• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Alleged Anti-Semitic Hate Crime, this Time Los Angeles

Cooky

Veteran Member
Surprised this wasn't posted before but I may have missed it.
Seattle man accused of hate crime attack near Los Angeles synagogue - CNN

The attacker in the story allegedly yelled religious slurs and used his car to try to run over two people near a synagogue, he did plead not guilty and did wreck his car shortly afterward so maybe he is just a really bad driver and all this a misunderstanding?

Mo-Mo went psycho.

...Yeah, this was all over the local news the other day here in the LA area. He's being charged with a hate crime.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Mo-Mo went psycho.
...Yeah, this was all over the local news the other day here in the LA area. He's being charged with a hate crime.

Kind of odd we didn't see a thread about it considering all the other hate crimes threads we've been seeing here, I wonder why?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This is the first I've heard about it, personally. Probably received less attention compared to other recent occurrences due to no deaths or injuries this time.
I would hope that RFers wouldn't treat hate crimes differently based on who perpetrated them, as you're implying.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is the first I've heard about it, personally. Probably received less attention compared to other recent occurrences due to no deaths or injuries this time.
I would hope that RFers wouldn't treat hate crimes differently based on who perpetrated them, as you're implying.

Why not? When the amount of occurances with the one far outweighs the rest.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why not? When the amount of occurrences with the one far outweighs the rest.

If most hate crimes are being perpetrated by Islamic fundamentalists rather than by white nationalists, then it would indeed be alarming that the media is reporting those perpetrated by the latter more so than the former. Any sources to confirm this?

Cooky

Veteran Member
If most hate crimes are being perpetrated by Islamic fundamentalists rather than by white nationalists, then it would indeed be alarming that the media is reporting those perpetrated by the latter more so than the former. Any sources to confirm this?

Are we talking globally? Or just here in the states?

...Because I think the former would be fairly easy to prove.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I thought we were talking here in the U.S. since that's what's being referenced?

Well it's a Muslim attacking Jews. I don't think that's specifically a U.S. thing, but the situation did occur on our land.

...So IDK.

(Note the perpetrator was a Somali immigrant)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Kind of odd we didn't see a thread about it considering all the other hate crimes threads we've been seeing here, I wonder why?

To many hate crimes lately to address them all. the increase is dramatic since Trump began spreading hate ideology in his run for president. You cannot expect to have everyone referenced, but thanks for bringing this on to the front.

Cooky

Veteran Member
To many hate crimes lately to address them all. the increase is dramatic since Trump began spreading hate ideology in his run for president. You cannot expect to have everyone referenced, but thanks for bringing this on to the front.

Too many hate crimes? Uh, there really aren't that many. I did see one about a Jewish kid who was punched in the face in Brooklyn... Nobody knows who did it.

Boy, 9, socked in face in Brooklyn in possible anti-Semitic hate crime attack - NY Daily News

Perpetrator looks possibly Arab.
2000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Is there any hard evidence that anything that Trump said is directly responsible for any increase in hate crimes?

Here are the statistics for hate crimes from the F.B.I searchable by year from 1995-2017, from this we can compare claims and see possible trends if any:
FBI — Hate Crime

Two randomly selected examples from the victims tab:
2010:
FBI — Victims
From 2017:
FBI — Victims

Overall it seems a mixed bag

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well it's a Muslim attacking Jews. I don't think that's specifically a U.S. thing, but the situation did occur on our land.

...So IDK.

(Note the perpetrator was a Somali immigrant)

Well, obviously Islamic fundamentalism has a much wider presence globally than does white nationalists/neo-nazis, but of course instances that happen within our own country will be bigger news than something that is par for the course abroad.