• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another interpretation of the 33 million Gods in Hinduism

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Another interpretation of the 33 million Gods in Hinduism

Non-Hindus always criticize Hinduism having so many Gods. Usually I argue "Hindus see 1 God, it's just characteristics. It's you who see many Gods. As you speak of My God, Your God etc. Whereas we Hindus see only 1 God for all"

I believe that all human are incarnations of the Divine
So, I believe that the 33 million number just means that at the time this number was revealed to mankind, that the world population of humans was ca. 33 million.

I double checked it with Google:
5000 years ago the world population was 14 million. Then 33 million seems quite close.
Humans had been around for tens of thousands of years by the year 1 A.D. when the Earth's population was an estimated 200 million. It hit the billion mark in 1804 and doubled by 1927

5000 years ago, the population was 14 million. 4000 years ago, it was 27 million. 3000 years ago, it was 50 million

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you’re over complicating it. 33 million gods include so many entities like devas, asuras, etc.

ManSinha

Another possible explanation
A longish 7 minutes laced with some wry humor

[EDIT]

It is most likely a misnomer - given the fact that there is more than one Supreme Being worshipped by followers out there - take just Shiva and Vishnu / Krishna

Then with the concept of the Ishtadevta - personal deity

If most religious people that are not members of an organized religion - have a personal object of worship - it all adds up

I have often wondered - although in my religion - the "One" is thought to be someone that permeates all of creation - how does some person with a relatively limited mind (like me) conceptualize this to worship or focus?

Hence at least IMO - the "enhanced human" or "humanoid" aspects of many of the icons that represent gods and goddesses

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Personally I'm indifferent to such stuff. Being a bhaktar, and not a scholar, what calls me is the energy. I can go to temple, do my sadhana, go on pilgrimage, and afterwards I feel better. The darshan (shakti, energy, vibes, sannidhya) whatever makes people who are in tune with it to be more confident, quieter, less intellectual, kinder, humbler, and more. It's how the application of heat will change things, or, if in the right doses, soothe things. Of course the key is the part about being in tune. If you're not tuned in to it, you feel nothing at all and thinks it's all just stupid. I've seen come to a temple who aren't quote 'there' yet, watch the devotees being happy, being still, crying quietly with bhakti tears, and then go ... "What the hell is wrong with these people?" lol

So devotees can discuss, answer questions, speculate all they want. Non Hindus can question, critique, criticize, ridicule, mock, or do whatever other anti-Hindu stuff they want to. That isn't going to change the devotee's relationship to the deity one iota. Thai Pusam is coming up, and I would have no way of explaining it ... you have to experience it to get it.

But sure ... 3 Gods, 1 God, 33 million, 67 lakh, 42, 1900, whatever. Go for it.

stvdv

Vanakkam
But why do us hindus should care about what non-hindus think about that... ?
Yoga Vasistha teaches me: Accept truth even when it comes from a fool, reject untruth even if it comes from God.
So whenever God comes to me in the disguise of non-Hindu, I take it into serious consideration
Use common sense and discrimination: Accept it if my feeling/conscience says yes, else reject

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have often wondered - although in my religion - the "One" is thought to be someone that permeates all of creation - how does some person with a relatively limited mind (like me) conceptualize this to worship or focus?
Hence at least IMO - the "enhanced human" or "humanoid" aspects of many of the icons that represent gods and goddesses
As you know Hindus also have their one, Brahman, none different from 'Ek Onkar'. Sri Guru Nanak Saheb talked about it. The Bhagats talked about it. But we do not have any problem in people seeing them as many. People have their limitations and needs.
'Vipra bahudha vadanti'.

stvdv

See the "One" in all and treat them accordingly

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At the 'Parmarthika level' and not at the 'Vyavaharika level'. In Vyavaharika I try to bring them down. Very clear about it. :D