• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another shooting fueled by an extreme right wing white supremacist

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Such things tend to not be newsworthy.
But guns are used properly in self defense regularly.

Oh..... yeah......... the other day I saw a strange bloke standing outside my place so I went outside and waved my assault rifle around. He went away quickly. This has happened before!
Guns saved my family again!

Don't know what I'd do without my guns!

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Oh..... yeah......... the other day I saw a strange bloke standing outside my place so I went outside and waved my assault rifle around. He went away quickly. This has happened before!
Guns saved my family again!

Don't know what I'd do without my guns!
RMO0FBP.jpg

this is what "I need my guns for self defence" apologists sound like to me.

Rise

You want to talk logical fallacies? How about I stop you at confirmation bias and cherry picking,

Logical fallacy, argument by assertion.
Merely asserting that I've committed two logic fallacies doesn't make it true.
You need to establish with reasoned argumentation and evidence why your claim is true that you think I committed the logical fallacy of confirmation bias or cherry picking.
If you attempt to give reasons why, I will be able to then demonstrate why your reasons are flawed and thus why I never actually committed a logical fallacy.

Sweden isn't "the rest of the developed world", even if it's gun violence was worse than the US, which it isn't, of course.

Logical fallacy, irrelevant conclusion.
The fact that Sweden is a part of the developed world, but not the entire developed world, is irrelevant to the points I made regardless of whether or not your statement is true. Your statement does not disprove any of the points I already made.

And if you can't deal with the points I raised then the entire premise of your argument falls apart. The incorrect premise of your argument being that restricting access to guns correlates automatically to reduced crime.

As I pointed out, the developed world is replete with examples of why your premise is invalid.

Most obvious of which is the fact that, despite grenades being totally banned in Sweden, their use in crime is skyrocketing in a few short years.

You can't "gun control" your way out of that problem. You can't get any harsher gun control than a total ban on something. Yet why is their use skyrocketing in Sweden?

I'm ignoring nothing. The Swiss have always had strong firearm regulation.

As I already said, and now repeat for your sake: You ignored the fact that the majority of what you would champion as laudible gun control laws only came into existence in Switzerland in 2008, and you aren't aware that prior to 1999 there was very little in the way of gun control in Switzerland.

Yet Switzerland was not a crime ridden cesspool in 1980 when gun control was minimal, nor were there major issues prior to 2008 that suddenly disappeared after the additional 2008 gun control laws.

You therefore have no logical or historical basis for attributing the peace in Switzerland to it's gun control laws. You're committing the most basic of logical fallacy of "Correlation/Causation". Correlation by itself does not prove causation. And other historical context disproves your belief that gun control laws are responsible for the peace in Switzerland.

I never mentioned disarming anyone.

I mentioned "restrictive gun laws" not helping, and I said it in the context of listing several examples in California where they ban access to guns to certain people, certain types, or certain places.

You claimed they help in the "developed world". Which means you were claiming that banning access to guns is helpful. That is disarming people. Even if it's not disarming everyone, or disarming them of everything, or disarming them in every place, it's still disarming them.

The fact is the law abiding citizen was disarmed at that "gun free" festival, when they needed it, while the criminal ignored such bans. 20 year old gun owners were disarmed at that festival, while the criminal ignored such laws. It's also very likely that even without those laws, people would have still been disarmed at that location by virtue of California making it excessively difficult to purchase a pistol and near impossible to get a concealed carry license.

You can't, by definition, have gun control without trying to disarm people in some way. Whether it's certain people, certain places, or certain types of weapons you want to disarm people of, you are still disarming someone, somewhere, of something.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Logical fallacy, argument by assertion.
Merely asserting that I've committed two logic fallacies doesn't make it true.
You need to establish with reasoned argumentation and evidence why your claim is true that you think I committed the logical fallacy of confirmation bias or cherry picking.
If you attempt to give reasons why, I will be able to then demonstrate why your reasons are flawed and thus why I never actually committed a logical fallacy.

