• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antivirus Question

nPeace

Veteran Member
What is your experience with Antivirus software... Which would you recommend as the best, and more effective at guarding your pc?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
What is your experience with Antivirus software... Which would you recommend as the best, and more effective at guarding your pc?

I use Norton, it seems to work ok although their constant ads can be a little annoying. A lot of people hate it though and these days about the only thing I do with the computer is photo editing and and chatting on forums and watching youtube so I'm not sure if it slows things down too much for gamers. And it's a little on the expensive side. I also occasionally run the free version of Malewarebytes as it picks up some advertising stuff Norton misses although it hasn't found anything for ages. I also use Nord VPN and the Duck Duck Go add on with Firefox which hopefully stops some of the tracking.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I use Norton, it seems to work ok although their constant ads can be a little annoying. A lot of people hate it though and these days about the only thing I do with the computer is photo editing and and chatting on forums and watching youtube so I'm not sure if it slows things down too much for gamers. And it's a little on the expensive side. I also occasionally run the free version of Malewarebytes as it picks up some advertising stuff Norton misses although it hasn't found anything for ages. I also use Nord VPN and the Duck Duck Go add on with Firefox which hopefully stops some of the tracking.
Thanks.
I used Norton before, and dumped it after realizing it failed to detect viruses other software found. I think there were false positives also.
I don't know if it got any better since 2020.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Has Malwarebytes ever found any malware Norton missed, or visa versa?

Jedster

I've been using BullGuard for over a decade and found it very affective. I had Norton & others before which weren't as good.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I've been using BullGuard for over a decade and found it very affective. I had Norton & others before which weren't as good.
What others were those? ...if you don't mind sharing.

Interesting how opinions differ so vastly.
BullGuard Review: Quick Expert Summary
BullGuard offers advanced anti-malware protection, some pretty useful extra features, and a really good game booster that enhances PC performance for gamers. However, it has some shortcomings and there are better products out there, such as Norton or Bitdefender.

BullGuard’s anti-malware scanner is really good — it uses a malware database and dynamic machine learning to block both known and zero-day threats with a 100% success rate. But BullGuard unfortunately slowed down my PC during a full system scan much more than some other competitors — when I performed full scans with Norton, Bitdefender, and Avira, there was no slowdown, and I could browse the web, watch video content, and even play games without any issues.

BullGuard Antivirus handles antivirus basics and adds a couple lightweight bonuses, but it doesn’t come close to challenging the best competitors.

Looks like BullGuard is actually Norton though.
BullGuard is a good antimalware tool that is now part of NortonLifeLock Inc. That's right, NortonLifeLock has acquired BullGuard antivirus, and the suite will eventually transition into Norton, dropping the BullGuard name altogether.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Has Malwarebytes ever found any malware Norton missed, or visa versa?

Malwarebytes used to find advertising and tracking stuff that Norton missed all the time but it hasn't found anything for the last couple of years. I don't know about the other way round.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A non-profit I work with uses Bitdefender and my experience has been positive. I also have Norton but it's a bit intrusive about wanting to enable add-ons. I would choose based on whether or not the "life lock" feature was critical.

Jedster

What others were those? ...if you don't mind sharing.

Interesting how opinions differ so vastly.
BullGuard Review: Quick Expert Summary
BullGuard offers advanced anti-malware protection, some pretty useful extra features, and a really good game booster that enhances PC performance for gamers. However, it has some shortcomings and there are better products out there, such as Norton or Bitdefender.

BullGuard’s anti-malware scanner is really good — it uses a malware database and dynamic machine learning to block both known and zero-day threats with a 100% success rate. But BullGuard unfortunately slowed down my PC during a full system scan much more than some other competitors — when I performed full scans with Norton, Bitdefender, and Avira, there was no slowdown, and I could browse the web, watch video content, and even play games without any issues.

BullGuard Antivirus handles antivirus basics and adds a couple lightweight bonuses, but it doesn’t come close to challenging the best competitors.

Looks like BullGuard is actually Norton though.
BullGuard is a good antimalware tool that is now part of NortonLifeLock Inc. That's right, NortonLifeLock has acquired BullGuard antivirus, and the suite will eventually transition into Norton, dropping the BullGuard name altogether.

That's all news to me. Thanks for the update.
I only remember that I found Norton very complicated to use. BullGuard has been easy for me to use and does the job. So I am satisfied.

nPeace

Veteran Member
A non-profit I work with uses Bitdefender and my experience has been positive. I also have Norton but it's a bit intrusive about wanting to enable add-ons. I would choose based on whether or not the "life lock" feature was critical.
Thanks. That helped.

Bitdefender vs. Kaspersky: which antivirus is better?
According to the most recent AV-TEST Institute results, both Bitdefender and Kaspersky have the maximum scores and have received top product certificates. Additionally, the scores were identical across all tested platforms, including Windows, macOS, and Android. Therefore, it's fair to conclude that you will be getting malware protection of the highest caliber based on this data.

Another independent malware testing lab, AV-Comparatives, found some differences. While they got a 99.9% protection rate with Bitdefender, Kaspersky only managed 99.5%. This isn't a tremendous difference, but it still means that out of 736 test cases, four viruses got through. In turn, Bitdefender was awarded the Advanced+ rating, while Kaspersky only earned Advanced.

Bitdefender vs. Malwarebytes: Which Is Better in 2022?
Bitdefender is better for overall security, features, and price.

Bitdefender’s real-time protection is also excellent. It caught 100% of the malware in my tests, blocking every dangerous file before it had the chance to download.

During my tests, Malwarebytes’s scanner found 95% of the malware samples I hid on my device, and its real-time protection blocked 98% of the malware files I tried to download.
This isn’t as good as top competitors like Norton and Bitdefender, but it's a good industry average

Looks like I should check out Bitdefender.

nPeace

Veteran Member
1. Come to Linux.
2. I found Malwarebytes to be good.
3. Currently use uBlock origin.
Tried Linux. Headache getting Wine to work properly, to run important programs. It's too limited.

Malwarebytes is good, but I am not sure it is as effective in keeping out every 'invader'.

nPeace

Veteran Member
@John53 @Jedster @sun rise @Secret Chief what are your thoughts on Kaspersky... if any?

I just scanned my computer with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (KVRT). The C drive is clean, but it reports malware on the external drive.

I had previously done a full scan on both drives with Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes.
Both results returned clean.

I don't believe this is a false positive, because KVRT reported a file that's a risk tool, and one that is advertising software, and the call look legit.
The third is a document - HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic (Trojan program)

I used WinHTrack to save some pages, and the file was found among them. I figure it's a file from a link, since it's in a sub-folder.

I used KVRT before, but had forgotten about it.
Anyone had any experience with using Kaspersky Antivirus / Security?

Jedster

@nPeace
I had Kaspersky briefly when I got a new computer(circa 15 years ago). It came free with the package.
I used it briefly but shifted to BullGuard because I found the front end easer to use.
I didn't use it long enough to give any real feedback to you.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't have any experience with Kaspersky. We're avoiding it because it's based on Russia and given everything that is going on, I don't trust it's independent of the Russian government but I have no proof or evidence. It's just that there are other great choices like Bitdefender around.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't have any experience with Kaspersky. We're avoiding it because it's based on Russia and given everything that is going on, I don't trust it's independent of the Russian government but I have no proof or evidence. It's just that there are other great choices like Bitdefender around.
I would like to check out Bitdefender, but I think the only free scan you can get is on the cloud... which isn't my favorite place to be, and I don't want to install the trial just to test it out.