• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another lie by an apostate.

djhwoodwerks

Is this the "spirit" direction the watchtower uses for translating their "divine truth"?

*** yb00 pp. 93-94 Britain *** 2000 Yearbook

Geraint Watkin is also a member of the Bethel family. In the early 1980’s, he turned down a university education in favor of pioneer service. He supported himself with part-time work on his father’s farm. He enjoyed the pioneer work and hoped that someday he might become a missionary. So why did he apply for Bethel service? An article in The Watchtower in 1989 deeply influenced him. There he read the life story of Max Larson, a member of the Bethel family in the United States. Brother Larson said: “I firmly believe that Bethel is the best place on earth this side of the coming earthly Paradise.” Geraint noticed that, after requesting an application for Bethel service, Brother Larson had kept the matter before Jehovah in prayer. Geraint promptly followed that example. About ten days later, he received a phone call inviting him to become a member of the Bethel family in Britain. In Bethel service, he uses experience he gained on his father’s farm to care for a farm that supplies food for the Bethel family in London. At one time farming was simply a means for him to support himself in the pioneer work. He views the farming he now does as his “Bethel assignment from Jehovah.”

Awake - No. 3 – 2016 – Breaking the Language Barrier
How do translators typically carry out their work?

Geraint, a translator based in Britain, explains: “I work with a team of translators, so good cooperation is the key. Together we explore solutions to tough translation problems. As we do, we consider not just words but groups of words. We weigh their real meaning and intent, constantly reminding ourselves of the target audience for each article.”

You can read the whole article on jw.org. If you do, please notice that Geraint's surname is never mentioned in the entire article!

Tumah

Veteran Member
Is this the "spirit" direction the watchtower uses for translating their "divine truth"?

How do translators typically carry out their work?

Geraint, a translator based in Britain, explains: “I work with a team of translators, so good cooperation is the key. Together we explore solutions to tough translation problems. As we do, we consider not just words but groups of words. We weigh their real meaning and intent, constantly reminding ourselves of the target audience for each article.”

You can read the whole article on jw.org. If you do, please notice that Geraint's surname is never mentioned in the entire article!
This seems to be the way all Christian translators work. So what's the problem you have exactly?

djhwoodwerks

This seems to be the way all Christian translators work. So what's the problem you have exactly?

Apparently you didn't read this part,

*** yb00 pp. 93-94 Britain *** 2000 Yearbook

Geraint Watkin is also a member of the Bethel family. In the early 1980’s, he turned down a university education in favor of pioneer service. He supported himself with part-time work on his father’s farm. He enjoyed the pioneer work and hoped that someday he might become a missionary. So why did he apply for Bethel service? An article in The Watchtower in 1989 deeply influenced him. There he read the life story of Max Larson, a member of the Bethel family in the United States. Brother Larson said: “I firmly believe that Bethel is the best place on earth this side of the coming earthly Paradise.” Geraint noticed that, after requesting an application for Bethel service, Brother Larson had kept the matter before Jehovah in prayer. Geraint promptly followed that example. About ten days later, he received a phone call inviting him to become a member of the Bethel family in Britain. In Bethel service, he uses experience he gained on his father’s farm to care for a farm that supplies food for the Bethel family in London. At one time farming was simply a means for him to support himself in the pioneer work. He views the farming he now does as his “Bethel assignment from Jehovah.”

Christian translators are Biblical "scholars", not farmers.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Is this even more veiled J.W. bashing?
J.W. harm NO ONE and try to carry a message even door to door in the face
of rude and sometimes violent responses.
They got guts!
How devoted to the Truth they believe in!
If EVERYONE were like them we would't have an Orlando massacre.

djhwoodwerks

They got guts!

I am veiling nothing, and it is not "bashing", just bringing the false teaching to light. They are very devoted, devoted to the false teachings of the governing body.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I am veiling nothing, and it is not "bashing", just bringing the false teaching to light. They are very devoted, devoted to the false teachings of the governing body.

Yeah, well o.k. That's cool with me.
The G.B. is a bit, ah, er, dictatorial.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

"Geraint Watkin is also a member of the Bethel family".

So is Geraint WATKIN his first name?
Well I guess we will never know his surname then.....
shame.gif

You crack me up.
gigglesmile.gif

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They got guts!
Have you not heard of the Jehovah's Witness woman who spoke out against the belief that Jesus came to the Bible Students invisibly in 1914?
She was disfellowshipped for it and now her JW daughter will not associate with her. Even though "bad associations spoil useful habits" probably was
not written to mean what the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses teach it means (2 Peter 2:1). The last I heard is that she has grandchildren who she has never met. Please tell me how that is doing no harm to her.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Have you not heard of the Jehovah's Witness woman who spoke out against the belief that Jesus came to the Bible Students invisibly in 1914?
She was disfellowshipped for it and now her JW daughter will not associate with her. Even though "bad associations spoil useful habits" probably was
not written to mean what the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses teach it means (2 Peter 2:1). The last I heard is that she has grandchildren who she has never met. Please tell me how that is doing no harm to her.
Oh please....more second hand sob stories? Boo Hoo.
cry2.gif

No one gets disfellowshipped for holding a different opinion. What you get disfellowshipped for is causing division in the congregation by voicing your dissent and causing others to question their faith. God hates that...or didn't you know? (Prov 6:16-19)
bore.gif

Who does this woman have to blame for her situation? Heaven forbid that she should take responsibility for her own actions.
Harm to her? What about the harm she may well have caused to others? (2 John 10, 11)

We are told to submit to those taking the lead because they are keeping watch over our souls... (Heb 13:17) so who is looking out for your soul?