Logical fallacy, irrelevant conclusion.
The fact that Sweden is a part of the developed world, but not the entire developed world, is irrelevant to the points I made regardless of whether or not your statement is true. Your statement does not disprove any of the points I already made.

And if you can't deal with the points I raised then the entire premise of your argument falls apart. The incorrect premise of your argument being that restricting access to guns correlates automatically to reduced crime.

As I pointed out, the developed world is replete with examples of why your premise is invalid.

Most obvious of which is the fact that, despite grenades being totally banned in Sweden, their use in crime is skyrocketing in a few short years.

You can't "gun control" your way out of that problem. You can't get any harsher gun control than a total ban on something. Yet why is their use skyrocketing in Sweden?

As I already said, and now repeat for your sake: You ignored the fact that the majority of what you would champion as laudible gun control laws only came into existence in Switzerland in 2008, and you aren't aware that prior to 1999 there was very little in the way of gun control in Switzerland.

Yet Switzerland was not a crime ridden cesspool in 1980 when gun control was minimal, nor were there major issues prior to 2008 that suddenly disappeared after the additional 2008 gun control laws.

You therefore have no logical or historical basis for attributing the peace in Switzerland to it's gun control laws. You're committing the most basic of logical fallacy of "Correlation/Causation". Correlation by itself does not prove causation. And other historical context disproves your belief that gun control laws are responsible for the peace in Switzerland.

I mentioned "restrictive gun laws" not helping, and I said it in the context of listing several examples in California where they ban access to guns to certain people, certain types, or certain places.

You claimed they help in the "developed world". Which means you were claiming that banning access to guns is helpful. That is disarming people. Even if it's not disarming everyone, or disarming them of everything, or disarming them in every place, it's still disarming them.

The fact is the law abiding citizen was disarmed at that "gun free" festival, when they needed it, while the criminal ignored such bans. 20 year old gun owners were disarmed at that festival, while the criminal ignored such laws. It's also very likely that even without those laws, people would have still been disarmed at that location by virtue of California making it excessively difficult to purchase a pistol and near impossible to get a concealed carry license.

You can't, by definition, have gun control without trying to disarm people in some way. Whether it's certain people, certain places, or certain types of weapons you want to disarm people of, you are still disarming someone, somewhere, of something.
Tell it to the people in El Paso.

Rise

Nope, I'm just not wasting my time countering fallacious arguments when the reality is plain to see.
You continue to commit the logical fallacy of "argument by assertion"
Argument by assertion - RationalWiki

Merely claiming that you are right, and claiming that it is plain to see, doesn't make your claim true.
You need to be able to present reasoned arguments and evidence that demonstrate why your claim is true.

You haven't refuted the points I made that dismantled your premise - and you won't be able to because your premise isn't actually true.

Your graphs also fall into the fallacy of "irrelevant conclusion":
Irrelevant conclusion - Wikipedia

Whether or not the data in those graphs is true or not is irrelevant to disproving the points I made that refuted your premise.

As I already logically outlined, but I repeat for your benefit: The fact that grenades are totally illegal in Sweden, yet their use in crime is skyrocketing, immediately disproves your claim that grenade control laws are the reason Sweden has historically enjoyed low to no grenade crime. Sweden cannot make grenades anymore illegal than they already are (completely banned) yet their use in crime continues to climb in only the last few years.
The same is true of gun crime in Sweden rising at a similar rate in the same time frame, even though gun control laws in Sweden have not gotten more lax in that timeframe.

These facts disprove your premise that the primary factor in lowering gun crime in developed nations is gun control laws.
The fact is then established that there are other factors that determine crime rates like this.

If you want to put a stop to crime and bring peace/safety to the nations then you need to accept the facts as they are and try to tackle the real root of the crime. Holding onto disproven false notions about how gun control laws are the solution to this problem isn't going to help anyone because it's already been proven to not be true (for the reasons I already outlined). You can't expect to genuinely help people if you're basing your social change plans on lies and errors. You need accurate and reliable analysis based on observed reality - not religious adherence to an ideological belief that has already been contradicted by observed reality.

