• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Racism, Privilege and Non-Racism

David1967

Premium Member
Oh? I couldda sworn that the White Saviour Industrial
Complex is made up entirely of upper class white folks
who are way too wonderful to have anything of a
racial thought at all toward the little brown, and
black people.

This

Audie

Veteran Member
I wonder if there is anyone here who would
like to stand before conscience-self awareness-
RFers and God, and say "I am not racist."

David1967

Premium Member

That's a good question and I think it would depend on how the person is defining the term "racist". Are they referring to the KKK or Black Panther hateful type, or one who thinks that certain races tend to excel at certain things?

Audie

Veteran Member
That's a good question and I think it would depend on how the person is defining the term "racist". Are they referring to the KKK or Black Panther hateful type, or one who thinks that certain races tend to excel at certain things?

"Racist" is the pefect all purpose perjorative.
Nobody is safe nobody can defend against it,
nobody knows what it means.

Since I brought it up, I will volunteer to
go first.

Grand Inquisitor-
"Audie, are you a racist?"

Audie-
"Yes".

sealchan

Yeah, that idea was out within the first minute. Made me so mad I stopped watching. She claimed that she had a platform because she was 'white' and nobody else had such a platform?

Balderdash. She has a platform...not because she is 'white,' but because she is apologizing for BEING 'white.' As if one is responsible for one's own melanin quotient. She's got a platform because her opinions tickle the ears of her listeners...and frankly? Those listeners are as racist as any good ol' southerner looking to lynch the 'N****" Only the target changed.

But the thing is, SHE is being racist herself; very racist. SHE is claiming special privilege because of her skin color; trust me, only those who feel superior to others apologize for that which makes them 'superior.' As in...she is 'voluntarily giving up' her special status. Because she's 'White' and can do that. She's using her daughter's death to manipulate the listeners, so that they will say 'look how special this woman is, giving up her "white privilege" so she can come down and be just like the rest of us."

Very condescending in the worst meaning of the word.

The whole thing makes me cringe.

................and I'll bet you anything you like that this woman would be very much against one of her kids marrying someone who isn't from her background, skin color or political opinions.

I think you may be mistaking opportunites for empathy as attempts at manipulation. I think that you are projecting onto the speaker that she was apologizing for anything. She isn't apologizing, she is just identifying a relevant context for understanding why her daughter is dead.

As many people seem to like to do, you seem to want to ignore the long, historical context of how race has been a means to differentiate individuals by identity and to empower those who are white over those who are not. To ignore this enormously relevant context is, in my view, a sort of willful ignorance commonly used as a defense mechanism against empathy for someone deeply embedded in naive white culture.

sealchan

"Racist" is the pefect all purpose perjorative.
Nobody is safe nobody can defend against it,
nobody knows what it means.

Since I brought it up, I will volunteer to
go first.

Grand Inquisitor-
"Audie, are you a racist?"

Audie-
"Yes".

I think bias is going to be the new term that we hear in favor of racism as it doesn't work so well for sexual orientation or religious bigotry. It is making the rounds in corporate trainings now.

Whataboutism is just as tired a defense of course.

sealchan

Whether one is a member of a culture or a religion or a gardening club, if your group acts to systemically and from a human moral perspective disenfranchise people from another group and you, as an individual, become aware of that systemic or individually deliberate effort then you become morally responsible for that injustice. You, as a member of that group or culture, are responsible for taking some action in an effort to correct that imbalance. You do not have to sacrifice your life, or even sacrifice your reputation...if you can just act personally to correct the issue within your own sphere of influence AND become more educated regarding the issue, then you will have already done a decent amount of work.

The golden rule will prevail as a stronger and stronger influence the more you understand what the "other" is experiencing and how you are truly "empowered" to do something about it even if it is not public or risky.

sealchan

Think about that one for a minute.

Of course there are light complected people who are racist. However, that isn't because they have light complexions....OR that they are 'right wing."

In fact, in my experience, the most racist white folks are the liberal left who condescend to 'people of color."

They pretend to be 'for' minorities even as they do their level best to separate them from one another, and from themselves. (shrug)

I don't know where this whole line of thinking comes from but it isn't a liberal line of thinking.

The fact that you even cast this whole discussion as a "condescension" is telling.

If you accidentally step on someone's toes, is it a condescension to admit it? When you realize your naivete do you not feel humility?

sealchan

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I endeavor to adjust my recipe for the liberal Kool-Aid I apparently like to drink as I get more responses from you-all.

Have a kind weekend!

dianaiad

I can.

And I can prove it. I will get just as insulting to a 'person of color' as I will a 'white' person.
As well, while I am certainly melanin challenged, my husband certainly wasn't, and neither are my kids, and trust me on this; I don't attribute any possible flaws in their character to their skin color.

I won't give a 'person of color' any breaks I wouldn't give a 'white' person, in work or anywhere else...or vice versa. To me, skin color only matters when purchasing cosmetics and hair care products.

