• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another euthanasia debate

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Since Abortion is in vogue on RF right now, I thought I’d throw in my own debate topic about human life and death.
What are your opinions? Your arguments? Your experiences?
Have at it, but play nicely please

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I stand firmly against euthanasia. In my experience, when one decides they want to die, they will die fairly quickly on their own without the need for euthanizing agents.

I euthanized my sick cat, and his eyes were locked onto mine as he died. I immediately felt that I had no right deciding when another being's life should end.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since Abortion is in vogue on RF right now, I thought I’d throw in my own debate topic about human life and death.

I'm reminded of the controversy surrounding Dr. Kevorkian and the issue of doctor-assisted suicide. I remember a lot of other doctors condemned it as immoral and unethical, although I never really bought their reasoning. If someone is suffering and wants to die, why not let them?

I was especially disgusted with other doctors condemning Kevorkian, since they ostensibly would rather that someone needlessly suffer for months or even years, just so they can make more money. I think that's why they opposed him, because they saw him as causing their industry to lose money.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I get that it can't be carte blanche, but I should have the right to end my own life in cases of terminal illness and suffering if I wish.

What if there is extreme suffering in the absence of terminal illness or when there is a reasonable chance for recovery?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a Christian I am said it is unchristian to euthanize people.
As jurist who studied a secular juridical system, I cannot but consider the right to s biological testament.
Where people decide if they want a quick painless death. Only and if death is imminent.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What if there is extreme suffering in the absence of terminal illness or when there is a reasonable chance for recovery?

Then the question gets more interesting.
Personally my position doesn't really change. However I live in a place where euthanasia isn't legal despite majority of the community being in favour.

Not sure where the majority of people would stand on your question, and I'd see terminal illness as the immediate concern.

Hopefully that doesn't come across as too evasive. Happy to discuss further though.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Completely in favour. Everybody should be free to terminate her life without needing to go under a train, if she desires so.

I also come from Switzerland where several organisations provide assisted suicide (which is admittedly not the same as euthanasia).

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I had to think about this. I rather it be my choice by signing a (can't remember) a non resuscitate. I don't know if there's another form for that procedure.

We all die. I'd be more upset if someone did so for me. My morals can't save me so I'd say yes. Let it be that dying person's choice.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Completely in favour. Everybody should be free to terminate her life without needing to go under a train, if she desires so.

I also come from Switzerland where several organisations provide assisted suicide (which is admittedly not the same as euthanasia).

Ciao

- viole
What are the differences?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I stand firmly against euthanasia. In my experience, when one decides they want to die, they will die fairly quickly on their own without the need for euthanizing agents.

What is your experience? It sounds like it's pretty limited, as what you describe is not the case for a great many people.

I euthanized my sick cat, and his eyes were locked onto mine as he died. I immediately felt that I had no right deciding when another being's life should end.

No one is asking you to decide when another being's life should end, just whether the other being should have the right to decide that for themselves and get assistance with it if they want.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

Euthanising agents? Such as a peaceful overdose of morphine surrounded by loved ones or a painful self induced hanging all alone?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Should the being have the right for themself?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Euthanising agents? Such as a peaceful overdose of morphine surrounded by loved ones or a painful self induced hanging all alone?

You speak as though it’s that black and white.

What if one is unable to communicate to their loved ones that they would prefer to not have a “peaceful overdose of morphine?”

I know I certainly wouldn’t want another making such a decision for me.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
You speak as though it’s that black and white.

What if one is unable to communicate to their loved ones that they would prefer to not have a “peaceful overdose of morphine?”

I know I certainly wouldn’t want another making such a decision for me.
Isn’t that what a DNR order is for?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Husband and i decided long ago that should one of us lose their marbles or are suffering with no chance of recovery then its a quick trip to Dignitas in Switzerland.

We Never Know

No Slack
In my opinion if a person is sane and suffering from disease, I think they should be able to choose to live or have help with ending their life.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
...and a Living Will.

"A living will is a legal document that tells others what your personal choices are about end-of-life medical treatment. It lays out the procedures or medications you want—or don’t want—to prolong your life if you can’t talk with the doctors yourself."