• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another question.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Really it just to Zephyr. In another thread you said "I'm a man, and in Asatru magic is considered the woman's domain". Would this mean that if I did find Asatru(or even Odinism or what not) to be right for me, that as a male I would have to give up my practice of magic?

Zephyr

Moved on
Really it just to Zephyr. In another thread you said "I'm a man, and in Asatru magic is considered the woman's domain". Would this mean that if I did find Asatru(or even Odinism or what not) to be right for me, that as a male I would have to give up my practice of magic?
Generally Seidhr is considered argr, or very unmanly. The sort of unmanliness that you could legally kill someone if they accused you of it, if that's any indication.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Generally Seidhr is considered argr, or very unmanly. The sort of unmanliness that you could legally kill someone if they accused you of it, if that's any indication.

Well I wouldn't kill anyone for even saying that. But I understand what you mean. Though something I read in the book The Rites of Odin that I picked up, the guy say that if one has interests in the Arcane and the Occult one should pursue, and maybe became a Priest or a Priestess along with the normal jobs. Arcane usually intalls "magic". To me it will be a hard thing to give up. But really to have what would seem like all of Heathenism look at you as something so unmanly that if someone call you it you can kill them, wouldn't make me feel good. I guess this is something I must ponder for myself. Thank you.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I found something I would like to add to a talk about magic in Heathenism my friend(if I may call you that). Seiðr Magic

Not sure I reliable this person is or how he is seem with the Asatru/Odinism group but that it might me something else to talk about.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I just thought of one more thing to add this morning before I go off to work. I'm not trying to say you are wrong in what you are saying, you did say you don't know about magic so....well anyway here goes. I had read also that one of Odin's area pf control was magic. And the way I read in to Runes they seem like a form of magic, plus there are some other thing that seem to me to be works in magic that ether male or females both do. In the long run I guess it's how one sees magic to begin with.

Zephyr

Moved on
The Rites of Odin
:siren:Stay the hell away from that thing!:siren: It is pretty much the worst source you could possibly come across for Asatru.
I found something I would like to add to a talk about magic in Heathenism my friend(if I may call you that). Seiðr Magic

Not sure I reliable this person is or how he is seem with the Asatru/Odinism group but that it might me something else to talk about.
Yeah, Seidhr, just as mentioned earlier, is argr.
I just thought of one more thing to add this morning before I go off to work. I'm not trying to say you are wrong in what you are saying, you did say you don't know about magic so....well anyway here goes. I had read also that one of Odin's area pf control was magic. And the way I read in to Runes they seem like a form of magic, plus there are some other thing that seem to me to be works in magic that ether male or females both do. In the long run I guess it's how one sees magic to begin with.
Yeah Odin learned Seidhr, and was immediately seen as effeminate. He's pretty wild when it comes to gaining knowledge about anything, so I guess he just didn't really care about the hit to his reputation and went for it anyway. This doesn't make it right. Even the gods make mistakes. The runes are also used for a form of magic, but it is like Seidhr in that it's a woman's realm. Fun to write with though. That's totally cool. And yeah, some men do magic. They are girly men who greatly endangered their reputation and manliness, to both man and god.

Magic is generally thought of as effeminate because a man should take things up front without having to resort to supernatural means.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
"He's pretty wild when it comes to gaining knowledge about anything,"

Same here, maybe that's way I feel drawn to Odin.....

"so I guess he just didn't really care about the hit to his reputation and went for it anyway."

Sometimes though one shouldn't care what other think.
Though I still think most people don't understand magic that's way they think that way and think it's for girl well then to hell with them. I guess I may still be lost in what fits me. Maybe not.......

Thanks for you're input my friend.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
One more thing to add(sorry if it's a lot to ask). Do you think though that there is a difference in the Knowledge of Magic(knowing how it works) and the Practice of Magic(working it).

Zephyr

Moved on
"He's pretty wild when it comes to gaining knowledge about anything,"

Same here, maybe that's way I feel drawn to Odin.....
There are plenty of reasons to be drawn to Odin. He made some great sacrifices that were truly admirable. He also made a bunch of really bad decisions too. That's what you get with imperfect gods.
"so I guess he just didn't really care about the hit to his reputation and went for it anyway."

Sometimes though one shouldn't care what other think.
This may be a problem then. Reputation is a big deal for Heathens. After all, when we're gone what do we have left? Our reputations. I know that when I die I'd much rather not be remembered as anything but an honorable man. It isn't just among men, but among the gods as well.
Though I still think most people don't understand magic that's way they think that way and think it's for girl well then to hell with them. I guess I may still be lost in what fits me. Maybe not.......
Possibly, and there's technically no divine rule preventing a man from practicing magic. It's just frowned upon.

One more thing to add(sorry if it's a lot to ask). Do you think though that there is a difference in the Knowledge of Magic(knowing how it works) and the Practice of Magic(working it).
No idea really. I neither know it nor do it. I really suppose there would be nothing wrong understanding it, since it's the act itself that is seen as feminine.

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
Siedr is effeminate, yes. But I think Galdr is ok for men to sing without their reputations suffering. All the folk I know that use Galdrs are male.