amounts to controlling the whole world all at once.

That's a very interesting story, as someone born and BRED a staunch atheist, remaining so for decades, it was a very similar experience that ultimately changed me- moving from an urban environment where I had always lived, to living in and around 'creation'.- I think it's hard to see God's work, and hence God himself, when physically separated from it

Wow. I've always lived in bigger cities and I see God's hand in everyone's actions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wow. I've always lived in bigger cities and I see God's hand in everyone's actions.
And I don't see God's hand anywhere. How do you reconcile these two viewpoints?

Here's how I do it:

- I take this to mean that when you approach life with the presumption that God is involved in everything, your expectations closely match reality.

- However, I also recognize that my own expectations - that make no reference to any gods at all - also closely match reality.

- I take this to mean that the question of whether or not a person accepts the difference between our worldviews - i.e God - has no bearing on how good our expectations agree with reality.

- Since God doesn't have an impact on how well our expectations agree with reality, God is irrelevant to the things that we see, perceive and experience in the world.

What's your approach to this problem? If you really think that signs of God can be seen everywhere, how do you reconcile this with the fact that many, many people don't see these signs at all?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But his premise is wrong. If this is a test, the test is how each individual with full self-awareness (which excludes bugs), exercises the moral free will that self-awareness provides. We can't exercise that free will if there is evidence that God exists (thus the rational, natural universe with the Big Bang as a firewall between us and God).
Nonsense. Better information doesn't deny free will. An obvious choice is not the same as no choice.

Also, you do realize that one implication of your position that there is no evidence for God is that you're condemning your own god-belief as utterly irrational, don't you?