• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any artists here who can answer a question for me?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am currently sitting down and doing a painting in Oil paint, and of reason it look more alive even long before the painting has been finished than when I paint with acrylic paint.o_O

For as long as I can remember I have used acrylic paint because that was what I was taught in art school. So oil painting is a bit unfamiliar to me :)

Any suggestion to what brand of oil painting colors that is best for an hobby painter?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Windsor and Newton are one of the best but they're expensive, don't know the brands in Norway

PureX

Veteran Member
There is no one right answer. Oil paint is expensive and takes a long time to dry. But a lot of people really like the richness of the colors and the texture of oil paint and that it allows for lots of working time. On the other hand the immediacy and durability of acrylics coupled with it being relatively inexpensive allows for a lot of experimentation, layering, fillers for thickening, and so on. So it all depends on what you're trying to do.

Something to consider might be to buy house paint tint base and a set of primary colored tints, and some water-based high gloss polyurethane. Then mix these to make your own colors and level of reflective sheen. You can also learn how to use an air brush pretty easily and without spending a fortune, if you want, though they produce a distinctive look that is not always appropriate.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is no one right answer. Oil paint is expensive and takes a long time to dry. But a lot of people really like the richness of the colors and the texture of oil paint and that it allows for lots of working time. On the other hand the immediacy and durability of acrylics coupled with it being relatively inexpensive allows for a lot of experimentation, layering, fillers for thickening, and so on. So it all depends on what you're trying to do.

Something to consider might be to buy house paint tint base and a set of primary colored tints, and some water-based high gloss polyurethane. Then mix these to make your own colors and level of reflective sheen. You can also learn how to use an air brush pretty easily and without spending a fortune, if you want, though they produce a distinctive look that is not always appropriate.
I am learning something new every day within painting :) but at the moment I think it is a bit complicated to start with airbrush :) but I see it's use.
Mixing my own color can be fun, but I trust the pain in tubes as good as my ability to break my own color :)

But yes good advice, thank you.

Psalm23

Check the reviews for different oil paint products. There is likely some video reviews that show how different oil paint brands looks as well.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Check the reviews for different oil paint products. There is likely some video reviews that show how different oil paint brands looks as well.
It may be the oil in oil paint that is the reason why the painting is more alive than when I use acrylic paint, I will do some research :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am adding the photo of the scenery I am painting, and my unfinished painting. So yes there are mistakes and some color differences but it is all due to my style of painting.

Attachments

• 20211124_184449.jpg
    20211124_184449.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 51292139621_21713f04bd_n.jpg
    51292139621_21713f04bd_n.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0