• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying proselytizing (and preaching)

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sounds like if you go my route you can, as I do, refer to these encounters as Bible lessons as you beat the heads of proselytizers with Bible learning stuff they don't know about.:D

Yes, I have outperformed many Christians who have attempted to preach at me. Some of them have even offered to "correct" me.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It's not a point of being taught properly but of how the teacher interprets the bible

Not being taught properly is one excuse that some Christians will use whenever they're outsmarted by another Christian or, worse, a non-Christian who knows the Bible better than they do. Another excuse I've heard is that non-Christians lack "spiritual discernment" and can't truly understand the Bible, despite being ex-Christians. The truth is that most former Christians know the Bible pretty well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not being taught properly is one excuse that some Christians will use whenever they're outsmarted by another Christian or, worse, a non-Christian who knows the Bible better than they do. Another excuse I've heard is that non-Christians lack "spiritual discernment" and can't truly understand the Bible, despite being ex-Christians. The truth is that most former Christians know the Bible pretty well.
I hate that bs excuse. Do they seriously think we suffered amnesia and have forgotten all we learned from the Church when we were filled with the Holy Spook? You can find thousands of churches teaching what we're talking about.
Really, it's just more Christian arrogance. They say they promote and like humility and piety, but it requires a high degree of arrogance to ignore what someone says and decalre you know what that person was going through better than the person who went through it, even knowing better despite having never taken that journey of going apostate.

Colt

Ath
I'm speaking from the perspective of a former evangelical Christian who understands how the game of evangelism is played. Being a former Christian appears to have put a target on my back because whenever some Christians learn that I am no longer a Christian, they seem to resort to immediately threatening me with God's wrath and hellfire. I recently encountered a situation in which several Christians accused me of being a witch and tried to learn personal information about me in order to confront me (read here). Nothing occurred because these Christians were unable to find out any information about me that would have allowed them to confront me.

As a former evangelical Christian, I know that Christians feel compelled to spread the gospel and convert nonbelievers to Christianity, but now that I'm on the opposite side, I find evangelizing by Christians to be quite annoying. It also makes me feel ashamed because it reminds me that I was once overbearing with other non-Christians and even with Christians who didn't believe exactly as I did. I have even apologized to some of these people since I left Christianity. I know that there are several other former Christians on RF, so I was wondering if they've also been confronted by Christians about no longer being a Christian and how they handled it. If you are not an ex-Christian but you've been preached at and coerced by Christians to convert to Christianity, then how did you handle the situation?
Atheist proselytize on this site all the time but they get a pass on that?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm speaking from the perspective of a former evangelical Christian who understands how the game of evangelism is played. Being a former Christian appears to have put a target on my back because whenever some Christians learn that I am no longer a Christian, they seem to resort to immediately threatening me with God's wrath and hellfire. I recently encountered a situation in which several Christians accused me of being a witch and tried to learn personal information about me in order to confront me (read here). Nothing occurred because these Christians were unable to find out any information about me that would have allowed them to confront me.

As a former evangelical Christian, I know that Christians feel compelled to spread the gospel and convert nonbelievers to Christianity, but now that I'm on the opposite side, I find evangelizing by Christians to be quite annoying. It also makes me feel ashamed because it reminds me that I was once overbearing with other non-Christians and even with Christians who didn't believe exactly as I did. I have even apologized to some of these people since I left Christianity. I know that there are several other former Christians on RF, so I was wondering if they've also been confronted by Christians about no longer being a Christian and how they handled it. If you are not an ex-Christian but you've been preached at and coerced by Christians to convert to Christianity, then how did you handle the situation?
I think I saw you post this before in another format and on another thread.

Just makes me wonder sometimes on a couple of issues of which I am sure there are good answers but I am ignorant of it.:

1. How doe they learn that you are no longer a Christian?
  2. How is it a "game of evangelism"?
  3. What denomination is it that you encounter? (I ask because I never use hellfire and damnation when sharing Jesus.
  4. How do you "coerce" someone into Christianity?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I hate that bs excuse. Do they seriously think we suffered amnesia and have forgotten all we learned from the Church when we were filled with the Holy Spook? You can find thousands of churches teaching what we're talking about.
Really, it's just more Christian arrogance. They say they promote and like humility and piety, but it requires a high degree of arrogance to ignore what someone says and decalre you know what that person was going through better than the person who went through it, even knowing better despite having never taken that journey of going apostate.

I agree with what you've said, Shadow Wolf. A few Christians have told me that it was God's plan that I suffered abuse and neglect while I was growing up. I counseled with a pastor once, and he told me that it was obvious to him that I'm a cursed soul, that God hates me and is punishing me for the sins of my biological parents. He shared his "revelation" about me after I told him about my childhood and how I had suffered abuse and neglect at home and bullying and harassment while in school. I have more stories to share about my experiences with some Christians during my lifetime, but my point is that I understand what you're talking about.

