• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antichoice pharmacist denies Plan B to consenting woman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too few people understand that when one works in a "public
accommodation", eg, a store, an apartment complex, one
should know in advance that one has legal obligations.
If these conflict with one's morals, one shouldn't work in
that business without alerting one's employer, who might
or might not be willing to create a work-around to meet
both their legal obligations & the worker's personal limitations.

Is it safe to assume that pharmacies which stock Plan B
do so with intention to sell it for that purpose? (There could
be some other usage...unrelated to pregnancy ending.)
If so, the worker who'd deny the customer the product is
really putting the employer in a pickle.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

It's not unlike the Kim Davis gay marriage license debacle. She was/is a government employee and was duty-bound to issue a marriage license to both straight and gay couples. She cited her religious beliefs for refusing to issue one to a gay couple. She went to jail for a time, and I hope she has since found a new job more in line with her "morals". You conform to the job, not the other way around.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
First ever lesson I remember learning when I started my first ever job.
“The life of the customer is none of your business.”
I hope the pharmacist is fined. Part of working is doing your damned job.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10

I agree. If we as a society could just come together on human rights.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
First ever lesson I remember learning when I started my first ever job.
“The life of the customer is none of your business.”
I hope the pharmacist is fined. Part of working is doing your damned job.
I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. Maybe because people are mostly not self employed.

My main job is custom picture framer. I make money by framing whatever customers bring in. I don't judge it, I just sell them the best frame I can.

The worst was probably an expensive print, back around 2006. It was a reproduction of a painting depicting President Bush at a podium with the presidential seal, head bowed in prayer. Behind him, a little ghostly, were the figures of Washington and Lincoln with their arms around his shoulders. Behind them, even more evanescent, was Jesus with His arms outstretched around them all. His eyes looking upwards.:rolleyes:

The customer looked at me and said, "It's so beautiful! It makes me want to cry." I smiled and nodded and gave her the quote. I didn't say(out loud), "Yeah, it makes me want to cry also, but for very different reasons I suppose."
Nevertheless, she got a top quality product. The one she wanted, exactly as she wanted. That's the way things work here in the free world. You don't tell other people what they can or cannot do, even if you despise what they stand for.
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. Maybe because people are mostly not self employed.

My main job is custom picture framer. I make money by framing whatever customers bring in. I don't judge it, I just sell them the best frame I can.

The worst was probably an expensive print, back around 2006. It was a reproduction of a painting depicting President Bush at a podium with the presidential seal, head bowed in prayer. Behind him, a little ghostly, were the figures of Washington and Lincoln with their arms around his shoulders. Behind them, even more evanescent, was Jesus with His arms outstretched around them all. His eyes looking upwards.:rolleyes:

The customer looked at me and said, "It's so beautiful! It makes me want to cry." I smiled and nodded and gave her the quote. I didn't say(out loud), "Yeah, it makes me want to cry also, but for very different reasons I suppose."
Nevertheless, she got a top quality product. The one she wanted, exactly as she wanted. That's the way things work here in the free world. You don't tell other people what they can or cannot do, even if you despise what they stand for.
Tom
Far too many people seem to lack a thing called “professionalism.”
Jeez I feel like some boomer lecturing about the ills of the world and today’s youth and I’m probably younger than the pharmacist in question.
When I worked front counter, I was very staunchly anti cigarette. Still am.
But some shifts I had to “man the smokes counter” as we called it. My customers ranged from stressed mothers to obviously homeless people using busking money and yes even obviously pregnant women.
How do you think I felt when I did my job? Handing a heavily pregnant woman a carton of smokes, with a forced retail smile biting my tongue so hard I’m surprised I didn’t taste blood. But the only way I could refuse is if the customer looked under 25 and failed to show legally accepted ID. I’ve refused healthy strapping young men simply because their ID didn’t have a photo. And I’ve handed over “rolly tobacco” to gentlemen who look like they should be in the cancer ward. Like I was somehow allowing disease to spread through my community. Mind you I’m only like 18/19/20 at the time. And to this day I still get carded on occasion when buying my admittedly just as unhealthy vice (bourbon.) Which made for some “interesting” customer reactions when I had to ask for ID.
But that’s just part of the job and if I didn’t do it, then I could either quit or be fired. So in the end I just had to suck it up.

Last edited: