• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Christmas Thread

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Take lying to Children about Santa. Is it really ok to tell your kids that on the night of December 24th a professional burglar is going to break into their house, probably using a chimney, and as an alcoholic gets so drunk from muld wine that you leave him on the mantle piece that he will leave you presents made by slave labourers in the Arctic and then continue his annual round the world crime spree on a sleigh pulled by a psychedelic reindeer with a glowing red nose to warn air traffic control they are approaching?

I'd love for you to come and tell this story to my youngest. She's used to me doing stuff like this...although to be fair, my tongue is firmly in my cheek when I do it. Anyways, she'd find it amusing. I sang her 'Rudolph the red-nosed wino' the other year, which she thought was hilarious. Then she made me sing the 'proper' version twice to make up for my transgression.

Take a moment and just think. Is this "Christmas" how we really want to spend our December 25th? Seriously?

I like Christmas. People can make of it as they will, but I like it. One of my daughters has decided unicorns aren't real, but still believes in elves. She'll figure it out. I have faith in her. Imagine...an atheist with faith!!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
As opposed to Goldilocks, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood ...

What I find absurd is adults railing against it.

My daughter writes stories about some sort of confectionary based main character who can do magic. I'm assuming it's equal parts advertising, sugar-high and made up. Far from suppressing this, I take her to the local cafe and we have writing time...I work on my made up story, and she works on hers. It's nice.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
On the lighter side -

“Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall. We traditionally do this in my family by driving around the parking lot until we see a shopper emerge from the mall, then we follow her, in very much the same spirit as the Three Wise Men, who 2,000 years ago followed a star, week after week, until it led them to a parking space.”

~ Dave Berry

Read more:

99 Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Laughing Until The New Year

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It DOES seem a pity people need a special day/season 2 think kindly toward one another but it's better than nothing I suppose ...
That's another reason I don't like Christmas. Why do we need a "day of family?" If we are happy with our family and love our family, should every day not be a celebration?
It's sort of like my last relationship. We didn't celebrate Valentines day because the restaurants were packed, the prices of flowers and candy shoot up through the roof, and everyday we celebrated the love we had.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's another reason I don't like Christmas. Why do we need a "day of family?" If we are happy with our family and love our family, should every day not be a celebration?
Because by having a legal holiday, we take the time off work and plan get-to-gethers at the same time.
Tom

GoodbyeDave

Because by having a legal holiday, we take the time off work and plan get-to-gethers at the same time.
Tom
In civilised countries we have this thing called mandatory paid annual leave in addition to public holidays — four weeks in the UK. Of course USians wouldn't want such a commie idea, and are no doubt satisfied with the legal holidays.

As far as Christmas goes, I shan't be celebrating, for obvious reasons. I shall have a feast for Heliogenna, though.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the worst thing that seems to have come from Christmas are these:
411385945_707.JPG
41159643.jpg
barbie-ornaments.jpeg
24Pcs-Lot-New-font-b-Pokemon-b-font-Toys-2-3cm-Mini-Cartoon-PVC-Action-Kids.jpg
32664802.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tom
But you don't need those things to celebrate family and love. The get togethers and time off is nice, but something that is treasured shouldn't need a special day to be treasured.

...I kind of see the point as a secular holiday even if it is about the earth making one full journey round the sun...

Take a moment and just think. Is this "Christmas" how we really want to spend our December 25th? Seriously?

Seriously, at some point I felt you have had too much LSD, because of your weird ideas about Christmas, but anyway, maybe it would be good get rid of all holidays and joy, because it is bad for the economy, if people are not working all the time and also because there is no reason for joy, because people seem to be utterly evil without a hint of truthfulness and righteousness. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Seriously, at some point I felt you have had too much LSD, because of your weird ideas about Christmas, but anyway, maybe it would be good get rid of all holidays and joy, because it is bad for the economy, if people are not working all the time and also because there is no reason for joy, because people seem to be utterly evil without a hint of truthfulness and righteousness. :)
Christmas is really good for the economy, as measured by the GDP.
People go out and spend tons of money, often money they don't actually have.
Tom