In fact, I'm kinda confused as to what 'white' actually MEANS, to 'people of color,' and I'm not sure what that means, either, if one looks at the matter from 'outside.' I'll have to ask the next red-headed blue eyed Jew I meet how s/he feels about being a 'person of color."

The problem is that the 'human race' is probably the most homogeneous species on the planet, thanks to that long ago 'bottle neck' that winnowed humans down to a small group from which we have all descended. Every other species, from chimpanzees to whales, have more variation in DNA among themselves than we humans have from one another.

The whole thing is asinine.

Audie

Veteran Member
Whether one is a member of a culture or a religion or a gardening club, if your group acts to systemically and from a human moral perspective disenfranchise people from another group and you, as an individual, become aware of that systemic or individually deliberate effort then you become morally responsible for that injustice. You, as a member of that group or culture, are responsible for taking some action in an effort to correct that imbalance. You do not have to sacrifice your life, or even sacrifice your reputation...if you can just act personally to correct the issue within your own sphere of influence AND become more educated regarding the issue, then you will have already done a decent amount of work.

The golden rule will prevail as a stronger and stronger influence the more you understand what the "other" is experiencing and how you are truly "empowered" to do something about it even if it is not public or risky.

If golden rule is it, then at least, in intent,
I am no way a racist.

Audie

Veteran Member
You got that right as You, Columbus and myself encountered in another discussion.

Ok, In what way?

Start with that I think Han Chinese
are special.

Now, if I heard that the new hire
on the physics faculty was am Australian
aborinonie, or Yananmo Indian, I
would be astonished.

Would you? Is that racist?

dianaiad

I think you may be mistaking opportunites for empathy as attempts at manipulation. I think that you are projecting onto the speaker that she was apologizing for anything. She isn't apologizing, she is just identifying a relevant context for understanding why her daughter is dead.

As many people seem to like to do, you seem to want to ignore the long, historical context of how race has been a means to differentiate individuals by identity and to empower those who are white over those who are not. To ignore this enormously relevant context is, in my view, a sort of willful ignorance commonly used as a defense mechanism against empathy for someone deeply embedded in naive white culture.

'deeply embedded?"

Hardly.

I'm 'deeply embedded" in a 'culture' that honestly doesn't see that skin color means anything. I acknowledge that to many, it DOES mean something. This woman is one of those who thinks it does, and I do, actually, believe that she is racist.

If she weren't, she would not be talking about the RACE of the shooter or the victims, but the mindset and motivations. She wouldn't be bragging about how she is using her 'special' status of being 'white' to promote her agenda.

That others are racist is obvious. The insidious thing is that those who are most screaming ABOUT racism are continuing that racism themselves, by so doing. Don't talk about 'people of color." Talk about 'gangs,' or 'cultures.." because it's the group one identifies with that makes the 'person' who s/he is when others look.

(shrug)

MY culture is...my religion, the town I live in, the people I'm comfortable 'hanging' with. Those would be...quilters, knitters, people who do community theater, paint and go to museums, deal with specific issues that most other people don't have to deal with....and those cultures all have different memberships. None of these 'cultures' have skin color as a qualification to join.

If I go back far enough in my genealogy, I'm descended from Eric the Red...and later, from a Mayflower couple and John Adams. Oh, and I'm descended from a great many famous people's relatives; except for Adams and Eric, I don't ever seem to hit the mark. I'm descended, for instance, from William the Conqueror's ******* cousin, and a few other 'wrong side of the blanket' folks. Lots of fooling around in my family tree.

That makes me pretty darned 'white,' I suppose, but so what? Doesn't make me smarter, richer, more moral, or 'special.' I do not need to handicap myself in order to allow a 'person of color' to be equal to me. Doing so is an incredible insult, I firmly believe. Brains, ability and morality have nothing to do with melanin content. They do not need me to 'hold back' in order for them to keep up, and I wouldn't put up with any situation in which I WERE given different treatment because of my skin color.

Unless someone is offering free sunscreen samples.

And this woman? She claims that she IS better/more 'special than people of color, simply by referring to her 'white privilege platform' , and she's actually bragging about it. Had she simply stated her case, rather than letting everybody know that she was deliberately stepping in less exalted company....well, I don't actually know whether I would have listened. I couldn't get past the bragging apology.

Shad

Veteran Member
A school teacher who lost a daughter in a racist attack explains in plain and kind language what is wrong in white culture today:

Heather Heyer's mom explains her privilege to Ocasio-Cortez - CNN Video

Any and all sincere comments and discussion welcome.

Loads of babble with a few facts to cover for the ideological rhetoric.

She was given a platform because she is the mother of a person killed in a national if not global news story not because she is white. It was the whole event around the death that made the news not the death itself. Hence why a lot of normal people have no so-called voice as other murders are often mundane in comparison. She could easily of given her seat up but didn't. She is advocating speech control and invasion of privacy. She is a useful idiot, nothing more.

Last edited: