• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answers In Genesis on Facebook

Dubio

I have been on the Answers In Genesis facebook page for a couple of months. They post articles and arguments that their numerous followers eat up. They think evolution is ridiculous, athiestic and part of a plan to undermine the bible. A few people go to that page to try to convince them evolution is true but to no avail partly because the articles posted on the facebook page is very convincing to them.

I hope some you guys will share your knowledge of evolution on their facebook page because my scientific abilities are limited.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My long experience on this that goes back over 50 years is that so many frankly just aren't interested in knowing what the science has long concluded because they accept a scriptural interpretation that they were told was essential to a "true faith".

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that taught the lie that defies even common sense, namely that we and other life forms have not evolved, but at least some of us don't blindly accept what we're been told. The evidence is absolutely overwhelming for the basic ToE, but, as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

If a person is unwilling to study and try to be objective, there's little that can be done to persuade them-- at least in my experience.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been on the Answers In Genesis facebook page for a couple of months. They post articles and arguments that their numerous followers eat up. They think evolution is ridiculous, athiestic and part of a plan to undermine the bible. A few people go to that page to try to convince them evolution is true but to no avail partly because the articles posted on the facebook page is very convincing to them.

I hope some you guys will share your knowledge of evolution on their facebook page because my scientific abilities are limited.

Lengthy arguing with strangers on Facebook? Come on... we don't want to do that and actually give them evidence that humans never evolved past primal ape instincts. :p

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Answers in Genesis operates under the following framework (from their Statement of Faith)....

"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."​

So they make it clear right up front that to them, it is impossible for there to be any evidence that contradicts their beliefs. Thus it is a complete waste of time to try and show them evidence that contradicts their beliefs. As with most of the creationists here at RF, they will just make up excuses to wave away whatever you present, or they will simply ignore you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You can't force folks into questioning the truth of their own beliefs. No amount of arguing, no amount of evidence. The Facebook page was probably created as a safe space where they can sit in an echo chamber to hear their own beliefs echo'd back at them. Nobody's going there to question their beliefs.

Dubio

Yeah. All of you are right. It just seems to be a shame that people deny reality to maintain their faith. There must be a way to have both, faith in a supreme being and acceptance of empirical truth.

It's sad to see people call "evolutionists" gullible, etc.

omega2xx

Then how do you know what the say is is not right?

omega2xx

Yeah. All of you are right. It just seems to be a shame that people deny reality to maintain their faith. There must be a way to have both, faith in a supreme being and acceptance of empirical truth.

It's sad to see people call "evolutionists" gullible, etc.

Why ?

omega2xx

Answers in Genesis operates under the following framework (from their Statement of Faith)....

"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."​

So they make it clear right up front that to them, it is impossible for there to be any evidence that contradicts their beliefs. Thus it is a complete waste of time to try and show them evidence that contradicts their beliefs. As with most of the creationists here at RF, they will just make up excuses to wave away whatever you present, or they will simply ignore you.

I don't. I ask all the evo to cut and paste the evidence from their links and not one, not one single one has done so. That tells me they would if they could but the can't. I can't wave away what you don't present.

Maybe you would like to be the first to show I am wrong.

As I gaze into my crystal ball I see a message: He won't. He would if he could, but he can't.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I don't. I ask all the evo to cut and paste the evidence from their links and not one, not one single one has done so. That tells me they would if they could but the can't. I can't wave away what you don't present.

Maybe you would like to be the first to show I am wrong.

As I gaze into my crystal ball I see a message: He won't. He would if he could, but he can't.
The fact that your approach is "I will only consider evidence that is presented under this very specific set of circumstances" clearly shows that you're not asking in good faith. And it's why no one here takes you at all seriously.

omega2xx

The fact that your approach is "I will only consider evidence that is presented under this very specific set of circumstances" clearly shows that you're not asking in good faith. And it's why no one here takes you at all seriously.

Not true. The specific circumstance I have made is that someone cut and paste the evidence from any site they choose. I will evaluate it and accept it or show you why it is not evidence. One stipulation is that it can't just say something is true, they must show how or why it is true, scientifically of course.

My crystals ball says you will not do it. It has a foot note---they would if they could but they can't.

omega2xx

My long experience on this that goes back over 50 years is that so many frankly just aren't interested in knowing what the science has long concluded because they accept a scriptural interpretation that they were told was essential to a "true faith".

Get your facts straight. Science has not confirmed evolution. Real science rejects it. I reject evolution on science, not on Scripture. You folks like to think our reason is only Scripture, that that is to avoid sticking to real science.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that taught the lie that defies even common sense, namely that we and other life forms have not evolved,

The provide the evidence that show they were wrong.

but at least some of us don't blindly accept what we're been told.

That is exactly what you do.

The evidence is absolutely overwhelming for the basic ToE, but, as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

Unless your are willing to post the evidence, your words a meaningless opinions.

If a person is unwilling to study and try to be objective, there's little that can be done to persuade them-- at least in my experience.

There are scientist far more qualified than you are who reject evolution.

For several months now I have challenged you evos to cut and past the evidence from any link you choose. The FACT that no o0ne has done so speaks volumes with just 8 words---they would if they could, but hey can't.

omega2xx

Why are you incapable of reading the material on your own?

I read their links for many years. Not one ever had any scientific evidence.

Why are you unwilling to do such a simple thing and show everyone I am wrong? Until you do, it shows everyone I am right.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I read their links for many years. Not one ever had any scientific evidence.

Why are you unwilling to do such a simple thing and show everyone I am wrong? Until you do, it shows everyone I am right.
Ok then, let's see how this goes.

First, we need to make sure we're on the same page as to what we mean by "evidence". For starters, do you agree that a paper that includes a description of a population evolving a new trait or ability in real time would be "evidence of evolution"?

omega2xx

Ok then, let's see how this goes.

First, we need to make sure we're on the same page as to what we mean by "evidence". For starters, do you agree that a paper that includes a description of a population evolving a new trait or ability in real time would be "evidence of evolution"?

Of course not. That is an opinion. They must show the scientific process that explains HOW it happened. HOW did a dogs leg, become the fins of a whale.

If you really want to continue this, go to a web site that preaches evolution and cut and paste what they present as evidence. I think you are intelligent enough to evaluate what they say.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Of course not. That is an opinion.
I'm not sure you understand. I'm talking about scientists watching a population evolve in real time, and then writing up a description of what they observed. Would you consider that to be evidence of evolution?

They must show the scientific process that explains HOW it happened.
Sure, they would describe the ways in which the population evolved.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

In many cases (and specifically in this case), I 100% agree. These people have invested a lot into their world view, and hence there will be a high level of cognitive dissonance required to drive change.
Trying to convince them they are wrong on Facebook is pretty much a waste of time. Trying to convince them they are wrong on Facebook specifically on a site which is reinforcing and rewarding their views is basically the very definition of futile.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Of course not. That is an opinion. They must show the scientific process that explains HOW it happened.
We know how it happened - mutations and natural selection.

HOW did a dogs leg, become the fins of a whale.
It didn't. Whales didn't evolve from dogs.

If you really want to continue this, go to a web site that preaches evolution and cut and paste what they present as evidence. I think you are intelligent enough to evaluate what they say.
This is a very odd request. Here are my personal favourite links:

Observed Instances of Speciation
Some More Observed Speciation Events
Human Evolution Evidence | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program
Lines of evidence: The science of evolution