PruePhillip

Just watch a Diseny cartoon as seen the subtle preaching. We all have to be woke now, and guys can tell girls what tampons they use.
It's everywhere in society, you just need to open your eyes to it.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with what you've said, Shadow Wolf. A few Christians have told me that it was God's plan that I suffered abuse and neglect while I was growing up. I counseled with a pastor once, and he told me that it was obvious to him that I'm a cursed soul, that God hates me and is punishing me for the sins of my biological parents. He shared his "revelation" about me after I told him about my childhood and how I had suffered abuse and neglect at home and bullying and harassment while in school. I have more stories to share about my experiences with some Christians during my lifetime, but my point is that I understand what you're talking about.

That was very sad and inappropriate response by the pastor.

Regards Tony

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The threat of hell probably puts fear into the hearts of converts. But does fear of hell translate into love for God? Does fear of God sending them to hell make anyone into a loving, and virtuous person? I don't think so!

Isn't it best to do good works because you genuinely desire to see people benefit from your works? Isn't good works to keep yourself out of hell not good works at all?

The whole set up of Christianity is that every non believer knows God is real, and that they need the Gospel message for eternal salvation. According to Christians atheists delude themselves from something supposedly obvious. According to Christians the Bible and the message of salvation is evident truth. Christians are under the false impression that non believers who have heard the message are rejecting the obvious truth. According to them these non believers harden their hearts and cause themselves to be deluded.

They plant their seeds because proselytizing is a mandate of their faith. They consider their message to be simple and obvious to all.

They believe there is a spirit that eventually convicts every person of their truth.

The tactics they often use is fear, and a supposed merciful love for souls. If they are Bible Christians that is what they are mandated to do.
Also they are forbidden to judge people as doomed to hell. They are to leave that judgment to their God.

They are supposed to be non violent in all circumstances; even unto death.

They are not supposed to be aggressive. They are not supposed to be political. Christian nationalism is contrary to Christianity. Christians are never supposed to enforce conformity to their truth.

They are to boldly go out into the world to preach, and teach. They are not supposed to keep company with non believers. At the same time they have to spread their message to the whole earth of people.

They are extremely annoying, but at the same time I feel like a lot of them are caught up in the Christian trap. Of course there are a lot of Christians who are not Christian at all, but they have their own versions of it, and take it very seriously. Then there are pseudo Christians. Then there are those who are cultural Christians; they love the traditions and resonate with some of the teachings.

For Christians saving faith is to take their God at his word and believe in that God and keep his commandments. As believers they are instructed to not lean on their own understanding. Once they believe they don't look at their faith critically or skeptically.

Growing up with Christianity was no fun, and certainly set me back intellectually and in other ways. I always questioned it, and I always tried to see things for myself instead of through the goggles of the Bible.

I've been proselytized and verbally bullied by Christians quite a bit. Often they couldn't care less what I decided to do with their message.

Christianity to me is most unimpressive. There are a lot of Christians that are really annoying and insincere as well even though they take their Bible very seriously.

There are some sincere Christians out there, and I really feel bad for them.

Christianity certainly left it's influence on me. But eventually I broke free of it.

As for proselytizers, I don't run into them much anymore. But I can tell when they are doing it wrong.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Yeah, so I'm going to need a source for this story. It should have made the papers.
You'd be amazed what doesn't make the papers when it concerns non-Christians in America.

understands how the game of evangelism is played
It goes deeper than all you've said, and this is where what @Quintessence said - particularly about bridge building - is so important. In the proselytizing game, in a lot of instances it's actually the proselytizer that's the victim. Their training is designed to be annoying. The questions that they ask and the assumptions on others lives that they're taught to ask and make are specifically meant to illicit negative reactions. Being yelled at and having doors slammed in their face. Having their faith ridiculed and "tested" by the godless hordes.

Their Elders know exactly what kind of reaction they're going to get, and that's what they're counting on. Because when they return to the church and have these horror stories of how the Sinners Out There received the message, they're met with open arms and love. They're home again, they're safe, and the church will protect them from such obviously evil people. It's us versus them, and they're just too lost...

That's also why they go out in pairs. So that they each have "backup" against temptation should there be a more kind and persuasive voice to try and draw them from their entrapment.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
In the proselytizing game, in a lot of instances it's actually the proselytizer that's the victim. Their training is designed to be annoying. The questions that they ask and the assumptions on others lives that they're taught to ask and make are specifically meant to illicit negative reactions. Being yelled at and having doors slammed in their face. Having their faith ridiculed and "tested" by the godless hordes.

Their Elders know exactly what kind of reaction they're going to get, and that's what they're counting on. Because when they return to the church and have these horror stories of how the Sinners Out There received the message, they're met with open arms and love. They're home again, they're safe, and the church will protect them from such obviously evil people. It's us versus them, and they're just too lost...

That's also why they go out in pairs. So that they each have "backup" against temptation should there be a more kind and persuasive voice to try and draw them from their entrapment.

Yes... this is sadly true.

Even on my liberal college campus, we get several different religious groups "sharing the good word" in the square. Usually, they go in groups, but one time I saw a young lady advertising a church youth group all on her own. She looked incredibly scared... so scared that she was visibly shaking and her voice was cracking when she spoke. She seemed genuinely terrified that some liberal/atheist maniac was going to attack her. She was ready to be a martyr for her cause.

All because of the crazy stories she's heard of people reacting poorly to Christians' absurd forms of proselytization...