• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answer to Paradox of Stone

PureX

Veteran Member
Can an omnipotent being create a square circle?

By the definition of "omnipotence", yes. By the definitions of "square" and "circle", no. The problem was never about "God's limitations". It was always about ours.

Can an omnipotent being create a square circle?

By the definition of "omnipotence", yes. By the definitions of "square" and "circle", no. The problem was never about "God's limitations". It was always about ours.

...On this we can fully agree!

-Darryl

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You continue to entirely make up this absurd charge, and I continue to deny it. What have I said that an omnipotent being cannot do that a human can?
Attempt something but fail.

You, again, have confused yourself. My definition does in fact include logical impossibilities; and every time you've said that omnipotence requires the logically absurd, I've agreed as that is my point.
There's nothing "logically absurd" about attempting two mutually exclusive acts. The logical absurdity only arises if both acts were successfully done.

Therefore, the attempt is within the scope of an omnipotence that's limited to the "logical possibile," but the success itself is still impossible.

So can a being that attempts an act but fails be considered omnipotent?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Attempt something but fail.
We aren't even on the same linguistic footing; failure isn't an ability, it is a want of ability. It isn't a thing done, but, a thing not done.

The logical absurdity only arises if both acts were successfully done.
Which means success doesn't fall under the set of things logically possible. If your definition of omnipotence is the set of all things logically possible, then success is not included.

So can a being that attempts an act but fails be considered omnipotent?
It is the definition you've chosen to defend. I happen to say that no, such a being would not be omnipotent that is why omnipotence must include the logically impossible.

I'll also note that in this post you've again demonstrated the inconsistency of your position; you must choose whether failure or its absolute lack is representative of omnipotence. You cannot reasonably attack from both sides.