• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another institution being protected due to what conservative extremists are imposing on America.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Another institution being protected due to what conservative extremists are imposing on America.

First was all the fencing around the Capitol because Trump and others believed there was election fraud in 2020. Of course this failed, and right wing extremists broke down barriers, assaulted police, and broke into the Capitol, which lead to the death of one insurrectionist. Over 140 police were injured, some permanently. Three have died related to this event. More robust fencing was set up to prevent more threats of violence.

On May 3rd a Supreme Court draft of a decision that aims to overturn Roe v Wade, and perhaps Casey and even Obergefell. The draft has five justices supporting the overturn of Roe and was written by Alito. A public protest in most major cities across the USA erupted in response. Reproductive right at the federal level could be eliminated by conservative extremists on the court. This majority was set by Trump's three SC picks. These picks were controversial for several reasons. One was that Obama had 11 months left in office but McConnell refused to let his pick of Merrick Garland be heard. he did this in case Trump won a long shot win. This happened, and trump was allowed to nominate his first justice. Trump then was able to pick another, and then a third. The third was the death of RBG just 40 days before the election of 2020. McConnell rushed through the nomination and barely got approval. All three picks were vetted by the Federalist Society, not the government. These picks were selected solely for their stance on Roe. The two men, Gorsuch and Kavenaugh, told the senate confirmation hearings and senators that they considered Roe settled law and wouldn't challenge it. Barrett was less certain.

So as an abortion rights challenge was argued before the SC in December 2021 there has been serious dread about Roe being limited, and perhaps even overturned. The questions in the hearing suggested the new conservative justices were not comfortable with Roe and Casey, and this has made pro-choice advocates worried. With 18 states having laws on the books that ban abortion if Roe is overturned, and 5 more states with laws pending, this would mean nearly half of the USA banning abortion.

As it stands various polls supporting abortion rights are from 58% to 72% depending upon the wording. Polls suggest that the Roe decision is acceptable, with a near prohibition on abortion in the third trimester unless a state allows it. It seems the SC has been selected to decide to overturn Roe, despite the assurances by Kavenaugh and Gorsuch. Conservative extremists are very happy with what McConnell and Trump have done, to exploit the system to give them authority and power beyond what the American people expect and desire.

With this decision due in late June the USA could see more protests for reproductive rights. Historically these protests have been civil, but with tempers heightened and the pro-life people facing their victory, there could be violence.

I argue that any violence is the result of conservatives pushing their agenda way beyond the norm and public attitude. There was no election fraud, but violence ensued. The majority of Americans want reproductive rights, but Christian extremists in government and the court are on the cusp of ending it. Violence may erupt, and only because the Christian/political/judicial right is pushing an agenda that serves evangelicals, a base of their power. This is all political, it is all unnecessary, and the public may be tired of having to fight for basic norms of voting and reproductive rights. How much more do conservatives want? Gay rights seem to be next in line to be eliminated.

'Nonscalable' fence erected outside Supreme Court amid abortion-related protests

upload_2022-5-5_11-7-27.png

pearl

How much more do conservatives want? Gay rights seem to be next in line to be eliminated.

I imagine there to be quite a list; the affordable care act, same sex marriage,
contraception, morning after pill or any abortive medicine. Ever get the feeling that men are so concerned with restricting women's rights has to do with protecting the 'seed' of man?

F1fan

Veteran Member
contraception, morning after pill or any abortive medicine. Ever get the feeling that men are so concerned with restricting women's rights has to do with protecting the 'seed' of man?
And how much of that attitude is derived from an extreme Christian set of beliefs?

These actions by conservatives is not to defend freedom or the constitution or the law, but to defend a religious identity that has less influence over the nation than it's had.

Conservatism, to my mind, it about insecure people of faith who feel they are losing something. What is that something?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if they'll have to put fencing around the Weather Bureau someday to keep from people against reporting warming trends.

"Fake temperatures!"

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I argue that any violence is the result of conservatives pushing their agenda way beyond the norm and public attitude.
No, when violence is committed it is the direct result of the personal choices of those committing the violence. When crimes are committed, it is the direct result of the personal choices of those committing the crimes. They alone are responsible for making the choice to engage in violence and to commit crimes, no matter what their reasons.

If Roe v Wade gets overturned, let us hope these feral rioters get hunted down and held criminally responsible in court, with all the same enthusiasm as those leading the charge to arrest every 1-6 attendee.

A “wall”, if you will. :frogface:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You mean The Handmaid's Tale isn't a utopian vision?

F1fan

Veteran Member
No, when violence is committed it is the direct result of the personal choices of those committing the violence. When crimes are committed, it is the direct result of the personal choices of those committing the crimes. They alone are responsible for making the choice to engage in violence and to commit crimes, no matter what their reasons.

If Roe v Wade gets overturned, let us hope these feral rioters get hunted down and held criminally responsible in court, with all the same enthusiasm as those leading the charge to arrest every 1-6 attendee.
:frogface:
Thus far the pro-rights liberals have been civil and responsible, unlike the criminal mob of Jan 6, who were led to crimes due to false claims if election fraud by Trump and other right wing extremist Republicans.

Trump’s criminal mob has taught us that some citizens are willing to devolve into violence.

Aštra’el

Trump’s criminal mob has taught us that some citizens are willing to devolve into violence.

Yes, many citizens are… especially the feral antifas and blms who rioted throughout 2020, destroying and looting businesses, burning buildings and vandalizing their own cities like the worthless human trash they are.

We can find examples on either side of the political spectrum of individuals who make the choice to engage in violence and crime to retaliate against their political opposition. Their reasons are no excuse. Crime is crime and they have only themselves to blame when their criminal choices land them in prison, the hospital or the grave.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes, many citizens are… especially the feral antifas and blms who rioted throughout 2020, destroying and looting businesses, burning buildings and vandalizing their own cities like the worthless human trash they are
First, 92% of BLM protesters behaved. Many cases of violence were instigated by white supremacists. Lets nite that BLM is an organization that fights police brutality and racism. So they are fighting for rights that society continues to deny black people. That’s a worthy fight, unlike fighting against fair elections like the right wing does.

Antifa is an independent group that targets violent right wingers, not innocent people or businesses. Trump has lied about Antifa quite a bit so if you believe what he says you will be misinformed.

We can find examples on either side of the political spectrum of individuals who make the choice to engage in violence and crime to retaliate against their political opposition. Their reasons are no excuse. Crime is crime and they have only themselves to blame when their criminal choices land them in prison, the hospital or the grave.
Sure, a liberal punches a right wing crazy in the nose. But to you that’s equal to the Jan 6 attack on our nation?

pearl

Conservatism, to my mind, it about insecure people of faith who feel they are losing something. What is that something?

A hold on their own sense of morality. I remember the promise made by Steve Banon to the Federalists Society, to turn back the last 50 years of constitutional law. I seems we may be well on the way to keeping that promise.

Aštra’el

@F1fan

I condemn politically motivated violence and crimes on all sides of the political spectrum. Can you say the same? Or will you sit there and make excuse after excuse for the side you favor, blaming everyone but those who commit the crimes themselves?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Based not just on this post, but on many of your posts, I'd like to ask:

What is the endgame you're hoping for in America?
A return to some sanity and freedoms would make a nice start without looking like a dystopian banana republic.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I argue that any violence is the result of conservatives pushing their agenda way beyond the norm and public attitude.
I argue that, at this stage, you can't call them "conservatives" any more. Conservatives like the status quo and try to maintain it. That is no longer the case. The GOP should from now on be called "regressive".