• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another euthanasia debate

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In some instances euthanasia is 100% a person deciding for themselves they wish assistance in ending their own life.
So I'm confused what your position is to be honest.

There are so many gray areas, it’s difficult to give a definitive position, but as a general rule, I am against ending a life by means of euthanasia.

I have control over my own actions, but have no control over the actions of another.

We Never Know

No Slack
There are so many gray areas, it’s difficult to give a definitive position, but as a general rule, I am against ending a life by means of euthanasia.

I have control over my own actions, but have no control over the actions of another.

If you are sane and suffering from a disease, would you like having the choice of having aid to end it all?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are sane and suffering from a disease, would you like having the choice of having aid to end it all?

No. While I have no choice in having the disease or even the pain from said disease (pain can be managed), suffering, for me, is optional.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you mean living will. Has everyone completed one?
I don’t think everyone has. It’s one of those things no one really worries about until someone else brings it up for consideration. Though that may well be a cultural difference. I mean given the climate of so called “ambulance chasers” in the US vs the rest of the world, if you get me?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your experience? It sounds like it's pretty limited, as what you describe is not the case for a great many people.

I watched my daughter fight an aggressive sarcoma for nearly two years, tell me one day that she did not want to fight anymore, and die in my arms 27 hours later.

What's yours?

No one is asking you to decide when another being's life should end, just whether the other being should have the right to decide that for themselves and get assistance with it if they want.

You would do well to reread the OP and/or look up the definition of euthanasia.

2 of my relatives opted to be euthanised in the past couple of years. Both suffering from terminal cancer.

They went out on their own terms surrounded by family and without having to eke out a few more month of life in constant pain.

I think we should have the choice.

My dad has late stage dementia, although euthanasia is not an option where he lives. He would have opted for it to be done when he reaches a certain point had this been an option.

Something like that is ethically quite complex though, as by that point the person won't understand what is happening and what their previous wishes that they made when they were more capable were. I'm not sure where I stand on that.

pearl

We all die. I'd be more upset if someone did so for me. My morals can't save me so I'd say yes. Let it be that dying person's choice.

Several years ago it was on the ballot in Massachusetts and lost. One of the questions raised, the possibility of misuse. Persuading another that they have become a burden, especially the elderly. So much of the pain and suffering and burden can be assumed through hospice or palliative care.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I watched my daughter fight an aggressive sarcoma for nearly two years, tell me one day that she did not want to fight anymore, and die in my arms 27 hours later.

What's yours?

Mine is not anecdotal, which is why it's better for a discussion like this. I'm sorry that happened to you, and I'm glad she was able to go that quickly when she wanted to, but that's not a typical story.

You would do well to reread the OP and/or look up the definition of euthanasia.

Take your own advice. Yet again, no one is asking YOU to decide when someone else's life should end. The question is whether people should be able to decide that for themselves.

Last edited: