• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Sad Case Of Bullying Gone Bad

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Girl, 13, slipped and fell to death while begging boy to delete sex tape - London - News - London Evening Standard

A sexually abused 13-year-old girl slipped to her death in a “ghastly accident” and did not intend to kill herself, a coroner has said.
Chevonea Kendall-Bryan was begging a teenage boy to delete a sex tape of her being abused when she plunged 60ft from her bedroom
window in Battersea, the inquest heard.

Criminy, kids can be so cruel to each other.
(Adults ain't much better.)

MissAlice

That's awful. :( I remember being bullied a lot in school and the hardest part was tell to anyone about it including adults. When I brought it up with one adult, the school teacher, he said "That's life. Soon you'll be laughing back at all of this." I still haven't laughed nor looked back at my teen years since. Some people have no idea how bullying can affect people. This poor girl had it real bad. As a child we didn't have mobile phones or at least they weren't as popular as they are now. It does make me question how this will and has effected kids and adults in aspects regarding privacy. People are so sneaky with their mobile phones that anything can be abused with that privilege along with good old fashion bullying. This is a good reason why I warn my 12 year old niece about this stuff. I always worry about her going through this in high school even though she's very pretty. Kids and even adults can be extremely cruel. Those teen years are especially hard.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's awful. :( I remember being bullied a lot in school and the hardest part was tell to anyone about it including adults. When I brought it up with one adult, the school teacher, he said "That's life. Soon you'll be laughing back at all of this." I still haven't laughed nor looked back at my teen years since. Some people have no idea how bullying can affect people. This poor girl had it real bad. As a child we didn't have mobile phones or at least they weren't as popular as they are now. It does make me question how this will and has effected kids and adults in aspects regarding privacy. People are so sneaky with their mobile phones that anything can be abused with that privilege along with good old fashion bullying. This is a good reason why I warn my 12 year old niece about this stuff. I always worry about her going through this in high school even though she's very pretty. Kids and even adults can be extremely cruel. Those teen years are especially hard.
Your niece is fortunate to have your counsel.
Too many kids go it alone.

MissAlice

Your niece is fortunate to have your counsel.
Too many kids go it alone.

Thanks. I agree. Too many kids come home from school while their parents are at work or busy with their own lives that they forget that childhood isn't always peaches n' cream. My sister is always telling my niece how great she has it whenever she comes home from work tired and facing 3 children who are arguing at her. I think it's true when they say it takes a community to raise a child. As an aunt I realize my niece is getting to that age where in my opinion, life gets much harder than easier.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks. I agree. Too many kids come home from school while their parents are at work or busy with their own lives that they forget that childhood isn't always peaches n' cream. My sister is always telling my niece how great she has it whenever she comes home from work tired and facing 3 children who are arguing at her. I think it's true when they say it takes a community to raise a child. As an aunt I realize my niece is getting to that age where in my opinion, life gets much harder than easier.
This has me wondering. We've all this talk about mass school shootings, but so little about the more pervasive yet tolerated violence of bullying.
I'm sure schools don't want even more burdens heaped upon them, but I favor their taking a more active role in preventing bullying. If it means
a staff increase & more surveillance, this strikes me as a cost effective use of tax dollars, given the high cost of lives lost & damaged. If needed,
we could cut back on some wars or bail-outs for funding, eh?

And for those who will carp about this not being very libertarian, I ask....
What is a more libertarian function of government than preserving civil liberties?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The sad thing is that the child who is being cruel to another child will probably grow up to be cruel to his or her peers, too. Bullying needs to stop as soon as it starts- when the bully is a very small child. Teaching "sensitivity" to a small child may seem drastic, but in a lot of cases, it needs to be done. :(

MissAlice

This has me wondering. We've all this talk about mass school shootings, but so little about the more pervasive yet tolerated violence of bullying.
I'm sure schools don't want even more burdens heaped upon them, but I favor their taking a more active role in preventing bullying. If it means
a staff increase & more surveillance, this strikes me as a cost effective use of tax dollars, given the high cost of lives lost & damaged. If needed,
we could cut back on some wars or bail-outs for funding, eh?

And for those who will carp about this not being very libertarian, I ask....
What is a more libertarian function of government than preserving civil liberties?

There is so many good things we could do with our tax dollars but it seems our tax dollars prefer investing interests outside our realm. I'm not sure what would tackle bullying head on per se as I'm no expert but I do think it productive in my opinion than taxes spent on outside problems that seem to always lead to more conflicts. I'm sounding too general but I can't argue there.

MissAlice

The sad thing is that the child who is being cruel to another child will probably grow up to be cruel to his or her peers, too. Bullying needs to stop as soon as it starts- when the bully is a very small child. Teaching "sensitivity" to a small child may seem drastic, but in a lot of cases, it needs to be done. :(

Not all people who are bullied grow up to bully. In fact I think it made me more sensitive and aware to bullying than before. That's not to say it doesn't happen but most people that picked on me seem to have it pretty good than people who were usually targeted. But yeah, it could dramatically affect child enough to go on a rampage or do something that will take a destructive toll in some form or another.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not all people who are bullied grow up to bully. In fact I think it made me more sensitive and aware to bullying than before. That's not to say it doesn't happen but most people that picked on me seem to have it pretty good than people who were usually targeted. But yeah, it could dramatically affect child enough to go on a rampage or do something that will take a destructive toll in some form or another.

I meant the bullies themselves would grow up to bully, not the victims. And I know that not all bullies grow up to be bullies but there is a chance.

Last edited:

MissAlice

I meant the bullies themselves would grow up to bully, not the victims. And I know that not all bullies grow up to be bullies but there is a chance.

Oh now I see what you said. Whoops my bad. :eek: There's usually a misconception that people who often bully were bullied themselves. That's not to say it happens but it tends to get thrown around a lot as the ultimate excuse as to why they bully.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Oh now I see what you said. Whoops my bad. :eek: There's usually a misconception that people who often bully were bullied themselves. That's not to say it happens but it tends to get thrown around a lot as the ultimate excuse as to why they bully.

There can be many reasons- parenting is only one, and that one is thrown around too often, as you implied. It can also be low self-esteem- a person trying to make himself or herself better by lowering others esteem. Those are not the only reasons- and I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist to make any definite causes to why a person wants to bully another.
But, as I said, we need to stop as soon as we see it- a child who is 5 and in kindergarten pushing down or teasing another child, for instance, to try and stop it then and there. But there are no easy solutions.

MissAlice

There can be many reasons- parenting is only one, and that one is thrown around too often, as you implied. It can also be low self-esteem- a person trying to make himself or herself better by lowering others esteem. Those are not the only reasons- and I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist to make any definite causes to why a person wants to bully another.
But, as I said, we need to stop as soon as we see it- a child who is 5 and in kindergarten pushing down or teasing another child, for instance, to try and stop it then and there. But there are no easy solutions.

Oh I agree and I'm sure peer pressure also plays a huge role. If you can't beat em' join em'. I had a similar experience with a group of girls. They made me feel a sense of belonging which was not something I felt at home or in school. Then came the taunts at some girl and the pressure to join in. I may have not done the "right" thing by not standing up to them but I knew I didn't want to be part of it.

I also think parents should be aware of their child's actions but that's easier said than done. It's one of those issues that are very complex and not always easy to predict and solve. My nephew has poor impulse control due to his complicated disorder, Polymicrogyria. He is not a mean person but rather has trouble controlling his anger and will act out in a bully-ish way. I don't tolerate it but I also have to remember that he is not in the normal frame of mind as most boys his age. He is not going to easily "get it" when he is asked to stop but he does know right from wrong and for the first time in his life this year, he has learned to apologize without be asked to. Most kids his age don't apologize willingly so it could be that because he has had more intervention and interaction that he's becoming more aware of his actions. He's even opening doors for people. How he'll turn out as a teenager is not something I can't predict. He and his sisters have sort of had it rough but on the otherhand they've have had some support from the rest of our family. I strongly believe childhood years are the most crucial time to start teaching because after that, their minds are almost always made up as adults. It's up to them to want to change their behavior which isn't easy when genetics and disorders may also play a role. Resources become harder for adults who need or want help.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Has anyone ever noticed that when a child is bullied and taken out of state ran schools to be taught in private schools the bullying stops? Why can these private schools stop this situation but state ran schools cannot?

Renji

That's just awful. :( Reminds me of my childhood. Instead of the one being bullied, I was actually the one who's bullying my classmates. But then, as I grew older I realized that what I'm doing isn't nice so I changed eventually and turned out to be some sort of Mr. Congineality, title that my friends used to call me in spite the fact that I am kinda introverted type of person. What just make me think of is the future of the bully in this article. He could change for the better, just like what happen to me or be worse and be a jerk to other people. I prefer the first one. And yeah, I think arguments and misunderstandings are just normal for any age (kids, teens and even adults experience that). What's not normal is bullying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Has anyone ever noticed that when a child is bullied and taken out of state ran schools to be taught in private schools the bullying stops? Why can these private schools stop this situation but state ran schools cannot?
This seems to be the case. Perhaps it's partly because the public schools take all comers, including the bad apples.
But I also suspect that private schools run a tighter ship, since bullying would result in a major loss of revenue.

I've a stereotype of English public (meaning private) schools allowing bullying.
Anyone know more about it?

Renji

I dunno the case in the public and private schools in other countries, but in my country, private schools are usually stricter compared to public schools. In my case, I actually studied elementary and highschool in a private-sectarian school with strict rules and policies, but then again, that did not stop me from bullying my classmates. :D I guess private schools are kinda strict, which makes bullying less in these institutions.