• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another USSC decision on lifting Covid restrictions

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
By 5-4 Vote, Supreme Court Lifts Restrictions on Prayer Meetings in Homes

I think that hair salons, theaters, gyms, etc., should not get any preferential treatment on the Covid restrictions. But I am no lawyer so I don't know who is right here, legally.

"The majority said California had violated the Constitution by disfavoring prayer meetings. “California treats some comparable secular activities more favorably than at-home religious exercise, permitting hair salons, retail stores, personal care services, movie theaters, private suites at sporting events and concerts and indoor restaurants,” the opinion said."

"In dissent, Justice Elena Kagan, joined by Justices Stephen G. Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor, said the majority had compared in-home prayer meetings with the wrong kinds of activities.

“The First Amendment requires that a state treat religious conduct as well as the state treats comparable secular conduct,” Justice Kagan wrote. “Sometimes finding the right secular analogue may raise hard questions. But not today.

“California limits religious gatherings in homes to three households,” she went on. “If the state also limits all secular gatherings in homes to three households, it has complied with the First Amendment. And the state does exactly that: It has adopted a blanket restriction on at-home gatherings of all kinds, religious and secular alike.”

California need not, she wrote, “treat at-home religious gatherings the same as hardware stores and hair salons.”

Hmm..

It looks like a pretty unified conservative block now, for better or worse (depending on the issue, though on balance not a good thing IMHO).

And since CA is about to open things up again anyway, this decision is probably more important about what it says about the court than the issue at hand.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm all in favour of churches opening; sing out loud, share the wine, shake the pastors hands as you leave.

There will be less religious people in the future because they are all challenging for a Darwin Award

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm all in favour of churches opening; sing out loud, share the wine, shake the pastors hands as you leave.

There will be less religious people in the future because they are all challenging for a Darwin Award
The problem is that they don't infect only other religious people.
I'm also in favour of people being able to go to church. I just don't want them to leave again until tested negative.

Regiomontanus

The problem is that they don't infect only other religious people.
I'm also in favour of people being able to go to church. I just don't want them to leave again until tested negative.

And the people in hair salons and gyms? I did not know they were incapable of spreading the virus :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The infection threat extends beyond churches.
This is cuz the flock interacts with outsiders.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And the people in hair salons and gyms? I did not know they were incapable of spreading the virus :)
Same rights for everyone. One can't block essential services, but anything in excess of that, limited by reasonable hygiene. Masks and distance where applicable, vaccination or negative tests in other cases, either before entering or before leaving.

Regiomontanus

The infection threat extends beyond churches.
This is cuz the flock interacts with outsiders.

I think the actual point is being missed here :)

Should a theater or gym be allowed to be open (at a certain capacity) but not houses of worship? As a libertarian, what you say?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd say if I picked between the two, keep the at-home religious meetings open at a number compacity. I mean, here, you have to make reservations to go to Mass.... so, I'm sure if they wore mask, took temperatures, etc as other places do, and social distancing, maybe both businesses and religious meetings won't be too much of a problem. California, so read, has it one of the worse, so... religious services are very beneficial in a pandemic.

R904a165bf7f1a477ee8964bbfea62455.jpg