• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-trans bill passes in Kentucky

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I don’t think it’s legitimate, nor scientifically accurate to say sex and gender are different.
It is.

Sex is biological. Gender is a social construct.

"Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. It is primarily associated with physical and physiological features including chromosomes, gene expression, hormone levels and function, and reproductive/sexual anatomy. Sex is usually categorized as female or male but there is variation in the biological attributes that comprise sex and how those attributes are expressed.

Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people. It influences how people perceive themselves and each other, how they act and interact, and the distribution of power and resources in society. Gender identity is not confined to a binary (girl/woman, boy/man) nor is it static; it exists along a continuum and can change over time. There is considerable diversity in how individuals and groups understand, experience and express gender through the roles they take on, the expectations placed on them, relations with others and the complex ways that gender is institutionalized in society."

The reason for giving the information about cosmetic financial profits is just to demonstrate the huge motivation of these corporations to invest in, push and manipulate the gender ideology for ongoing profit. Cosmetics are just one aspect of a far larger business complex.
It doesn't demonstrate that though and you didn't even address my response.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Personally I think the right age to transition, if someone need to, is 18+. “I can die for my country but not get a sex change?” But I also think tobacco and alcohol should also be 18+. Consent should be 18+ too. And renting a damn car too! Everything should be legal at 18 except for becoming the President. 35+, the current limit, seems right to me. Most LGBT type people agree with the 18+ rule anyways. I get it — your mind isn’t fully developed until about 24, but, your body is pretty much finished at 18, except the fact many people get wider in their 20s and 30s.
The fact that the mind isn’t fully developed at age 18 is the biggest reason the tobacco and alcohol age is 21. The military being age 18 is such a foolish thing as well, but that’s how they get their soldiers - it would be harder to manipulate a 21 year old into throwing away their life than an 18 year old.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally I think the right age to transition, if someone need to, is 18+. “I can die for my country but not get a sex change?” But I also think tobacco and alcohol should also be 18+. Consent should be 18+ too. And renting a damn car too! Everything should be legal at 18 except for becoming the President. 35+, the current limit, seems right to me. Most LGBT type people agree with the 18+ rule anyways. I get it — your mind isn’t fully developed until about 24, but, your body is pretty much finished at 18, except the fact many people get wider in their 20s and 30s.
What makes you think you better know when someone can be treated than actual healthcare experts?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don’t think it’s legitimate, nor scientifically accurate to say sex and gender are different.
The reason for giving the information about cosmetic financial profits is just to demonstrate the huge motivation of these corporations to invest in, push and manipulate the gender ideology for ongoing profit. Cosmetics are just one aspect of a far larger business complex.
No one making this absurd claim has given even a shred of evidence, nor have they accounted for the fact there aren't enough trans people for such a thing to actually be a priority.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The fact that the mind isn’t fully developed at age 18 is the biggest reason the tobacco and alcohol age is 21. The military being age 18 is such a foolish thing as well, but that’s how they get their soldiers - it would be harder to manipulate a 21 year old into throwing away their life than an 18 year old.
The vast majority of military positions make them "Rear Echelon Mother ****ers." These positions don't really come with shooting at people and being shot at.
Out of everyone I've known who was in the military only three of them had actual combat position. Everybody else were medics, mechanics, a janitor and a sonar tech and those are the ones I've known. And there are also positions like musicians and chaplains that just don't really see combat.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The vast majority of military positions make them "Rear Echelon Mother ****ers." These positions don't really come with shooting at people and being shot at.
Out of everyone I've known who was in the military only three of them had actual combat position. Everybody else were medics, mechanics, a janitor and a sonar tech and those are the ones I've known. And there are also positions like musicians and chaplains that just don't really see combat.
Only three?

Also, musicians in the military? (Confused smiley)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only three?

Also, musicians in the military? (Confused smiley)
Only three. My uncle who was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam, and a Marine I worked with and my ex's National Guard brother in-law who both sent to the front lines.
And, yup, military musicians are a thing.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It is.

Sex is biological. Gender is a social construct.

"Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. It is primarily associated with physical and physiological features including chromosomes, gene expression, hormone levels and function, and reproductive/sexual anatomy. Sex is usually categorized as female or male but there is variation in the biological attributes that comprise sex and how those attributes are expressed.

Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people. It influences how people perceive themselves and each other, how they act and interact, and the distribution of power and resources in society. Gender identity is not confined to a binary (girl/woman, boy/man) nor is it static; it exists along a continuum and can change over time. There is considerable diversity in how individuals and groups understand, experience and express gender through the roles they take on, the expectations placed on them, relations with others and the complex ways that gender is institutionalized in society."

It doesn't demonstrate that though and you didn't even address my response.

I think folks who want to limit exposure to folks who don't fit the black and white model of sex and gender instinctively know gender is a social construct since they are so concerned about it in the public sphere.

If it's not socially constructed, then why would they need to worry about people being socially exposed to it? If it's biological, then it shouldn't be something to be concerned about, since a biological male would magically repel all feminine pronouns and accoutrements with the sheer force of his testicles.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I think folks who want to limit exposure to folks who don't fit the black and white model of sex and gender instinctively know gender is a social construct since they are so concerned about it in the public sphere.

If it's not socially constructed, then why would they need to worry about people being socially exposed to it? If it's biological, then it shouldn't be something to be concerned about, since a biological male would magically repel all feminine pronouns and accoutrements with the sheer force of his testicles.
Excellent point!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I lived through the 70’s and am well aware of David Bowie. It’s not about makeup or shorts. I just think it goes way beyond selling things and it’s important to be aware of the manipulation( especially of kids) for profit taking place, which is, as the writer points out, deconstructing human beings.

“The cosmetic industry is worth a staggering $532. Billion dollars. Until recently, males wearing cosmetics were limited primarily to the music industry. “Gender identity” changes all that. It builds a bridge for men to accept hair, fashion, and cosmetic enhancements that were traditionally the sole territory of women. The 2021 catwalks were ablaze with a so-called feminine menswear trend, which the fashion industry calls “male femininity.” The men’s personal-care market is expected to hit $166 billion in 2022. Vogue reported two years ago that high fashion houses like Chanel, Tom Ford, and Marc Jacobs were unveiling make-up lines for men.

“Gender identity” also works as a grooming apparatus that dissociates us from our sexed reality. The language and laws being changed, even in our medical institutions, for “gender identity” ideology are based on the deconstruction of sex. The gender performances in gender ideology obscure the corporate mining of our reproductive capacities for profit. We are being reduced to parts—no longer men and women—but breasts, penises, vaginas, wombs, eggs, and sperm that can be bought by either sex, for either sex.

The gender industry has nothing to do with inclusivity. It is about corporate profiteering.”
I love how this bit of nonsense just completely ignores the vast number of trans men and nonbinary there are out there. Those who, like me, a cis woman, don't give a flying flip about cosmetics and live our bliss not engaging in makeup.

And who sensibly don't turn disgust with the beauty industry on cis women or trans women who choose to participate, but on free market capitalism where it belongs.