Last edited:
The fact that grenades are totally illegal in Sweden, yet their use in crime is skyrocketing, immediately disproves your claim that grenade control laws are the reason Sweden has historically enjoyed low to no grenade crime.

No it doesn't.

It actually offers evidence that number of grenade attacks is linked to availability of grenades along with the quite obvious fact that legal enforcement is imperfect.

You seriously believe that historical numbers of grenade crimes would have been close to zero had grenades been widely available?

Kangaroo Feathers

No it doesn't.

It actually offers evidence that number of grenade attacks is linked to availability of grenades along with the quite obvious fact that legal enforcement is imperfect.

You seriously believe that historical numbers of grenade crimes would have been close to zero had grenades been widely available?
The only way t stop a bad guy with a grenade is with a good guy with a grenade! When grenades are criminalised, only criminals will have grenades! *bleat, bleat, bleat*

Rise

No it doesn't.

There are two fundamental errors with your claim:

1. Your claim was already disproven by looking at the fact that in 2007 Switzerland had the third highest access to guns of any nation in the world yet one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
Correlation does not equal causation. If gun availability were the sole and primary cause of increased gun crime then we would have seen Switzerland reflect that fact.

2. Sweden's grenade availability should not, according to gun control advocates, be any more than it was 10 years ago because grenades are 100% banned and always were. Gun control advocates base the entire premise of their laws on the idea that they can make people safe by removing access to something through legislative fiat (because it worked so well with drugs, right?). So, if the legal availability of the grenades have not changed then what has? Only the people involved have changed. This conclusively demonstrates that there are more factors involved in gun/grenade crime than what kind of gun control laws are in effect. Which disproves the idea that gun control is what was responsible for the lack of grenade attacks in Sweden 10 years ago. Sweden wasn't peaceful 10 years ago because they had legal bans on grenades, they were peaceful because they had a population that had no desire to acquire and use grenades against their fellow citizens. When foreigners enter who don't live by Sweden's values, in the last few years, they find a way to acquire what they want and then use it.

That's because crime is a social/cultural/spiritual issue, not a tool access issue.
In order for your belief about crime to be true, you'd have to be advocating the idea that everyone is a criminal waiting to happen if only you put the tools in their hands to do it. We know that is not universally true, as some people will morally reject the opportunity to commit certain crimes regardless of their ability to execute or get away with that crime. We also know from many regional variations on how populations respond to gun accessibility that putting more guns in people's hands doesn't automatically make them more likely to commit a crime with them - because as a population they don't have an intention or desire to commit as much crime in the first place.

Last edited:
here are two fundamental errors with your claim:

1. Your claim was already disproven by looking at the fact that in 2007 Switzerland had the third highest access to guns of any nation in the world yet one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
Correlation does not equal causation. If gun availability were the sole and primary cause of increased gun crime then we would have seen Switzerland reflect that fact.

There are 2 fundamental errors with your claim.

Switzerland has a low crime rate yet the 2nd highest rate of firearm deaths in Europe behind Finland (which has more guns). Strangely, there is a strong link between gun ownership per capita and firearm related deaths per capita in Europe.

2. Sweden's grenade availability should not, according to gun control advocates, be any more than it was 10 years ago because grenades are 100% banned and always were. Gun control advocates base the entire premise of their laws on the idea that they can make people safe by removing access to something through legislative fiat (because it worked so well with drugs, right?). So, if the legal availability of the grenades have not changed then what has?

This is a very disingenuous argument. Black market availability = availability. Illegal markets are not consistent, and a few years ago some Swedish criminals acquired a large quantity of grenades.

Nobody thinks that you can make anything perfectly safe, just safer. If a kid is getting bullied at school and wants revenge, chances are he can't get a gun in most countries. If a guy gets drunk and has a fight, he hasn't got a gun. If a guy gets bitter at immigrants and wants to kill them, chances are he can't get a gun.

Also, nobody thinks that gun availability is the only relevant factor, it's just that it is much easier to shoot someone when you actually have a gun. When most of the population can't get a gun, they can't shoot anyone.

