• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti Science

usfan

Western culture has had a lot of ups & downs over the last couple of centuries, but the anchor for it was the concept of an orderly world:

1. Consistency in natural law
2. Use of the scientific method
3. The logical pursuit of truth
4. Peer review, critical thinking, & skepticism were a balance to 'science by decree'.

These concepts reached their heyday in post ww2 America. Engineers & scientific researchers leapfrogged advancement after advancement, dazzling everyone with their ability to harness natural law as a tool.

But to some, these things were not seen as harnessing the laws of physics, but a creative & almost godlike power. A mystique built up around the fields of engineering & science, & it was a magnet to young people when they pursued a career. The fields of technology were major draws in the middle of the last century in America. Breakthroughs in medicine, manufacturing, computers, & just about every part of human life has been positively affected by these technological advances, & families encouraged their children to be part of that growth & advancement of humanity.

The technological advances brought unprecedented prosperity & luxurious conditions for even the poorest in the nation. And as often has happened throughout history, with prosperity comes complacency & growing lethargy. Hard work loses its appeal, & easy living seems to be the preferred route. Why work hard if you don't have to? The Entitlement culture was born.

And, as the culture has declined, so has the magnet for technology. Fewer & fewer American youth desire a career in science or engineering. Non productive elements of society have taken center stage. Sports, entertainment, celebrity worship, money shuffling.. these things are valued & esteemed over the mundane & difficult scientific disciplines.

Now, we are in a time of Anti Science. Social issues & cultural manipulation is taking place, of course, claiming truth or science as a basis. But instead of open scrutiny, mandates. Instead of the scientific method, decree. Instead of logic & critical thinking, truth is declared & propaganda has become the method of 'instruction'.. Truth becomes what the establishment says, rather than something based on reason or facts. Critical thinking is not encouraged, just memorized dogma. History is not taught as dispassionate facts, but to mold a belief. Conclusions are presupposed, & memorized, instead of arrived at by research & thinking. THIS is the greatest failure of American education, which once was a beacon of classic liberal thought.. Now, it is just another state propaganda tool.

Thoughts or rebuttals?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Overall, I agree.

So the best thing to do is leave the science to the scientists and keep the politicians out of it.

We should let the teaching of science be determined by the consensus of the scientific community and not be based on what politicians approve of to win favor with their constituents.

Let's see what the actual scientists say and base our policies on that information instead of politicizing the science by denying the results when we disagree with them and promoting them when we do.

And we can look to the main scientific organizations to give the sense of their membership on important topics. But we may also have to hear that there is no known answer to questions we deeply want to know the answer to.

leov

Western culture has had a lot of ups & downs over the last couple of centuries, but the anchor for it was the concept of an orderly world:

1. Consistency in natural law
2. Use of the scientific method
3. The logical pursuit of truth
4. Peer review, critical thinking, & skepticism were a balance to 'science by decree'.

These concepts reached their heyday in post ww2 America. Engineers & scientific researchers leapfrogged advancement after advancement, dazzling everyone with their ability to harness natural law as a tool.

But to some, these things were not seen as harnessing the laws of physics, but a creative & almost godlike power. A mystique built up around the fields of engineering & science, & it was a magnet to young people when they pursued a career. The fields of technology were major draws in the middle of the last century in America. Breakthroughs in medicine, manufacturing, computers, & just about every part of human life has been positively affected by these technological advances, & families encouraged their children to be part of that growth & advancement of humanity.

The technological advances brought unprecedented prosperity & luxurious conditions for even the poorest in the nation. And as often has happened throughout history, with prosperity comes complacency & growing lethargy. Hard work loses its appeal, & easy living seems to be the preferred route. Why work hard if you don't have to? The Entitlement culture was born.

And, as the culture has declined, so has the magnet for technology. Fewer & fewer American youth desire a career in science or engineering. Non productive elements of society have taken center stage. Sports, entertainment, celebrity worship, money shuffling.. these things are valued & esteemed over the mundane & difficult scientific disciplines.

Now, we are in a time of Anti Science. Social issues & cultural manipulation is taking place, of course, claiming truth or science as a basis. But instead of open scrutiny, mandates. Instead of the scientific method, decree. Instead of logic & critical thinking, truth is declared & propaganda has become the method of 'instruction'.. Truth becomes what the establishment says, rather than something based on reason or facts. Critical thinking is not encouraged, just memorized dogma. History is not taught as dispassionate facts, but to mold a belief. Conclusions are presupposed, & memorized, instead of arrived at by research & thinking. THIS is the greatest failure of American education, which once was a beacon of classic liberal thought.. Now, it is just another state propaganda tool.

Thoughts or rebuttals?
Science is immature.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tell us..for who?
For all.
Some shortsighted wags would give it a bad name.
They say it foments greed, sloth, & corruption. Pbbt!
Without money, commerce would grind to a crawl out
of inconvenience, but all of mankind's flaws would
continue on unabated. Money...it's good for us.

Last edited:

Workman

UNIQUE
For all.
Some shortsighted wags would give it a bad name.
But without money, commerce would grind to a crawl
out of inconvenience, but all of mankind's flaws would
continue on unabated. Money...it's good for us.
Ok!..it is said. No argument there..after all it was your thought that counted for me..Thanks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Good mind set!
But it’s a shame..anyone is not the same as everyone..
Those whom live in poverty..the poor!
Can science help them for free?(without paying money for it)

Look up Norman Borlaug

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nice thought!..but think again.
You can take what I don’t have..I do labor work..have always been, There is no need of it..I love the Hard work.
It keeps me busy.

And allows you to buy the technology to enable you to post on RF