• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

answers about morality?

joe1776

Can you please define intuition in your pov? because I suspect we see intuition as different things.
Intuition to me is making a decision based on lacking information that is mostly based on "gut feeling" and not knowledge.
I'm talking specifically about MORAL intuition, and not gut feelings which one might have about any kind decision.

Moral intuition gives us immediate feelings about fairness and wrongness. When we thoughtlessly insult someone and immediately feel guilt, that's an example.

The soldier, trained to follow orders, is ordered to kill an innocent civilian. He immediately feels the wrongness of the order, and a struggle with his conscience ensues.

Harry and Sally are competing head to head in a spelling bee. Their teacher deliberately gives Harry much tougher words to spell. You immediately feel the unfairness in the way Harry is being treated. You didn't reason your way to the conclusion that it was unfair. You knew it immediately.

Moral outrage, guilt, remorse
are a few of the words we use to describe intuitive moral feelings.

Segev Moran

I'm talking specifically about MORAL intuition, and not gut feelings which one might have about any kind decision.

Moral intuition gives us immediate feelings about fairness and wrongness. When we thoughtlessly insult someone and immediately feel guilt, that's an example.

The soldier, trained to follow orders, is ordered to kill an innocent civilian. He immediately feels the wrongness of the order, and a struggle with his conscience ensues.

Harry and Sally are competing head to head in a spelling bee. Their teacher deliberately gives Harry much tougher words to spell. You immediately feel the unfairness in the way Harry is being treated. You didn't reason your way to the conclusion that it was unfair. You knew it immediately.

Moral outrage, guilt, remorse
are a few of the words we use to describe intuitive moral feelings.
I understand better your pov now, still, many times we discover our first intuition is wrong.

As what you suggest with the soldier for example, it is really unfortunate that many soldiers do not share the same intuition as you have. suicide bombers, terrorists, and sometimes "regular" soldiers, are committing monstrosities without having a shred of "wrong feeling".

it seems that you turn a blind eye towards many things that happen in our world.

The human, will usually feel wrong about what he was taught to feel wrong about.

It is true, however, that at times, one might intuitively feel wrong about something, but it will usually be something that inflicts damage (psychological or physical) to one self.