• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Christmas Thread

David1967

Premium Member
Where did the notion ever arise that Xmas is a religious holiday?
It's about fearing & enduring unmet gift expectations & reciprocations.
And then, there are the obligatory & hated family gatherings.
But if we're lucky, there will be turkey.....& bacon.

We do love the bacon don't we. Also on New year's day our family tradition is to eat hog jowl. Thats really thick bacon. .....I can hardly wait!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We do love the bacon don't we. Also on New year's day our family tradition is to eat hog jowl. Thats really thick bacon. .....I can hardly wait!
That is indeed yummy...better than pork belly.

On occasion I must endure low quality ham....the kind which has a rubbery tasteless quality.
Too cheap to buy the fancy Spanishistanian hams, I go with Smithfield.....dry, salty, strong & cost effective.

David1967

Premium Member
That is indeed yummy...better than pork belly.

On occasion I must endure low quality ham....the kind which has a rubbery tasteless quality.
Too cheap to buy the fancy Spanishistanian hams, I go with Smithfield.....dry, salty, strong & cost effective.

"Dry, salty, strong, cost effective. " All the best things in life.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't know what you're talking about. Your description of Christmas has almost no resemblance to the traditions of my family.

What I'm gettng at is doesn't celebrating Christmas:

i) even though you may not believe in Christ or Christianity
ii) and that the "celebrations" have little to do with Christianity even if you did

...strike you as a fairly irrational act of conformity built on generations of reinvented myths?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What I'm gettng at is doesn't celebrating Christmas:

i) even though you may not believe in Christ or Christianity
ii) and that the "celebrations" have little to do with Christianity even if you did

...strike you as a fairly irrational act of conformity built on generations of reinvented myths?

Not even a little. There is nothing "irrational" about spending time with family and engaging in family traditions on a particular day of the year. Gods forbid we value our families and behave as the social animals we are.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I don't know what you're talking about. Your description of Christmas has almost no resemblance to the traditions of my family.
Perhaps, but his description is pretty accurate regarding a large number of folks who partake in the festivities.

Myths are what we do as humans though and reinvented myths are a particular speciality of ours.

Everyone likes a good myth, especially the people who hate them. It usually takes a fantastical myth to explain why myths are bad :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps, but his description is pretty accurate regarding a large number of folks who partake in the festivities.

Is it? Last time I checked, Christians did not regard their savior as a "zombie" and parents didn't teach their kids that Santa is a "professional burglar." But if we've got a proper peer-reviewed published study saying that "a large number" (not sure what that is, statistically) of folks have these perspectives, I'll freely stand corrected. :shrug: