• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Excuse for a Mass Shooter

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest

Start at 1:20

Still want to wait for cops to prove to you the shooter did have white nationalist ties?
Calm down there, fella.
I never said the perp was or wasn't a white nationalist.
Only that conflicting reports in the media indicate a rapid state of flux.
To present only one side paints an incomplete picture.
So I post news items which should be of interest.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. On the basis that dead people are dead people.
Ref....
Motor vehicle fatality rate in U.S. by year - Wikipedia
In 2016 (latest year in chart)....
37,461 deaths
11.59 per 100K

I couldn't find a comparable chart for gun deaths.
But this source.....
Gun-Related Deaths in America Keep Going Up
.....says 38K+ gun deaths for 2016.
Of those, most are suicides.
Ref...
Gun Deaths Are Mostly Suicides

Btw, the only time anyone ever tried to kill me,
it was a guy using his car to run me down.
He admitted this intent to the cops.
Btw, he was a veteran.
(I didn't thank him for his service.)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ref....
Motor vehicle fatality rate in U.S. by year - Wikipedia
In 2016 (latest year in chart)....
37,461 deaths
11.59 per 100K

I couldn't find a comparable chart for gun deaths.
But this source.....
Gun-Related Deaths in America Keep Going Up
.....says 38K+ gun deaths for 2016.
Of those, most are suicides.
Ref...
Gun Deaths Are Mostly Suicides

Btw, the only time anyone ever tried to kill me,
it was a guy using his car to run me down.
He admitted this intent to the cops.
Btw, he was a veteran.
(I didn't thank him for his service.)
What I see here are two different standards. One manner of death is okay and acceptable and another isn't basically.

People almost always argue over quantity of deaths admist gun control debates.

Guns if you ask me should follow the same standards. Just like cars, there are accidental and intentional occurrences involving death.

The thing I don't like about the gun control debate is it's always over demonizing the tool itself and not the operator. You don't penalize responsible people for the guilty do you?

It seems cars and trucks are given a pass when it comes to killing people, but guns don't, which is the premise upon which I base my argument on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What I see here are two different standards. One manner of death is okay and acceptable and another isn't basically.

People almost always argue over quantity of deaths admist gun control debates.

Guns if you ask me should follow the same standards. Just like cars, there are accidental and intentional occurrences involving death.

The thing I don't like about the gun control debate is it's always over demonizing the tool itself and not the operator. You don't penalize responsible people for the guilty do you?

It seems cars and trucks are given a pass when it comes to killing people, but guns don't, which is the premise upon which I base my argument on.
Moreover, drunk driving resulting in death or injury just isn't taken that seriously.
It's similar to deaths due to airplane crashes....they receive far more attention
than train deaths, which receive far more attention than car deaths. We see
how this valuation drives regulatory attention to safety.

Anyway, I'll state for the record that I favor much more regulation of gun owners
& far more competence in government to accomplish this.

Twilight Hue

Moreover, drunk driving resulting in death or injury just isn't taken that seriously.
It's similar to deaths due to airplane crashes....they receive far more attention
than train deaths, which receive far more attention than car deaths. We see
how this valuation drives regulatory attention to safety.

Anyway, I'll state for the record that I favor much more regulation of gun owners
& far more competence in government to accomplish this.
I have no problems to mandatory safety courses same as drivers.

Written and verbal test, background check for felonies and a testing session at a designated firing range in order to pass and receive a permit for a firearm. That sounds fair.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Life lost is still life lost. Wasn't the point of the issue over people not being killed?

Cars and guns are just too dangerous to handle and operate regardless of intent.
Give it up for lost. ;) In the U.S. everyone thinks they are entitled to have at least two cars in the driveway. It is not as if people really need to drive everywhere, they could use mass transit, walk, or ride a bicycle, like in other civilized countries.... But no, Americans have their rights, rights to do whatever they want to do. :rolleyes:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Deaths would certainly go down I would think.
I do not know how we could eliminate cars at this point in time, because American society is built around them... All we can do is choose to minimize our driving and be as careful as possible. Those who drive more put themselves at a higher risk. That is their choice.

But we could change the gun laws. Some people would not like it but so what? Does everything have to be about what people like and think they are entitled to? We are no longer living in the same age as we were living in when the Constitution was written... It is time for some changes.

The weapons law of Japan begins by stating "No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords", and very few exceptions are allowed. Citizens are permitted to possess firearms for hunting and sport shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.

Overview of gun laws by nation - Wikipedia

“The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it’s not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel’s landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan’s approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America’s. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms” and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that “No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords,” later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it.”

How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Autonomous vehicles & other enhancements should decrease crash deaths.
Something to look forward to.
I suppose. I have only had two accidents in my 48 years of driving. Both were traumatic, but neither one was my fault. The last accident was in 2014 and after that I stopped driving except when absolutely necessary. My husband drives us to the grocery store and I ride my bicycle to work, 26 miles a day. I feel safer on a bicycle than in a car because I am not in traffic. I am usually on the sidewalk, which is legal here, or on a wide bike shoulder.

I would love to live somewhere where there are no cars, like on an island, but that is not feasible right now. :(

Twilight Hue

I suppose. I have only had two accidents in my 48 years of driving. Both were traumatic, but neither one was my fault. The last accident was in 2014 and after that I stopped driving except when absolutely necessary. My husband drives us to the grocery store and I ride my bicycle to work, 26 miles a day. I feel safer on a bicycle than in a car because I am not in traffic. I am usually on the sidewalk, which is legal here, or on a wide bike shoulder.

I would love to live somewhere where there are no cars, like on an island, but that is not feasible right now. :(

It would be a nice thought. It seems there are certain advantages with a simpler more friendly mode of transportation.

I do not know how we could eliminate cars at this point in time, because American society is built around them... All we can do is choose to minimize our driving and be as careful as possible. Those who drive more put themselves at a higher risk. That is their choice.

But we could change the gun laws. Some people would not like it but so what? Does everything have to be about what people like and think they are entitled to? We are no longer living in the same age as we were living in when the Constitution was written... It is time for some changes.

The weapons law of Japan begins by stating "No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords", and very few exceptions are allowed. Citizens are permitted to possess firearms for hunting and sport shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.

Overview of gun laws by nation - Wikipedia

“The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it’s not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel’s landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan’s approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America’s. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms” and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that “No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords,” later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it.”

How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths
That would require a constitutional convention. I don't think something like that would actually pass but I would like to see something like age requirements and safe gun handling and range time made mandatory for the possession of firearms.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That would require a constitutional convention. I don't think something like that would actually pass but I would like to see something like age requirements and safe gun handling and range time made mandatory for the possession of firearms.
No, it would not pass because this country is too mired in life, liberty and the pursuit of personal happiness. This is diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught, which is what most Christians in this country profess to believe. :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Most of this seems to revolve around school shootings which suggests the mind of the young adults today is far too immature for this particular generation to handle a firearm.

In reality these occurrences are still very rare. Mass media however makes it appear that this is a widespread problem which in reality isn't really the case.

School shootings and general violence have been going on for a long long time but only caught attention because it moved over to the suburbs, when people start moving out of cities. Inner city school's very rarely bat an eyebrow, but once it starts hitting the suburban schools it suddenly became big news.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
People die from cars all the time.
28058960_1598435500247825_6166575219757499409_n.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Of course, be careful on a bike.
A guy ran me down once, trying to kill me (so he told the cops).