Also nobody thinks that you automatically become a criminal when you get a gun, these are just a bundle of strawmen.

If you think guns should be legal for cultural reasons then at least be honest enough to say so. Don't hide behind sophistry and ridiculous misrepresentations.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
You know, a funny thing happens when we look at some of these guys.

These often have their Facebook history mysteriously wiped. When people backtrack on their history, in some (maybe not all, but definitely some) cases it turns out the "extreme right wing white supremacist" is actually a Bernie Sanders or Hillary voter.

Debunking hoaxes, fake news about the Las Vegas massacre

Here's an example: A "conservative" opens fire on people in a country music concert in Vegas. Yup, this is "obviously" a conservative killing off "liberals" at a country music concert. At a country music concert. The article in question tries to make the case that this wasn't the REAL shooter. Well, guess what? It sure as hell wasn't a conservative killing off other conservatives to make conservatives look bad.

Politifiction (see what I did there?) seems to enjoy discrediting stuff even when the discredit makes no sense.

Like there was a person attending church ("all Christians are bad, see?") in like Texas who shot up the place. The church was a very traditional church, but yeah, obviously it's another right wing killer.

In order to determine whether a shooting represents a false flag, it is essential that two questions be asked:
  1. Who were the victims (Whites killed? Then not a white supremacist)?
  2. Cui Bono? (Who benefits?)
So let's examine the New Zealand massacre:
  1. Who were the victims? All Muslim.
  2. Who benefits? Oddly enough, also Muslims. Within weeks of the attack, they were talking seriously about instituting Sharia law for "solidarity" and removing references to Jesus from the parliamentary prayer.
In the above event, it can clearly be defined as a false flag because of criteria #2.

InChrist

Free4ever
For you, I'll avoid using that...I make no intentional disrespect to Christ or to God..
Thank you, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. I didn't mean to make you think I needed some special treatment, though. I was simply pointing out how we can all be influenced by the culture in our words, actions, etc. if we do stop and think, evaluate, pay attention and/or take personal responsibility before we do things.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

These often have their Facebook history mysteriously wiped. When people backtrack on their history, in some (maybe not all, but definitely some) cases it turns out the "extreme right wing white supremacist" is actually a Bernie Sanders or Hillary voter.

Here's an example: A "conservative" opens fire on people in a country music concert in Vegas. Yup, this is "obviously" a conservative killing off "liberals" at a country music concert. At a country music concert. The article in question tries to make the case that this wasn't the REAL shooter. Well, guess what? It sure as hell wasn't a conservative killing off other conservatives to make conservatives look bad.

Politifiction (see what I did there?) seems to enjoy discrediting stuff even when the discredit makes no sense.

Like there was a person attending church ("all Christians are bad, see?") in like Texas who shot up the place. The church was a very traditional church, but yeah, obviously it's another right wing killer.

In order to determine whether a shooting represents a false flag, it is essential that two questions be asked:
  2. Who benefits? Oddly enough, also Muslims. Within weeks of the attack, they were talking seriously about instituting Sharia law for "solidarity" and removing references to Jesus from the parliamentary prayer.
In the above event, it can clearly be defined as a false flag because of criteria #2.
How convenient that you get to ignore all facts and invent a conspiracy to avoid admitting the possibility that some people in your political affiliation may have been radicalized.

This kind of disgusting manipulation and denial of reality has no place in political discourse. And the fact that you're willing to blame minority groups for their own mass murder is appalling. You should be ashamed.

Kangaroo Feathers

What a bunch of crap. New Zealand talking about instituting Sharia Law? Where do you find this bull****? I don't remember anyone claiming the concert shooter was a conservative or had manifestos, either. Virtually all of the discussion was about how he had no obvious motive, with a handful of people trying to shoehorn in Muslim overtones because of his connections to (iirc) the Philippines

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
How convenient that you get to ignore all facts and invent a conspiracy to avoid admitting the possibility that some people in your political affiliation may have been radicalized.

They would not be part of their political affiliation by definition of being radical.

This kind of disgusting manipulation

Like your own above? Hilarious