If you are going to tell the story, at least get it right. 2 Pet 2:1 may well apply to you....I guess we will all know soon enough.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
cry2.gif

No one gets disfellowshipped for holding a different opinion. What you get disfellowshipped for is causing division in the congregation by voicing your dissent and causing others to question their faith. God hates that...or didn't you know? (Prov 6:16-19)
bore.gif

Who does this woman have to blame for her situation? Heaven forbid that she should take responsibility for her own actions.
Harm to her? What about the harm she may well have caused to others? (2 John 10, 11)

We are told to submit to those taking the lead because they are keeping watch over our souls... (Heb 13:17) so who is looking out for your soul?

If you are going to tell the story, at least get it right. 2 Pet 2:1 may well apply to you....I guess we will all know soon enough.
You are assuming that she spoke out to more than the elders. Do you know?

Tell me, how does a person repent from a belief?

I don't believe the elders have been assigned by The Holy Spirit. How do I repent from that?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You repent by showing some humility....by submission and obedience to the ones who take the lead. (Heb 13:17)
A person who has doubts can approach the elders in the proper manner and receiving scriptural counsel.
Those who want to run away with their own ideas as if the slave is somehow tardy about dispensing the truth and needs their personal assistance, should understand that "food" is dispensed "at the proper time" and by the hand of the appointed slave.
Jesus is directing his congregation and they show that they are his willing disciples by their words and actions among a global brotherhood who are all unitedly preaching about the kingdom, just as he commanded.
If someone doesn't want to be a part of that brotherhood, they are free to leave...just don't expect us to treat it as anything but a defection.
t2.gif

Want you cake and eat it too? Cant be submissive?
198.gif
Your problem.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You repent by showing some humility....by submission and obedience to the ones who take the lead. (Heb 13:17)
A person who has doubts can approach the elders in the proper manner and receiving scriptural counsel.
Those who want to run away with their own ideas as if the slave is somehow tardy about dispensing the truth and needs their personal assistance, should understand that "food" is dispensed "at the proper time" and by the hand of the appointed slave.
Jesus is directing his congregation and they show that they are his willing disciples by their words and actions among a global brotherhood who are all unitedly preaching about the kingdom, just as he commanded.
If someone doesn't want to be a part of that brotherhood, they are free to leave...just don't expect us to treat it as anything but a defection.
t2.gif

Want you cake and eat it too? Cant be submissive?
198.gif
Your problem.
You didn't answer the question. How does a person repent from believing something different from what is taught by Jehovah's Witnesses?
You say, "showing some humility". OK. I do that. ;)
Can you answer the question?

Is "showing humility" changing my mind or pretending to change my mind?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Is "showing humility" changing my mind or pretending to change my mind?

If you don't hold the same beliefs as we do, you have no place with us....is that rocket science? You don't belong. Isn't that obvious?
Do you think we should all drop the slave and follow you? Seriously.
178.gif

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you don't hold the same beliefs as we do, you have no place with us....is that rocket science? You don't belong. Isn't that obvious?
Do you think we should all drop the slave and follow you? Seriously.
178.gif
You are NOT paying attention lady!

Matthew 4:19 Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people."
Matthew 8:22 But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
Matthew 9:9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
Mark 2:14 As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."
Matthew 10:38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Luke 14:27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Is it because he is invisible that you can't follow him?

JoStories

They got guts!
While I can appreciate that most of your door to door people are just trying to do what they believe is right, I have had more than my share that were rude and in my face types. One asked me, to my saying, politely I might add, that I am Buddhist, if I was happily going to hell and had her finger shaking in my face. I politely reminded her that Buddhist do not believe in a hell per se to which she scoffed at me and said I was delusional. This is but one example of some that have come knocking. So again, while most may not be like these, some are. And that is, IMO, inexcusable.

JoStories

cry2.gif

bore.gif

First of all, your God may hate something but the God I believe in hates no one and openly requires questioning. That leads to enlightenment. Second, apparently you have never lost a child. How dare you dismiss this woman's pain so callously. I had my children taken because a man raped my child and my ex was a total jack hole, blaming me for her rape. The man grabbed her while she was walking home from school with other children and dragged her into a van. She was 8 at the time. How I was supposed to have stopped a pedophile is beyond me. Perhaps you might know that one. What harm does questioning cause anyone? Are you serious with this? If this is an example of what your faith has to offer, I thank my God I have nothing to do with it.