• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answer to Your Questions

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Esparanto?

Could be, It had the movement in the early 1990's but the time was not right I suppose. Abdul'baha gave a talk at one of their meetings and encouraged them to continue. On the other hand he also said it will take a joint effort as no single person an develop a universal language.

I do wish that it had been in place, so we could travel the world and talk to each other without and misunderstandings from the language barrier.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suspected this may be the response to such a post, that is many will not ask the questions, as It scares a lot of people that the answers to the world's problems have been given. Why are they scared? Well here is a thought to consider.

They are scared, because it will mean change and change is the hardest thing to consider, when is needed with one's own self and we all need to change.

We have created a garbage dump world full of predudices and greed. We are destroying the planet and and its innocent creatures with our wilful neglect and yet we are too proud to implement the required change and change IS needed.

If we are not part of change, we are part of the problem.

Regards Tony

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
English is a default at this time, but it is too hard to master and does not suit the requirement of an international language.
Thank you for the OP. I think it's good you placed it in "Discussion" and not in debate.

Once I asked Sai Baba if I should learn Sanskrit. He told me "there is only 1 language, the language of the heart". Remembering Babel, this reply makes sense. Love should be our base language, and on top of that the 1 language for all, you mentioned, does make sense to me.

I was happy to hear, that I did not have to learn Sanskriet as a new language though. Language of the heart can be tricky, but starting to learn Sanskrit would have been a really tough challenge for me.

My first thought was, that it's good and helpful to have 1 language for all. That gives a 1 big family feeling, when arriving in a new country. Although I'm not sure about that, suddenly remembering,
that nowadays people are fighting, even within 1 small family already. So, it seems that "language of the Heart" is very much needed nowadays.

I am curious, if it will happen, a new world language, and which one it's going to be.

stvdv

English is a default at this time, but it is too hard to master and does not suit the requirement of an international language.
Hi Tony,

I studied a few languages at school when young. Dutch, English, German and French.

I was more into science than language, so I had to work hard learning these 4 languages. French was most difficult for me, next German. I am Dutch, so that one was easier (close to German), and English was easiest for me. But Sanskrit was more difficult than all 4 together. And Chinese would be impossible for me, I think.

Is there already a language more easy than English, for all? And nowadays I think, all over the world English is kind of accepted. In India it seemed to be (1.34 billion people). China I don't know, so I googled and it seemed they also accepted English.
The importance of English language in China. Languages are a fascinating subject, particularly when it concerns the amount of speakers. Currently, the English language is the second most spoken language in the world next to Mandarin with over 1 billion speakers, both natively and as another learned language
The importance of English language in China., Study in China

I would vote for English any day, please God, not Mandarine

Would be practical also, to choose English IMO, as so many already speak it, and so many learning books in English. Starting all over with a new language seems quite a waste of time, energy and resources to me.

Did Bahaullah indicate or say, that English would not be good enough? Or did he say it would be best to start from scratch, and have all countries involved.

Even when starting a family, I think it's good to start fresh, not moving in with another (though it might seem convenient, I think the building together is good for a lasting relationship).

stvdv

Baha'u'llah does not offer that Good is separated from God, as God = Good/Heaven and Evil = Self/Material attachment.
I remember in this context the verse below:

Matthew 22:36-40 King James Version (KJV)
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
The red part tells me, that you need not believe in God even ... "All you need is Love". So God gave 2 ways, 1 for the Atheist + 1 for the Theist, it seems to me.

Did Baha'u'llah say the same?

dfnj

We have created a garbage dump world full of predudices and greed.

I think the World is great exactly the way it is! The Internet is awesome! People are fun to hang out with. Fantasy football is amazing. And fishing is fun.

I think we choose how we experience the World. At any one time, there will always be evidence to support any kind subjective judgment. You may see prejudice, greed, and garbage all around you. I see appreciation of diversity, generosity, and beautiful works of art. I think it's a matter of perspective and a lens of perception.

stvdv

Thank you, I will explain further. The thread is open to all, it is Interfaith or no Faith discussion. All can ask a question they have an issue with, or just want an answer for them to consider.

I have offered that my answers will come from the wisdom quoted in Scriptures and/or the Baha'i Writings. Others can and will offer a solution to consider from their POV, or path in life.

It is then for us to decide how universal the answers are, no matter the source offered. In that way, if we wish to see the OP as educational, then we can.

Regards Tony
Aha, so all can ask a question AND all can answer that question. Great idea, that's really interfaith. And saves you some time:D.

So, it's okay, if I ask a question with the specification "I like to hear an Atheist's view on this". Not to debate, but just because I am interested to know?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh. Meant to say I like your avatar quote.
I don't, because I am an atheist. ;)
.. While simultaneously maintaining and fostering Diversity and Multiculturalism?
That would be difficult for Bahais. Because for them, there is only one Allah and an Iranian preacher Bahaollah is his latest manifestation, correcting all that has gone wrong in all major religions of the world - Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.
I see this is one gift given in the holy writings, that discussion on God's Word is not to cause division, it is meant to spark an understanding of Truth.
Writings are writings and nothing more. What do you mean by 'holy writings'? There is no God and therefore, no 'God's word'. How can starting from a prejudice lead you to truth? You have to start with a clean slate.

Last edited:

stvdv

Something I've wondered about: why do you and many other online Baha'is proselytize probably harder than any other group I've seen, considering that the Baha'i faith is supposedly a non-proselytizing religion?

How do you reconcile what you're doing - this thread included - with the tenets of your faith?
I got the impression from Tony, that he meant to give all the chance to ask and all the chance to answer, so that one can pick the answer best suitable for themselves.

That would kind of take proselytizing out of the picture IMO.

In a way all participants create in this way, what the thread is going to become. Like I asked Tony "So I am free in this thread to specify which kind of (non) Religion I would like to get a reply from" in my reply
Answer to Your Questions

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't, because I am an atheist. ;)That would be difficult for Bahais. Because for them, there is only one Allah and an Iranian preacher Bahaollah is his latest manifestation, correcting all that has gone wrong in all major religions of the world - Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.

Need a translation?
I have a book somewhere up here.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In the Baha'i Writings, Baha'u'llah has offered that we need to adopt a Universal Auxiliary Language that will be taught in the schools around the world in all locations,
That was quite a silly and utopian idea. Does Allah wants us all to learn Esperanto? Just like there will not be a universal religion, there will also not be a universal language in this world for its 7.5 billion humans. We are doing quite well with languages. We now have translations (written and spoken) on internet and all kinds of dictionaries which were not available in the time of that Iranian preacher. No language is hard to master if one wants or needs to learn. There are umpteen scholars of various Indian languages outside India including two of our oldest languages, Sanskrit and Tamil.
I am surprised as to why do Bahais need to come up with strange topics all the time?

Last edited:

stvdv

Just like there will not be a universal religion, there will also not be a universal language in this world for its 7.5 billion denizens. We are doing quite well with languages. We now have translations (written and spoken) on internet and all kinds of dictionaries which were not available in the time of that Iranian preacher
Maybe you solved what Baha'u'llah meant by 1 language. I never thought of it this way. We do have the Google Translate Option now, so no need to speak 1 language.

Maybe even, Baha'u'llah had a vision about Google Translate; it improved so much in the last few years, that it works perfect for me now, to understand Swedish or Chinese when Google Translated.

No language is hard to master if one wants or needs to learn
I agree if you include "Google Translate" in the languages to Master:D

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are you a-theist or a-bahaist or a mix of both?
As an a-theist I am a-Bahaist, a-Christian, a-Islam and sometimes a-Hindu also when its superstitions go beyond what I can tolerate. Only that Bahais give me more chances.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Once I asked Sai Baba if I should learn Sanskrit. He told me "there is only 1 language, the language of the heart". Remembering Babel, this reply makes sense. Love should be our base language, and on top of that the 1 language for all, you mentioned, does make sense to me.

I see you have found a very good language, the heart indeed is what the world needs. So well done to all those that use this language. :)

I am curious, if it will happen, a new world language, and which one it's going to be.

I see this is part of your next post, so I will give some more thoughts then. I think if it was going to be Esperanto in its current form, it would have made it by now. But I see it needs international input, no one person may be able to achieve what will be a universal language. I do not see it will be English, but it may be English will be the default for quite some time to come?

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I studied a few languages at school when young. Dutch, English, German and French.

Well done you, I was flat out learning English as my father was in the Air Force and I lived in many places and went to many schools, as such no stable education. On the other hane it gave me an outlook on the world that became all embracing. As a child I saw many religious ceremonies in Malaysia and visited many temples. That is where I came to love the smell of incenses

Is there already a language more easy than English, for all? And nowadays I think, all over the world English is kind of accepted. In India it seemed to be (1.34 billion people). China I don't know, so I googled and it seemed they also accepted English.

They say Esperanto is easy to learn, and it was looking like it would make it, but I see world wars got in the way.

Did Bahaullah indicate or say, that English would not be good enough? Or did he say it would be best to start from scratch, and have all countries involved.

The writings encourage Esperanto, but also say that a universal language will need a joint effort, it is bigger than one person. Our writings offer that the Unity of mankind will have 3 signs, one of those signs will be the adoption of a universal language by the rulers of the world.

Even when starting a family, I think it's good to start fresh, not moving in with another (though it might seem convenient, I think the building together is good for a lasting relationship).

I see that a new language, where many people have had a say, will be the way to go. It will be an exciting day if the world did this as a joint project.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I remember in this context the verse below:

The red part tells me, that you need not believe in God even ... "All you need is Love". So God gave 2 ways, 1 for the Atheist + 1 for the Theist, it seems to me.

Did Baha'u'llah say the same?

To me the Baha'i writings say the connection of the heart with God, is what we are here for, it is what the Bible calls being born again. I also see the goal of many past Faiths was to reach such a level of Love, that this world no longer exists for us, we have moved on into a form that is a part of the light.

Thus I see if we can truly Love, we would find the source of that Love as a result and I see that is a release from this world.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the World is great exactly the way it is! The Internet is awesome! People are fun to hang out with. Fantasy football is amazing. And fishing is fun.

I think we choose how we experience the World. At any one time, there will always be evidence to support any kind subjective judgment. You may see prejudice, greed, and garbage all around you. I see appreciation of diversity, generosity, and beautiful works of art. I think it's a matter of perspective and a lens of perception.

Rose coloured glasses are good, and I can wear those as well to give a rely such as you have, as Yes the world is perfect, but we are not prone to perfection, it takes effort and we have not treated the world as it should be.

I must ask, have you traveled to a 3rd world city and see the garbage that now pollutes the rivers and seas?

Rubbish.jpg

There is no way we can call that Good, or say that is from God.

We have to stand up for what we have done to this world. Regards Tony

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Aha, so all can ask a question AND all can answer that question. Great idea, that's really interfaith. And saves you some time:D.

So, it's okay, if I ask a question with the specification "I like to hear an Atheist's view on this". Not to debate, but just because I am interested to know?

Go for it, it is in that way we get to use our logic and reasoning. :D

Please feel free to discuss any topic with any person, also provide and ask for other answers.

It may be when we discuss a topic and read both views, then a new view is formed by both parties.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That was quite a silly and utopian idea. Does Allah wants us all to learn Esperanto? Just like there will not be a universal religion, there will also not be a universal language in this world for its 7.5 billion denizens. We are doing quite well with languages. We now have translations (written and spoken) on internet and all kinds of dictionaries which were not available in the time of that Iranian preacher. No language is hard to master if one wants or needs to learn. There are umpteen scholars of various Indian languages outside India including two of our oldest languages, Sanskrit and Tamil.
I am surprised as to why do Bahais need to come up with strange topics all the time?

Well lets just discuss the questions and from that we may find answers. ;)

Does Allah wants us all to learn Esperanto?
I see God has never compelled us to do anything. I see what has been offered is a necessity for the future of humanity, that is now interacting on a global scale. We can take the advice and it will help us prosper, or we can forgo the advice and continue as we are, with the many misunderstandings that do result from language, which have also brought us to the brink of nuclear disaster, a couple of times at least.

"At the end of the 19th century, there was a large profusion of constructed languages intended as genuine, spoken language. There were created languages which do not belong to any country and can be learned by everyone. Among these are Esperanto, Ido, and Interlingua. At that time, those ideas were readily accepted. With the advent of World Wars and the Cold War, these successes were buried.

The constructed language movement produced such languages as Latino sine flexione (1903), Ido (1907), Interlingue (1922), and Interlingua (1951)." Universal language - Wikipedia

So the push has not been Baha'i, it is a principal given by Baha'u'llah, that I see the world needs to and will adopt. It will come from outside the Baha'i Faith, as such, why call it a strange topic brought up by Baha'i? It is popular with many people that are not Baha'i and many Baha'i will also embrace it, only when mankind reaches a required level of maturity.

Regards Tony